Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: Track Bookout's first love

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasket ... ry/9061272

Not sure if this has been linked or not.

I have worked a number of HS and college meets where Bookout was competing.. my favorite memory is of a HS meet held at an assymetrical facility with a short left field with a 4 ' chain link fence at about 70 feet.. He put it over the fence.. it was within the sector so we just snaked the tape thru the chain link and measured it... I dont remember the distance but he won by about 20 feet and nobody complained.

Comment

I hope Bookout does well. He is obviously a very gifted athlete. My concern is this. In the shot, he has not appreciably improved since his jr year in HS, (five years ago). It will be interesting to see how well he can do when he fully concentrates on the shot alone. He threw 61-9 this year and needs to get to the 70s for the 2008 Olympics.

I assume he will be on a heavy weight training program as he talks about pumping up to 300+ lbs from his current 275.

Time will tell.

Of course a big football or basketball contract could kill the shot.

Comment

I always thought Bookout would be better in the discus than the shot because he is pretty agile for 6'8" ( 6'8" may be his basketball height.. but he is an honest 6'6", maybe 6'7")
        I may change my mind if he bulks up to 300#.

Comment

Bookout ain't gonna bulk up to throw.

He is going to have bankable big bucks offered to him by NBA teams and he'll have to compare sure BB money to the possible earnings that he might realize throwing heavy objects around. Remember he has a 4.0 GPA so this won't be too tough a problem for him to figure out.

Anyway, it is true that at 61-9 last year he has apparently not improved since high school and he'd have to add 10 feet of real estate in the next couple of years. That is a tall order, and extremely unlikely. He is certainly gifted but he seems to have made his athletic career decision (BB) four years ago and the window of opportunity for him to become a WR level thrower may be past.

Funny thing about first loves... once you leave them behind you've usually lost your chances for renewing the romance.

Comment

See story on front page: he says he's now concentrating (finally!) on the shot.

Comment

I'm really (refreshingly) surprised by Bookout. Apparentely he really likes track better than Basketball(money) and baseball(hs).

Comment

Funny, I would have guess that Kevin's first love was field :lol:

Comment

I think some are selling Bookout short. To throw over 62 feet with less than two months of training would seem to indicate he can get in the 65-66 range fairly quickly.
                  He's making the smart decision, because he's not NBA material.

Comment

Originally posted by Highland
                    I think some are selling Bookout short. To throw over 62 feet with less than two months of training would seem to indicate he can get in the 65-66 range fairly quickly.
                    He's thrown 63'11. I have no doubt the guy will hit 67 soon.

Comment

Remember, he went down in weight. Glad to see it is paying off.

Comment

I agree with Highland that Kevin Bookout is not an NBA prospect. He was a good but not great basketball player. Bookout and his older brothers are/were all multi-sport stars in high school in Oklahoma. One brother played football and the other played baseball at OU. Kevin completed the trifecta.starting at forward for four years at OU; I suspect for his name as much as for his basketball prowess.
                        He had the size to dominate the HS shot but the 16# is a great equalizer. I have no doubt he will improve to the 68-70 foot range but I believe, with his height and mobility his best bet for world class performance is in the discus.

Comment

Originally posted by Highland
                          no , no NBA

Comment

IIRC, his best stats in high school were in baseball.

Comment

Baseball is my other thought. He was a overpowering pitcher and had astronomical batting average and HR record against HS pitching. Dunno how he would fare against the big boys.

Comment

Working...
                              X