Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Minami-ku, JPN 9/22
    W 3000 Azusa Mihara 9:14.46 She won't turn 18 until next February, and has a PB of 9:02.86, which equates to roughly a 9:46.3 for the full 3218.688 meter run. She ran 9:09.72 last year at 16, so I would have expected her to improve more, but COVID happened. I don't find any performances at other distances for her.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    4:23:10 in 1500m this July.

https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndFie...x?AID=14362665

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
      I went to that site and registered, but they do not have her 9:02. The 4:23.10 is about 4:44 for 1609.344 meters, much less impressive than her 3000.
      Cheers,
      Alan Shank
      Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Minami-ku, JPN 9/22
        W 3000 Azusa Mihara 9:14.46 She won't turn 18 until next February, and has a PB of 9:02.86, which equates to roughly a 9:46.3 for the full 3218.688 meter run. She ran 9:09.72 last year at 16, so I would have expected her to improve more, but COVID happened. I don't find any performances at other distances for her.
        Cheers,
        Alan Shank
        Woodland, CA, USA
        Japan have a few very talented female teenagers at the moment.

Ririka Hironaka (turns 20 in November) ran 14:59.37 last week. She had run 9:03 aged 15y 8m!

Also, Kaede Hagitani who had a big breakthrough this year. She turns 20 in two weeks' time and ran 8:48 and 15:05 this summer.

Of course, they also have Nozomi Tanaka who has only just turned 21.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paced View Post
          I mean, what would you consider to be Schippers' last "healthy" race?
          God knows. She must have had some pain free races throughout the last couple of seasons, but they could still have been below par or hampered by injuries she had. I have no idea!

Originally posted by Paced View Post
          For her to have won 0 major medals since becoming double Olympic Champ in 2016 is ridiculous. However, for her, the issue is less about form but rather about producing the goods when it matters; she has run some incredible times on the circuit/at NCs in those years. As with Schippers, I consider it a red flag that her achilles issue has persisted for so long, and with every championship that is supposedly disrupted by it, I lose confidence in her ability to get it right for the next one.
          and

2020 was the year to heal, recover and recuperate. Both Thompson and Schippers were relatively active this year compared to their peers. I'm not sure how sensible that was, but maybe it's a good sign; we'll find out next year. I consider 2021 a make or break year for them both.
          I agree re the Thompson medal haul, it is bizarre. However, we do know that both 2017 & 2019 seasons were disrupted by her achilles, and as you know, unless you fully rehab it, it will prove your undoing. What I do find interesting is that issue she had with her transition phase in London 2017, which was what also caused her to run so badly, nearly happened in one of her DL races this year (I remember Crammy calling it out on the head-on shot, I just cant remember which one of the races it was). Now that isworrying, as that suggests not a one-off freak misstep, but a repeated mistake. Fine when you're in 10.8 form and everyone else is in 11.1+ form, but not up against SAFP et al at their best...

Re Schippers races, I've mentioned already that she's raced more than she wanted simply to honour her contract and make €s, the preference was to work on her weaknesses & rest. Thankfully in the end they decided to forfeit €s and do what was right for her body.

+1 on the 400m being the "sensible" option for SMU, but maybe that's not what motivates her. The 200m would've been the sensible option for her last year considering she beat all the top 200m competitors by huge margins, often multiple times throughout the year. On the contrary, she hadn't met Naser all year and their last race in 2018 was pretty close. However, she does prefer the 400m, so I agree that she'd probably chose it over the 200m and will most likely run away from the field.
          I'm hoping the niggle that caused her to DNF her last couple of races doesn't end up becoming something bigger or persistent. That would be terrible, especially if Thompson & Schippers continued to carry injuries! It did look precautionary, but equally, who knows, maybe her body just prefers the less explosive training. What I hope doesn't happen is a replay of Perec's 93 season, where she came off a fabulous Olympic gold, decided to focus on the 200m in Stuttgart, and then came 4th (while the 400m was won in a very pedestrian time.)

