Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Men's 1500 Final Results

I like Dr.Funny.

He is one of the worlds great comics.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I think a better name for Dr. Funny is Dr. Stupid.
    At least you are right about US 80's distance runners being better.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

<<3:47.69 Steve Scott 1982
    3:48.83 Sydney Maree 1981
    3:49.31 Joe Falcon 1990*
    3:49.80 Jim Spivey 1986
    3:50.34 Todd Harbour 1981
    3:50.60 Steve Holman 1996*
    3:50.84 Tom Byers 1982
    3:51.1 Jim Ryan 1967*
    3:51.34 John Gregorek 1982
    3:51.39 Richie Harris 1984>>

The 80's were a good time for US distance runners.
    I think we should get a time machine and get some of those 80's miler back on our team.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Lunn was ranked 31st in the world this year. He was America's top miler this year.

sigh

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

El Guerrouj was brilliant - the 5,000 was one of the most exciting races I've ever seen. The surprise was that he was even willing to try such a double. But don't forget what Kip Keino did in the 68 Games. He ran the 10,000 (I think he was DQ'd after nearly passing out on the infield), finished second in the 5,000, then ran 3:34.9 to win the 1,500. All without EPO, I'm guessing.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

More evidence that the 80's was a good time for US distance running.

Mile (US all time list Mile) *other than 80's

3:47.69 Steve Scott 1982
    3:48.83 Sydney Maree 1981
    3:49.31 Joe Falcon 1990*
    3:49.80 Jim Spivey 1986
    3:50.34 Todd Harbour 1981
    3:50.60 Steve Holman 1996*
    3:50.84 Tom Byers 1982
    3:51.1 Jim Ryan 1967*
    3:51.34 John Gregorek 1982
    3:51.39 Richie Harris 1984

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I remember the good old days when the American and British miles were battling it out. Steve Scott was right there when Cram and Coe where setting records. Jim Spivey would also turn up once in awhile in Europe for a sub 3:50 mile.

The last stance of Anglo-American miling was in 1991 when Joe Falcon and Peter Elliot battled it out in Olso. Falcon won that race in 3:49, but Elliot was on is tail with another sub 3:50 mile. This was the last time anyone from either America or the UK broke a 3:50 mile.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I hear your complaints about American distance running but it is the same in Britain, we had Coe running sub 1-44 and Ovett at 3-30 twenty five years ago. Roger Bannister himself would have taken second place in the British UK 1500 trials with his 1954 form.

My stepson was UK U-17 3000m champ. He was a good student, graduated well and works for an oil company. He still runs but places like Richmond Park in London is full of full-time Africans training period. African dominance has drained motivation from many young athletes. Soccer draws in the young talent with its massive publicity and pay structure in the UK.

The drug thing has killed interest also.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Maybe it's time for us track fans to just enjoy the sport without "Go USA" pride. Relish our successes, but don't base your euphoria on them. It's the ultimate 'blood sport' (unfortunately the accurate term....) and it may take a while before the drug mess is behind us. Someday it will be, I'm sure. (but in our lifetimes?..) Just remember, the 'juicers' are still training their asses off, and are doing their darndest defeating other juicers. My solution (not worth dog crap): scientists come up with drugs that won't kill you. And determine what age (HS?) athletes can safely use them. Plan B: get the testing to where athlete will be nailed sometime between entering stadium and reporting to event.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Things are a lot thiner now.

It is bordering on a disaster.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Spivey medaled at the WC's I believe.

Distance running has never been that big in America anyway. Why would anyone be surprised at the "thin" list?

Leave a comment:

• miler manque
    replied

Other than Scott, a rather thin list; none of them medalists at the Olympics, unless I'm mistaken, though Virgin (maybe Porter?) did well at world crosses --

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

<<When was it not a nightmare for U.S. distance?>>

It was good when we had runners like Steve Scott, Jim Spivey, Pat Porter, Mark Nenow, and Craig Virgin. The list could go on, but I have made my point.

Leave a comment:

• jweaton
    replied

>I think even Mark
    >Nenow's 10,000 meter US record set in the 80's
    >still stands.

Nope, but like the US (and world) marathon record, it was set by a naturalized citizen, so you'll probably say it doesn't count.

>In fact, I think just about every
    >US distance record was set between 1980-1994. Bob
    >Kennedy's US record in the 5000 meters (12:59)
    >was last great event of this short-lived US
    >distance running renaissance that lasted a little
    >more than a decade.

What counts as "distance"? The 1500, mile (not really run that often now, even in the US), and steeple records were set during that period, but the 3000, 5000, and 10000 records were set later.

The facts speak for
    >themselves; US distance runners where faster
    >10-15 years ago.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Is El Guerrouji the most dominant athlete in the world in his respective sport? Not even Tiger Woods rules his sport like this.

I maybe possible for Guerrouji to finish his career with 50 sub 3:50 miles. Every time I look at the scorecard for any major 1500-meter race Guerrouji is the leader with a time in the vicinity of 3:32.
    It seems Guerrouji breaks 3:50 for the mile as often as other international milers break 4. I guess Guerrouji looks at a 3:50 mile as other see a 4-minute mile. To Guerrouji a 3:50 mile is just in a days work. Guerrouji has set a new standard for international 1500 meter running. Alone he maybe responsible for the high "A" standard at this years World Championships. Guerrouji has spoilt everything for the "merely" talented international 1500-meter runner.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X