Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baumann Coming Out of Retirement?

After dropping out of the 10,000m at the 2003 IAAF World Championships in Athletics, Dieter Baumann decided that he should withdraw his entry for the ING New York City Marathon and retire. He ran a "farewell" road race in his hometown of Tübingen the following month, and hadn't raced since.

That is, until last Saturday when he finished third at a mid-level road race in Bietigheim. Although 40 years-old, he was only beaten by Alexander Lubina of Germany and Nicholas Koech of Kenya. He was only 12 seconds behind the winner.

BTW, Baumann ran season bests of 7:43.93 and 13:15.07 in 2003 before his retirement.

David Monti
    Race Results Weekly

He also ran a 1:07:15 halfmarathon in December over a difficult, hilly (+319/-319) and slippery course in Tuebingen.

http://www.tagblatt.de/nikolauslauf/...esamt_2005.pdf.

I think he could drop a 2:13/14 marathon right now if he really wanted to, but he insists on calling himself a "Freizeitlaeufer" (~recreational runner).

But that a recreational runner beats many of the best german runners (Ghirmai, Hallmann, Koch, Beckmann) except Lubina and Fitschen (who ran in Bozen) is as much a sign of the sad state of german distance running as of Baumann's ability.

Comment

Originally posted by Atanvarno
      He also ran a 1:07:15 halfmarathon in December over a difficult, hilly (+319/-319) and slippery course in Tuebingen.
      Thanks for that additional result. My own feeling is that he's not done, but we'll see...

DFM

Comment

Baumann finally finished a marathon today in Frankfurt

plit Zeit
        5km 00:18:22
        10km 00:36:25
        15km 00:54:38
        20km 01:12:52
        Halb 01:16:48
        25km 01:30:52
        30km 01:48:33
        35km 02:05:46
        40km 02:22:46
        Gesamt
        Platz (M/W) 37
        Platz (AK) 20
        Platz (Gesamt) 41
        Zielzeit (Netto) 02:30:00

Comment

The race was run pretty evenly -- the 18:22 to start was his slowest 5k, then he worked is way down to 18-flat, mid-17s, then 17-flat to end: 1:16:48/1:13:12. Still, not good enough to make the modest US Trials standard even if he was faster in the first half then in the second half by 30 seconds/km.

Comment

He has changed his brand of toothpaste, I presume.

Comment

And learned to cartwheel.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                He has changed his brand of toothpaste, I presume.
                I think it's Crest that has a new product coming out, called the 'Clear', for those with food dye allergies. :wink:

Comment

if only their was a chance to kick in a marathon he'd have a shot at a medal.
                  ROWYCO

Comment

Originally posted by prongs
                    if only their was a chance to kick in a marathon he'd have a shot at a medal.
                    If you saw Adere in Chicago you would know that it has happened n a major race. she closed well the last kilo, but from the time she turned the courner @300m until the finish she was flying. When the men were 32 seconds out that past a recognizable marker on the road (white dashed line meets double yellow, IIRC). The two guys were running as hard as they could. When Adere hit that point she was between 32 and 33 seconds to the finish. She must have been doing 4:50 pace.

Comment

Working...
                    X