Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decathlon coming down to wire

American decathlete, Tom Pappas is narrowing in on a possible gold medal. Pappas is holding a sizeable lead on Czech, WR holder, Roman Sebrle with 1 event left for the Czech, and two for the Amaerican. You can bet it will come down to the 1500m. Sebrle has just finished the "A" section of the javelin, throwing 69.79m. Pappas is in the "B" section and is preparing to throw as I write this. Here is where it gets interesting. Pappas will need a 120-180 pt lead heading into the 1500m (20-30 seconds) to hold the lead over Sebrle, as Sebrle is much faster. What this means is that Pappas neads to throw approx. 65.81m (215'11") to cover the spread. A good throw for Pappas, but something he's done many times.
    Prediction: Pappas will cover the spread in the jav and Sebrle will break my heart and run a terrific 1500m.

Re: Decathlon coming down to wire

How about Dmitry though. He won't win this year but man has he come up big. I am definitely impresssed.

Comment

Once Karpov learns how to vault and throw the jav he'll be tought to beat (I think he's only 22). Did anyone notice he threw the discuss and jav almost identical distances? His Day 1 total yesterday of 4599 was the tied for #10 of all time, by the way.

Also, Sebrle is leading Pappas through 2 events of the World Combined Event Challenge by a slim margin, 17413 to 17369. So, it's possible that Pappas holds on to win today, but doesn't overtake Sebrle for the $30,000 1st place prize. I don't know if either plans to compete in September at Talence. Those 2 have definitely separated themselves from the pack.

Any word on Macey or Yurkov? Both resting for the Olympic year?

Comment

>What this means is that Pappas neads to throw
        >approx. 65.81m (215'11") to cover the spread.
        >A good throw for Pappas, but something he's
        >s done many times.

65.90 on his first throw - let's hope even more is to come!

Comment

Is 179 points enough??? What does that translate to in the 1500???

Should be very close!

Comment

Well, his first throw was his best. Two other good efforts. The 1500 will be interesting. Pappas needs to finish within about 26 seconds of Sebrle to win. >Should< be able to do that, but Sebrle is good enough at 1500 to put the pressure on.

Note that Eurosport - though far far superior to anything this side of the Atlantic - did not even mention the decathlon javelin while it was going on.

Comment

>Is 179 points enough??? What does that translate
              >to in the 1500???

Sebrle ran a 4:21 en route to his WR of 9026. His next best time is 4:28 twice. If he can run a 4:21, Pappas would need right around 4:48 (which he just did at US Championships). I think he's got more than 4:48 in him, based on his 400 yesterday it appears he's in great shape. Plus, this time it really counts.

Comment

>>What this means is that Pappas neads to
                >throw
                >approx. 65.81m (215'11") to cover the
                >spread.
                >A good throw for Pappas, but something
                >he's
                >s done many times.

According to this site:

http://www.decathlon2000.ee/eng/athletes.php?id=25

Pappas has a decathlon PR of 64.42 in the javelin (from 1999). The 66.56 he threw in Sarasota was at a camp where he didn't complete the decathlon. Are you referring to open competitions in college?

Either way, he came up huge with a 65.90 when it mattered. This is shaping up to be a Day 2 PR for him.

Comment

Pappas is having a great meet, but based on his 1500 PR (4:45), it looks like an American record is out of reach. He would need to run 4:22.65.

I'm not very experienced at reading decathlon tables, but it looks to me like he needs to stay within 25 seconds of Sebrle to win.
                  "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Yes, I was referring to Pappas Non-deca Jav throws.

He went big. It's going to be a tough 1500m. Sebrle has proven he's a great competitor down the stretch, but Pappas is capable of holding him off. I guess we'll see what Pappas is made of. Should be fun to watch.
                    Go Tom!

Comment

Barring a total physical collaps, it's in the bag. 179 pts is approx 30 seconds at that level (mid 4 minute pace)

Comment

I can't believe Tom pulled it out. He even ran a semi-respectable 1500. I was pulling for Tom all the way, but I picked Sebrle in the beginning.

Comment

Great job, Tom Pappas!!!!! Tom lives in Knoxville and trains on Tom Black Track at the U. of Tennessee under coach Bill Webb. Tennessee and the USA are proud of you, Tom!

Comment

Wow, seven names dropped in a single sentence! A NEW WORLD RECORD!!!

Comment

Pappas is THE MAN for 2003.

Work on that 1500, and we're talkin' WR territory.

Comment

Working...
                              X