Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Super-Power

As the U.S. stumbles towards its worst showing ever, interesting to note the emergence of that new field super-power: Sweden...! Kluft, Olsson, Holm, Bergqvist, et al are certainly showing up big-time. Wonder if it's great coaching, inspiration from the 1995 WC, "every dog has its day", diet, anomalously superb genes, or what...? After all, with the exception of an occasional Kjell, Cristor, or Anders, the Swedes haven't had much in the way of t&f superstars since WW II.

Re: The New Super-Power

Just watch out for a young man by the name of Johan Wissman in the mens 200 .....

Comment

The big talent coming up is 18-year-old Linus Thörnblad, who jumped 2.30 (7-6 1/2), but unfortunately it was after the WC qualifying window had closed.

He's competes for IFK Lund, my old club!

Comment

US track is on the decline. The poor showing of our distance runners has now spread to our sprinters. What is Masaback doing about this.

Comment

Seems like cyclical history repeating itself. There was much bemoaning the decline of the US as a sprint power in the '70s, when America garnered one bronze in '72 and was shut out of the medals in '76. Similarly, there has been recent discussion on this board arguing Canada is finished its brief moment in the sprinting sun. Hardly.

Comment

Canada's toast. How can you teach kids to sprint in a country where they have to go to school by dogsled? Besides, their diet is bad they've never even heard of Canadian bacon! What's up with that, eh?

Comment

I dunno. Run beside the sled?

Comment

I have a question for GH. Is it currently or was it ever the case that Koch wasn't German record holder at 400 while simultaneously holding the world record?

Comment

"The world record of Marita Koch is also the german record. DLV accepts the old GDR-records as records of whole Germany."

I received the above from Eberhard Vollmer at leichtathletik. End of discussion. Still curious if GH remembers anything being printed which might have given that impression, some years ago. (Maybe it's the sudden temperature drops in Canada, Gary, you know, contraction and expansion of the skull)

Comment

Let's not forget the US multi events though. Tom Pappas is getting better every time and at 23 years old, Bryan Clay is the future. That area is definitely on the rise in my opinion.

Comment

My dog sled is in the shop for repairs, guess I'll skip work , fry up some bacon and watch CBC track.
                      cheers GH

Comment

>US track is on the decline. The poor showing of
                        >our distance runners has now spread to our
                        >sprinters. What is Masback doing about this.

WTF? If we're not running fast, its not Craig's fault, but that of the athlete(s) and their coaches. Get off the couch and train, stop playing video games and eating McD's.

Frankly its amazing how every ill in our sport in the US is blamed on Craig and/or USATF. The abdication of personal responsibility for one's own actions is the root cause.

There is more money in the sport than ever before, even domestically, and Craig is the reason behind that. If we cannot field winners even with increased resources on all levels, don't blame him, but look in the mirror.

Comment

>US track is on the decline. The poor showing of
                          >our distance runners has now spread to our
                          >sprinters. What is Masaback doing about this.

MASBACK IS BUSY MARVELLING AT THE FAST TIMES OF THE KENYANS, EPO-IANS, AND MOROCCANS....SHOULD HE NOT BE SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER ABOUT THIS OBVIOUS CHEATING THAT DESTROYS AMERICAN DISTANCE RUNNERS? NAH, HE'S COLLECTING A NICE CHECK. SSSSSHHHHHHHHH!

Comment

One of the problems I see with the future of track in the US is the decline of track at the collegiate level. Up till now we've basically been able to sit back and watch our universities crank out our world class track and field athletes just as they do pro football and basketball players. With so many collegiate programs (men's anyways) getting cut every year where's that going to leave the US team at the Olympics and World Championships? While I don't think we can hold Masback and USATF responsible for the current performances at the World's if collegiate track all but disappears in the US in the future I do think we should hold them responsible for not having a back-up plan for developing our world class athletes whether that may be a well funded club system or a nationalized type program etc.

Comment

> While I don't
                              >think we can hold Masback and USATF responsible
                              >for the current performances at the World's if
                              >collegiate track all but disappears in the US in
                              >the future I do think we should hold them
                              >responsible for not having a back-up plan for
                              >developing our world class athletes whether that
                              >may be a well funded club system or a
                              >nationalized type program etc.

This has been the one program that Bill Roe has been pushing, at the expense of all others, since he became USATF President. Its showing some dividends, but is growing at a crawl outside of the Northeast. There are 4 Regional Champs each summer, with a Club Nationals in July that was well attended and with great performances in most events. The framework is there, it just needs to be supported, and that is where the ball is being dropped, by the clubs.

Comment

Working...
                              X