• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gh View Post

judges making up for yesterday
    5 fouls in 6 throws !

Comment

• Originally posted by scorpionking View Post
      . She may very well vindicate herself by seasons end as a bona fide threat at 200 but prior to the impressive 22s flat PR I saw her chances being much better at 100m. I still hold to that..
      Her greatest asset is her youth. That 22.00 may be her norm now. I actually see more up-side in the 200.

Comment

• Richardson still needs to prove she can handle the rounds of preliminaries. Obviously, Bednarek also has that task.

Comment

• And one could argue that Michael Norman still needs to prove it, too.

Comment

• Britain's Max Burgin (DoB 20 May 2002) improved his 800m PB by 0.61s tonight to 1:44.75.

As we say in England ... Blimey!

Comment

• Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
              And one could argue that Michael Norman still needs to prove it, too.
              Well, 5th place at the Olympic Trials when he was 18 and 43.79 last year after rounds weren't too bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Her greatest asset is her youth. That 22.00 may be her norm now. I actually see more up-side in the 200.
                She is young but her challenge will be her height. At 61 inches she is by far the shortest of the top sprinters out there. While that helps with getting out the blocks and around the turn quickly its still a lot of steps for her.

I do submit however, that despite her stature, her stride length is pretty good with excellent front side mechanics..

Comment

At 61 inches she is by far the shortest of the top sprinters out there.
                  Stride length has far less to do with inseam than it does force applied to the track (i.e., amount of rebound off the track). She applies LOTS of force to the track.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Stride length has far less to do with inseam than it does force applied to the track (i.e., amount of rebound off the track). She applies LOTS of force to the track.
                    Stride length is never only about inseam as you correctly quoted ..still a lot of steps for her. The amount of force she applies does help but she has to apply more force than the taller sprinters to achieve the same amount of work as the force is being applied over shorter levers.
                    Last edited by scorpionking; 08-12-2020, 01:13 AM.

Comment

She is young but her challenge will be her height. At 61 inches she is by far the shortest of the top sprinters out there. While that helps with getting out the blocks and around the turn quickly its still a lot of steps for her.I do submit however, that despite her stature, her stride length is pretty good with excellent front side mechanics..
                      Shorter than Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post

Shorter than Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce ?
                        SAFP is 5'3'' (63 inches)

Comment

• I was about to post about Richardson's stride and running action before I read through these replies....great minds and all that.

Pierre-jean posted a great slow-mo video of her on twitter. She has fantastic mechanics and movement. I agree with scorpionking though, that she will be more a threat over 100m and I think the experience of others will count over the longer distance and how they handle the rounds. There's also that annoying habit of US athletes scratching from the 200m once they've qualified for the 100m. It might just be an impression but that seems to be occurring more often in recent years. It's totally understandable, but as a fan you want to see the best in both sprint events. Maybe if she Q for the 100m she'd be one of those.

To think, though, we have nearly a whole year until Tokyo still....😥😥😥😥

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                            Britain's Max Burgin (DoB 20 May 2002) improved his 800m PB by 0.61s tonight to 1:44.75.

As we say in Sweden...Bländande!

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                              Britain's Max Burgin (DoB 20 May 2002) improved his 800m PB by 0.61s tonight to 1:44.75.

Joins Yuriy Borzakovskiy as a European Under 20 under 1:45. Scarily, Burgin wasn't born when Borza did it.

Comment

• Meanwhile....in the FT today....

Athletes’ village axed for Commonwealth Games

Ministers have moved to tighten their grip on preparations for the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, after organisers were forced to admit they will not be able to get the £500m athletes’ village ready in time for the showpiece event.

Construction delays exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic were blamed for the decision to scrap plans to build accommodation for as many as 6,500 athletes. The athletes’ village was also struggling to fall within its budget, according to a report presented to Birmingham city council in February.

Instead, competitors will be dispersed to three different sites, in an embarrassing blow for the games, part of an effort to shine an international spotlight on regional cities such as Birmingham.

Comment

Working...
                                X