Comment

• Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post

Not bad! Speaking of French Decathletes what is up with Mayer? Will he be trying for another OG?
            Of course. He's been injured several times (his main issue) this year, not badly but severely enough to prevent him from competing (he only raced in the heats of the French Champs in the 110H, 13.91 and then DNFed for the final). He's to do a decathlon on Reunion Island (near Madagascar) on the 18 and 19th of December (along with Axel Hubert and other athletes) where they'll try to reach the 8350 points needed to qualify for Tokyo.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

Japan have a few very talented female teenagers at the moment.

Ririka Hironaka (turns 20 in November) ran 14:59.37 last week. She had run 9:03 aged 15y 8m!

Also, Kaede Hagitani who had a big breakthrough this year. She turns 20 in two weeks' time and ran 8:48 and 15:05 this summer.

Of course, they also have Nozomi Tanaka who has only just turned 21.
              Japan also has this guy. He broke the 16 yr old national HS record in July, and lowered his own record by two seconds (13:34.74). Now three seconds faster than Rupp's US HS record.

https://www.worldathletics.org/athle...shida-14819263

Comment

• Degitu Azimeraw out of the London Marathon after a positive CV-19 test

Comment

• Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post

Of course. He's been injured several times (his main issue) this year, not badly but severely enough to prevent him from competing (he only raced in the heats of the French Champs in the 110H, 13.91 and then DNFed for the final). He's to do a decathlon on Reunion Island (near Madagascar) on the 18 and 19th of December (along with Axel Hubert and other athletes) where they'll try to reach the 8350 points needed to qualify for Tokyo.
                  That's good to hear! I knew he was struggling with injuries and have not heard much about his status. I hope he is past them and finishes the upcoming Deca. I remember when he had to bow out during the PV and he was really bummed.

When was the last Deca he actually finished?

Comment

• Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post

That's good to hear! I knew he was struggling with injuries and have not heard much about his status. I hope he is past them and finishes the upcoming Deca. I remember when he had to bow out during the PV and he was really bummed.

When was the last Deca he actually finished?
                    That would be his 2018 WR in Sept.

Comment

• Originally posted by donley2 View Post

That would be his 2018 WR in Sept.
                      So 2 yrs, hope he can put one together. That's quit a bit of time without a completion. But if he is healthy I don't see why he could not!

Comment

• 3 days til Cheptegei attempts 10000 WR https://trailrunningspain.com/2020/1...day-october-7/

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6hLgmgoPp4

This is supposed to be available world wide.
                          Letesenbet Gidey is also running, 5000, with one Beatrice Chepkoech following Esther Guerrero as pacemaker; they are targeting 8:30-8:35 at 3000.
                          The men are going 4:15, 7:52,13:05 (Nicholas Kimeli, who recently broke 27). The kilos are 2:37, laps 62.8, for 26:10.
                          There will also be wavelight technology.
                          Can't wait!
                          Alan Shank
                          Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

There will also be wavelight technology.
                            If he's on, that will amp the excitement. If he's not, he could run a great time and everyone will be disappointed.

Comment

• Three days later, in Hengelo, there will be a W 1000 (Faith Kipyegon tries again), W 10,000 (Hassan and Gemechu) and M 5000 (Kejelcha and McSweyn.). There will be wavelight pacing technology. It looks like there will be a live stream, possibly on YouTube and available everywhere, like the Oct. 7 WR attempt in Valencia.
                              Cheers,
                              Alan Shank
                              Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Three days later, in Hengelo, there will be a W 1000 (Faith Kipyegon tries again), W 10,000 (Hassan and Gemechu) and M 5000 (Kejelcha and McSweyn.). There will be wavelight pacing technology. It looks like there will be a live stream, possibly on YouTube and available everywhere, like the Oct. 7 WR attempt in Valencia.
                                Cheers,
                                Alan Shank
                                Woodland, CA, USA
                                Great names here. I expect Kipyegon to get the 1000 record based on her great 800m run.

Also, anyone know who coaches Hassan and Kejelcha? I never saw anything about what happened coach wise with them after the whole NOP thing at Worlds last year.
                                Last edited by ATK; 10-07-2020, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X