Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 World Outdoor Results

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post

    Shorter than Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce ?
    Hard to believe I know, but she is giving up a full 2 inches to Shelly-ann in height.

    Sha' Carrie Richardson almost broke the 22s barrier with her recent run and Shelly-ann has been talking a lot about wanting to do so as well recently. So I did some research. I wanted to find out the shortest sprinters to have broken 22s in the past. I tried to find info. for Valerie Brisco but I couldn't find a source.If anyone has they can post but I doubt she is less than 63inches . Everyone else I was able to source.

    Of all of the 200m sprinters to have broken 22s the shortest of them have been Silke Muller and most recently Inger Miller at 5'3" and 5'4" respectively. Of these two, Inger has done it once and I believe Muller has also only done so once. The tallest of course being SMU at 73 inches so this year we have a chance to see the spectrum extremes go head to head in a 200m race.

    Right now Richardson is much closer than Shelly-ann thanks to this latest run. However, if SR can do so this year she will be by far the shortest athlete to have ever crossed the barrier in track and field history and if Shelly does she will be tied for 2nd.

    That will be a nice feather in the cap of her young career. Perhaps the times are changing?

    Comment


    • Doing a rough and ready analysis of the top ten women of all-time over 100m and 200m, the average height in the 100m is around 168cm, or 5'5. In the 200m it's around 173, so over 5'6 and nearing 5'7, which is the same for the 400m too. So, it seems if you are smaller, you are possibly more likely to be successful over the 100m, where the taller women struggle to get going.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
        Doing a rough and ready analysis of the top ten women of all-time over 100m and 200m, the average height in the 100m is around 168cm, or 5'5. In the 200m it's around 173, so over 5'6 and nearing 5'7, which is the same for the 400m too. So, it seems if you are smaller, you are possibly more likely to be successful over the 100m, where the taller women struggle to get going.
        I have read that, and I am inclined to believe it from observation, that the average height of top-class performers rises from 100m up to 400m and then gradually falls with each distance above 400m.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by scorpionking View Post
          Hard to believe I know, but she is giving up a full 2 inches to Shelly-ann in height.
          I'm not so sure this is true. While many sources list SAFP at 160cm/5-3, I have seen others that list her as 152cm/5-0. Seeing them standing very near each other at the 2019 Prefontaine Classic I had the impression that Richardson was a little taller than SAFP.

          Comment


          • From Friday through to Monday there is, by Summer 2020 standards, a bumper slate of live streaming action.

            All the links and details via my Live Streaming Links thread at https://forum.athleticsweekly.com/fo...4585#post24585

            Comment


            • Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
              Seeing them standing very near each other at the 2019 Prefontaine Classic I had the impression that Richardson was a little taller than SAFP.
              I had that same impression too, which is why we have to take some of the 'official' measurements with a pinch of salt. But if we look across multiple athletes, it should even out any dodgy measurements. But I agree, I had Ta Lou & SAFP as actually smaller than Richardson.

              Comment


              • Elina Tzengo’s world junior Javelin record At 63.96


                Unfortunately, this may not be accepted as world record because there was no anti doping crew in the stadium of the city of Ioannina for the official Greek U20 championships....although the federation called the Greek doping agency immediately after she threw the big one at around 8pm, there was no female doping agent available in the area. Elina was available for testing all night long (she was the last one to leave the stadium...) and at her hotel later but nothing. Next morning they tried again and they were told to travel to the city of Patra where a female agent was available. Elina along with a federation official travelled to Patra the day after her record and she was tested within 24 hours. Still WADA has informed the federation that the record can not be recognized. The Greek anti doping agency says they are only required by law to automatically send a crew to the senior championships and for anything else in any sport they have to be invited by the federations.
                Last edited by lefterisp; 08-14-2020, 01:41 PM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                  From Friday through to Monday there is, by Summer 2020 standards, a bumper slate of live streaming action.

                  All the links and details via my Live Streaming Links thread at https://forum.athleticsweekly.com/fo...4585#post24585
                  The names announced for Lignano (17 August)

                  100m: Rodgers, Burke, Jacobs, Hortelano
                  400m: Kahmari Montgomery, Garcia, Benati
                  800m: English, Arroyo, De Arriba
                  110hs: Alkana, Crittenden
                  400hs: Lambrughi
                  Long: Samaai, Jefferson

                  400hs: Folorunso, Zupin
                  Triple: Zagainova, Cestonaro, Derkach

                  It will be aired on Rai Sport from 19:50 to 22:30

                  https://www.meetinglignano.com/2020/...tta-rai-sport/

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by lefterisp View Post
                    Elina Tzengo’s world junior Javelin record At 63.96


                    Unfortunately, this may not be accepted as world record because there was no anti doping crew in the stadium of the city of Ioannina for the official Greek U20 championships....although the federation called the Greek doping agency immediately after she threw the big one at around 8pm, there was no female doping agent available in the area. Elina was available for testing all night long (she was the last one to leave the stadium...) and at her hotel later but nothing. Next morning they tried again and they were told to travel to the city of Patra where a female agent was available. Elina along with a federation official travelled to Patra the day after her record and she was tested within 24 hours. Still WADA has informed the federation that the record can not be recognized. The Greek anti doping agency says they are only required by law to automatically send a crew to the senior championships and for anything else in any sport they have to be invited by the federations.
                    I've long thought that WA's age-group records should be subjected to a less stringent doping-control protocol (in terms of timing). Far too many of them happen at times/places where immediate sampling simply isn't on the table.

                    Comment


                    • Speaking of younger athletes, Stefan Holm's 15yo son jumped 2.17.

                      https://www.expressen.se/tv/sport/fr...sonbastat-217/

                      Comment


                      • 16 year old Artur Felfner, 75.19 with the 800g. Still 16 years old
                        https://www.instagram.com/p/CD1tiyjp...=105c7rwsjm2di

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                          I'm not so sure this is true. While many sources list SAFP at 160cm/5-3, I have seen others that list her as 152cm/5-0. Seeing them standing very near each other at the 2019 Prefontaine Classic I had the impression that Richardson was a little taller than SAFP.
                          Found this except from an article I was reading and it agrees with you..

                          "Having scorched to 2008 Olympic 100m glory at the tender age of 21, the 5ft tall Fraser-Pryce went on to retain her Olympic crown in 2012, before claiming bronze at the 2016 Games to become the first woman in history to win three consecutive Olympic 100m medals."

                          I have never seen SR but I have seen SAFP many times. So yes, despite the sources, if I had to guess, I would not cede anything beyond 5ft flat either. Gives new meaning to the phrase As one grows in fame and stature.

                          Comment


                          • Total height is deceptive also as leg length and strife length even aren't always in proportion, SAFP and SR appear to have shorter trunks and longer legs. Devers another example with long legs in comparison to her overall height. It's the cadence, quick ground contacts and front side mechanics that are most impressive from SR.
                            ​​​​​​

                            Comment


                            • mHJ WL in Minsk yesterday

                              Maksim Nedasekau 2.33

                              Comment


                              • 22.66 PB (+1.3) and 51.54 for Wiederganger-fave Lieke Klaver (NED).

                                Proviso ... it was at La Chaux-de-Fonds!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X