Clear All

Got the WR.

Finals
    1 Wallace Spearmon USA 31.88
    2 Kerron Clement USA 31.94 31.932
    3 LaShawn Merritt USA 31.94 31.938
    4 Omar Brown Jamaica 33.20

Comment

Looks like that 4x400 record is toast too 8)

Comment

Would love to see Spearmon try the 400 this year. Maybe, like Webb, he could experiment with "moving up".

Comment

For the record, the Associated Press moved its Tyson/Spearmon story (just six grafs) at 23:10:39 Pacific time (11:10 p.m.) -- exactly three hours after gebfan posted the results here.

Which means that on the night of the Turin Opening Ceremonies/Davis Cup/Art Shell chosen Raiders coach, fat chance of track making your local sports section.

Way to bust your buns, AP!

K E N
          K E N

Comment

So did they run it in accordance with the rules, with a proper break?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Lanes all the way. No break. It was a great race to say the least. To see three under the exisiting WR was unreal!! And to those who say the 300 is a funky or horseshoe event, I totally disagree. I remember a WR attempt by Quincy Watts at APU many years ago after he had won his gold medal in the 400. The place was on fire. The fans were truly excited and even though he didn't get the record, it was a great race. Similarly when I set up an attempt for Marion at Mt. SAC a few years back. The crowd loved it and it was another great race, event though she did not get the record.
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by gh

I thought the 300m is always run in lanes the whole way. Lane breaks are for 400m (individual race) and up, and all relays (at least, that's the way it was in the CIAU races).

Comment

As noted earlier in the thread, both IAAF and USATF rules say the race should be run in lanes for the first two curves, then break. Since they didn't, T&FN will not consider the mark as either a WR or an AR. Same rule IAAF used to deny Danny EVerett a 400 WR 15-odd years ago, and we used to negate Goodman's HSR at the Armory. Running on wider turns and with no other people to fight against changes the nature of the event markedly. T&FN will carry the marks on the all-time list, but not give them full-blown record status.

Comment

Originally posted by JRM
                    Originally posted by gh

I thought the 300m is always run in lanes the whole way. Lane breaks are for 400m (individual race) and up, and all relays (at least, that's the way it was in the CIAU races).
                    USATF Rule 160.8acii (covering indoor running events) reads: "Races over 200m and less than 800m shall start and continue in lanes until the end of the second turn."

Once again, the meet organizers and officials dropped the ball as it pertained to a record. My question, does lil Wally have to return the $25K he got since the record will not be recognized as a World or American Record?

Comment

Originally posted by Gebfan2
                      I don't think running 300m is a gimmick. I would like to see more 300s, 500s, 1000s, and 2000s. There is nothing magic about 100m, 200m, or 400m, other than they are the closest metric equivalents to 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 of a mile.
                      Ditto!!.. the 300m is a great race...it should be an olympic event... in fact the winter olympics should include "short track" events, a 35lb weight throw and the standing triple jump!.
                      ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Working...
                      X