• Show
Clear All

• Wow...pretty cool I must say....

https://mobile.twitter.com/runnerspa...53459969724417

Comment

• Nice!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        What a spectacular facility. But, if I'm looking at it correctly, does the location of the hammer/discus cage make sense?
        Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

• That's where the discus ring was for the 2012 & 2016 Olympic Trials. Hammer was outside back then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Master403 View Post

What a spectacular facility. But, if I'm looking at it correctly, does the location of the hammer/discus cage make sense?
            I believe the hammer is taking place at another venue. As the 80m distances the upper echelon men will be throwing would get too close to the track. Not sure how Deanna Price will feel about that as reigning champ. That javelin run up is unusual, looking at it with the naked eye it looks like a 90m throw from one of the Germans would get close to the steeplechase pit but I guess the designers must have done their calculations and deemed it to be safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Master403 View Post

Hammer is still outside.... and about right for discus...that is where it was before....
              Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-17-2020, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Also no lane markings....it will all be on the Honor System....

Comment

• The ring right in front of the javelin runway was where the hammer was held in 2016, IIRC.

Comment

• The 2016 hammer was held inside Hayward Field.... For the next version Day 6 is set aside as hammer-only (just as it was in '16) and as far as I know will again be inside. Where the cage is placed (same as now), that's the discus circle. To throw the hammer out of it would require an insert to drop it down to hammer (and shot) size.

Comment

• Looking at images of the former Hayward, it appears the field event layout is very similar to the earlier one, so I'm sure it's fine.

The picture is at
                      https://hayward.uoregon.edu/
                      where they note that the tower was lit blue to honor healthcare workers. Even more cool.

Comment

• I stand corrected. We went hiking on the day the hammer was held in 2016, so I just assumed the hammer was held outside.

Comment

• And the 2012 FOT hammers were held in Beaverton.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                            The 2016 hammer was held inside Hayward Field.... For the next version Day 6 is set aside as hammer-only (just as it was in '16) and as far as I know will again be inside. Where the cage is placed (same as now), that's the discus circle. To throw the hammer out of it would require an insert to drop it down to hammer (and shot) size.
                            That makes sense. Throwing the hammer from there gives more than 20m more room. Thank you.

Comment

• Curious if there is a reason they decided to not just include comfortable space for the hammer to be thrown during a regular competition?

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                                Curious if there is a reason they decided to not just include comfortable space for the hammer to be thrown during a regular competition?
                                Too dangerous....not enough room if there is anything else going on.

They tried it once at the 1978 NCAA ..I was standing next to the fence on the backstretch ....and the first practice throw came bouncing down the left sector line...across the track hitting the fence about 15 feet away from me....oops! .. and that was the end of the hammer throw inside...the 2016 Trials hammer was the only event that day.

Comment

Working...
                                X