Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: The New Super-Power

hey,MASBACK CONLEY AND EVERYONE AT USATF HAVE WORKED VERY HARD TO PULL AMERICAN TRACK&FIELD OUT OF A GIANT HOLE THEY WALKED INTO.THE 800-10,000 IS GETTING BETTER YOU HAVE TO TRAIN HARDER&HARDER.

JOHNNY GRAY STILL HOILDS 800 INDOORS&OUT-142.65
    1:45.0 INDOORS.HE ALSO HOLDS OUTDOOR WORLD R 600 METERS 1:12.48 THE INDOOR 1000 YARDS 2:04.23 ON BANKED WOOD
    STEVE SCOTT 3:47.65 MILE,,,3:51 INDOORS
    MARK EVERETT 1;07.5 600YDS.
    BOB KENNEDY-12:52 5,000
    DOUG PADILLA-13:20.8 INDOOR 5,000 ON WOOD
    RICK WOLHUTER-2:13.9 1,000 METERS OUTDOORS
    EARL JONES 2:46.8 1200 METERS OUTDOORS
    THESE RECORDS ALMOST ALL SET IN THE 1980,S ARE AMERICAN RUNNERS NEED TO STARET TAKING SHOTS INDOORS AND OUT AT RECORDS.TAKE MILE RACES OUT IN 1:51-1:53 INDOORS IF YOU DIE THEN TRAIN HARDER TRY AGAIN,,THE 800 47,,48,,49,,1:14,,1:15,,1:17 ECT.ARE YOUNG RUNNERS NEED TO GET OFF THERE BUTTS AND TRY TO BREAK RECORDS.WE HAVE THE TALENT IN USA THERE ARE AT LEAST 20-30- RUNNERSWHO COULD RUN 142 OR BETTER//UNDER 3:50 IN THE MILE.WE HAVE TRUCK LOADS OF DISTANCE GUYS.
    YOU HAVE TO TAKE RACES OUT TRAIN-HARDER!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>Unfortunately, the Nigerian federation (and
    government in general) is so corrupt that the
    leadership necessary for the talent to rise to
    the top will most likely never materialize.<

Unfortunately? I'd say that's pretty damn fortunate.

Leave a comment:

• dl
    replied

Unfortunately, the Nigerian federation (and government in general) is so corrupt that the leadership necessary for the talent to rise to the top will most likely never materialize.

Leave a comment:

• viva voz
    replied

>As long as there sprints the US will dominate
    >track and field. If the US suddenly becomes more
    >competitive in distance running then that is just
    >more icing on the cake.

not if nigeria improves, with a less political federation. nigeria has 133 million people. the u.s. has 280 million, but the 35 million black people are its pool of sprint talent. if Nigeria reaches caribbean's level, the u.s. will get crushed.

Leave a comment:

• blacklily
    replied

>One of the problems I see with the future of
    >track in the US is the decline of track at the
    >collegiate level. Up till now we've basically
    >been able to sit back and watch our universities
    >crank out our world class track and field
    >athletes just as they do pro football and
    >basketball players. With so many collegiate
    >programs (men's anyways) getting cut every year
    >where's that going to leave the US team at the
    >Olympics and World Championships? While I don't
    >think we can hold Masback and USATF responsible
    >for the current performances at the World's if
    >collegiate track all but disappears in the US in
    >the future I do think we should hold them
    >responsible for not having a back-up plan for
    >developing our world class athletes whether that
    >may be a well funded club system or a
    >nationalized type program etc.

Has U.S. collegiate track declined in terms of performance? In field & especially sprints, I don't think it has. The eliminated college programs aren't a factor here. The axed programs were second-rate anyway (even though I agree that it's sad to see them get cut), hardly producing prime Olympic contenders.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I think US in male and Russia in female are clearly the "SuperPowers" of T&F. Sweden and Belarus have some stars but in a team competition they will be smashed by US or Russia. I also think China in 2008 OG will have outstanding results (mainly in female events).
    SuperPower for me is to have a consistent team in almost of events, this means athletes in top 20 for example and only US and Russia (female) accomplishes that.

Leave a comment:

• michael lewis
    replied

Only if they can get away with running less distance than their competitors.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

i expect china to be the worlds female track power in 2008. even if they do nothing until then.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

What has happened to British distance running. They are more lost than the American distance runners.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

How about Belarus as a new new super power, well certainly in the throws...

Leave a comment:

• michael lewis
    replied

"US track is on the decline. The poor showing of our distance runners has now spread to our sprinters. What is Masaback doing about this."

What a bunch of BS. T&FN had a cover issue in 1992 wondering whether the future of US sprinting was in trouble. Ever heard of Michael Johnson and Maurice Greene? Every time the US is shut out of the medals, like Montreal 1976, its like there's a crisis with US sprinting. The US has never been on top 100% of the time and there is no crisis, they'll have another set of superstars on top before long. Plus ca change,....

Leave a comment:

• michael lewis
    replied

"Just watch out for a young man by the name of Johan Wissman in the mens 200 ....."

Someone (was it you?) made a nearly identical post just before the men's 200 took place in Paris. Turned out there wasn't much to watch out for.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

As long as there sprints the US will dominate track and field. If the US suddenly becomes more competitive in distance running then that is just more icing on the cake.

Didn't an American win the decathlon this year. That is the most important event in all of track and field. The winner of this event is usually considered the world's best athlete.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

hi this is niklas arrhenius. i am home from my lds mission and am attending brigham young university. i plan on throwing with my older brother dan on the track team here. i think sweden does a good job recognizing talent and supporting the future hopefulls. its had a lot to do with my choice of which country to compete for and what will happen later down the road.

Leave a comment:

• Tvarish
    replied

>The big talent coming up is 18-year-old Linus
    >Thörnblad, who jumped 2.30 (7-6 1/2), but
    >unfortunately it was after the WC qualifying
    >window had closed.

He's competes for IFK Lund,
    >my old club!

How about US Natl. HS Discus Record Holder Niklas Arrhenius (sp.)? Also finished 2nd in the world juniors. I believe he has been on a Mormon Mission for the last year but is rumored to be coming back in Sept.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X