X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Men's 1500 Final Results

But Pre was a bad-ass -- not a
    >bongo-beating hippie. Same for many of the great

Why do Americans all want to emulate a guy who has been dead for 30 year? Move on. Look at the guys who are currently doing something in the sport and try to model yourselves after them. They don't have to be from the U.S.

Even if today's runners are as good as Pre was (and he was very good) that's not good enough anymore. The bar has been raised as the U.S. athletes keep looking at the past.

Comment

Holman retired at around 29 because of nagging injuries. Right now he is 33 years old. A comeback could be possible. I hear Bob Kennedy is making a successful comeback in his thirties.

Holman was the last "fast" US 1500-meter runner. A lot of the last generation of US milers where probably running on the momentum started by Steve Scott. Scott and Spivey force an entire generation of US milers to run under 3:55 on a consistent basis.

There was a time in the not so distant past when US milers where nearly equal to their African counterparts.

Even Jeff Atkinson got into the act and chased down the world's best milers. With a PR of 3:52 Jeff Atkinson would today be America's best miler.
      Running against Atkinson in his prime someone like Jason Lunn would simply run out of gas.
      Why do today's US milers lack that extra gear that Atkinson, Falcon, and Holman had?

These aforementioned milers where in their prime only a decade ago. I wonder what changed in US 1500 meter training in the last ten years?

It seems to me there are no current US 1500 meters runners capable of running under 3:33. We are still not even sure Krummenacker will run the 1500 next year.

Comment

>Just curious how did Jason Lunn do?
        Obviously,
        >he was not great since he was not in the
        >finals.

Joe Falcon, Steve Holman are lonely
        >eyes look to you.
        Where have you gone great US
        >milers of yesterday.

Could you mention someone other than big time choker Holman?

Comment

I would rather have Holman the choker than Gabe the fruitcake. Gabe's behavior would be more tolerable if he was as fast as Holman was.

Holman in his prime would have been in these 1500-meter finals today. Holman's PR is comparable to EL Guerrouji winning time today. Holman knew how to run at a 3:30+ pace. On-the-other-hand, Jason Lunn's biological transmission seems to be set to run no faster than 3:35.

"A 3:30 guy will beat a 3:35 guy everytime"

- Steve Holman 2002 (commenting on Alan Webb)

Maybe Jason Lunn should also listen to these words.

Still I admire Jason Lunn for the simply reason he is the best we have got. I hope he makes it to the next level. To bad I cannot find Track and Field news anywhere on the newstands. I wanted to read the Jason Lunn article featured this month. Lunn has come a long way in the last few years. He is pretty much a shoe-in for the 2004 US Olympic team.

If you want to put a good spin on things you could say Lunn is the second best miler in North America behind Kevin Sullivan.

Comment

>Lets hope at least Krummenacker can make the
            >finals. Hopefully, maybe he will place.

This
            >has been a nightmare world championships for US
            >distance runners.

When was it not a nightmare for U.S. distance? And why should we expect to have a distance contender from the U.S.; it's a big world, lots of motivated and talented runners -- and not just from Africa -- thanks to an earlier comment pointing out the many countries involved in steeple and mile finals. It's not inevitable that we have to have a medalist in distance; we're just one country among many.

Comment

It seems Pre has become the Jim Morrison of US distance runners. He was cool and then he died.

I guess today's young runners are attracted to Pre's rebel like persona. He was the James Dean of US track and died in a very similar fashion to the cinema legend.

Comment

<<When was it not a nightmare for U.S. distance? And why should we expect to have a distance contender from the U.S.; it's a big world, lots of motivated and talented runners -- and not just from Africa -- thanks to an earlier comment pointing out the many countries involved in steeple and mile finals. It's not inevitable that we have to have a medalist in distance; we're just one country among many.>>

It was never this bad. At least in the 80's and early 90's the US had at least one athlete ranked in the world's top ten in each distance event. US distance runners where noticeably faster during this time. At one time in the late eighties the US had at least 4 steeplechase runners under 8:20.

In the 80's for the first time the US had two active sub 3:50 milers in Steve Scott and Jim Spivey. During his prime Scott broke the 3:50 mile an astounding 8 times. I think Spivey had 4 sub 3:50 miles in his great career.

I think even Mark Nenow's 10,000 meter US record set in the 80's still stands. In fact, I think just about every US distance record was set between 1980-1994. Bob Kennedy's US record in the 5000 meters (12:59) was last great event of this short-lived US distance running renaissance that lasted a little more than a decade.

The facts speak for themselves; US distance runners where faster 10-15 years ago.

Comment

Getting back to El G's win for a sec - was it me, or did it look like he ran at 80% - just enough to win. He really looked like he was in complete control and was saving his best for the 5000. Can I switch my 5K pick to him now?

Comment

That would be one hell of a double - especially with heats in each. It would make the Athlete of the Year voting easy, however. When was the last 1500/5000 double at a major championship?

Comment

Nurmi 1924, at a guess.

Comment

I think El G was working hard. He had to do more work earlier in the race than usual; the others came back to him; only the last kick put him through (notice how much like an 800 the last lap looked -- guys not able to accelerate). A hard final plus two other 1500s over 5 days will be a tough run up to rounds and a final at 5K for someone not experienced in the event. I wouldn't bet on El G.

Comment

Is El Guerrouji the most dominant athlete in the world in his respective sport? Not even Tiger Woods rules his sport like this.

I maybe possible for Guerrouji to finish his career with 50 sub 3:50 miles. Every time I look at the scorecard for any major 1500-meter race Guerrouji is the leader with a time in the vicinity of 3:32.
                          It seems Guerrouji breaks 3:50 for the mile as often as other international milers break 4. I guess Guerrouji looks at a 3:50 mile as other see a 4-minute mile. To Guerrouji a 3:50 mile is just in a days work. Guerrouji has set a new standard for international 1500 meter running. Alone he maybe responsible for the high "A" standard at this years World Championships. Guerrouji has spoilt everything for the "merely" talented international 1500-meter runner.

Comment

>I think even Mark
                            >Nenow's 10,000 meter US record set in the 80's
                            >still stands.

Nope, but like the US (and world) marathon record, it was set by a naturalized citizen, so you'll probably say it doesn't count.

>In fact, I think just about every
                            >US distance record was set between 1980-1994. Bob
                            >Kennedy's US record in the 5000 meters (12:59)
                            >was last great event of this short-lived US
                            >distance running renaissance that lasted a little
                            >more than a decade.

What counts as "distance"? The 1500, mile (not really run that often now, even in the US), and steeple records were set during that period, but the 3000, 5000, and 10000 records were set later.

The facts speak for
                            >themselves; US distance runners where faster
                            >10-15 years ago.

Comment

<<When was it not a nightmare for U.S. distance?>>

It was good when we had runners like Steve Scott, Jim Spivey, Pat Porter, Mark Nenow, and Craig Virgin. The list could go on, but I have made my point.

Comment

Other than Scott, a rather thin list; none of them medalists at the Olympics, unless I'm mistaken, though Virgin (maybe Porter?) did well at world crosses --

Comment

Working...
                                X