Olympic Trials Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Too dangerous....not enough room if there is anything else going on.
    I guess I meant, why didn't they design and build this new stadium to fix the issue of not enough space causing it to be dangerous as has been the case in the past?

Comment

• Why? For one event? And not obvious what you would do...

Comment

• I don't remember if it was NCAA or OT but several years ago at Hayward, a discus launched from that SE corner of track, skittered through the little plastic fence "protecting" the NW LJ pit, interrupting competition. The best we could do was station a dedicated lookout to alert for incoming discus.

Comment

• Near tragedy several years back during the mSP at Hayward. Cantwell during warmups launched one that went OB and struck a volunteer on the neck. Fortunately the guy was pretty stout and muscular and it didn't badly injure him. It is very crowded down there sometimes.

Comment

• I have worked a lot of meets where hammer throw was in the main stadium.. I have never worked a stadium where it was safe to do that with other events in progress.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
              I have worked a lot of meets where hammer throw was in the main stadium.. I have never worked a stadium where it was safe to do that with other events in progress.
              Thanks, this kind of answers my question.

In Beijing 2015, the Women's hammer went on same time as a few track events, like the 200m and 800m. Looking back it likely wasn't safe considering a foul out to the right would have just landed straight on the track. But I will never forget Wlodarczyk throwing a Championship record about the same time Christian Taylor was jumping 18.21m in the TJ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Too dangerous....not enough room if there is anything else going on.

They tried it once at the 1978 NCAA ..I was standing next to the fence on the backstretch ....and the first practice throw came bouncing down the left sector line...across the track hitting the fence about 15 feet away from me....oops! .. and that was the end of the hammer throw inside...the 2016 Trials hammer was the only event that day.
                The cage specifications are much tighter now than in 1978. The sector was reduced to 45 degrees (from 60) in the mid-70s, then 40 degrees in 1979 and down to the current 34.92 in 2004.

The cage specifications have also tightened up with narrower openings and higher netting at the high risk sector. The IAAF mandated a 10m cage height for gates and adjacent netting with a gate pivot at 7m from circle centre. I believe they have since approved a cage design with gate pivots only 4.2m from circle centre but with 9m height and 3.2m width.

That's pretty damn tight.

Comment

I don't remember if it was NCAA or OT but several years ago at Hayward, a discus launched from that SE corner of track, skittered through the little plastic fence "protecting" the NW LJ pit, interrupting competition. The best we could do was station a dedicated lookout to alert for incoming discus.
                  I was sitting in the front row at Tad Gormley '92, LJ in progress and daylight fading, when a discus came rolling on edge at a high rate of speed across the runway.

Upon checking the OT history in the T&F archive, I see that the discus final was held the eve of 6/22, with a start time of 5:20; LJ qualifying was on the same evening with an 8:20 start.

Maybe the idea was that the discus would be over by the time the LJ started. Maybe the LJers were still warming up. In any event, I do recall thinking that Lewis and Powell were some high level talent to be at risk of being taken out by rolling metal.

Comment

I have worked a lot of meets where hammer throw was in the main stadium.. I have never worked a stadium where it was safe to do that with other events in progress.
                    I have spectated at a few major champs where the hammer has been scheduled not to clash with any other events. I tend to quite like having a field event that I can watch the whole of uninterrupted.

Comment

• The scariest thing of that sort that I've ever seen was at the US Olympic Festival in Baton Rouge in 1985. The track and field events were held at Southern University which, IIRC, had a long and narrow track, which compounded the problem of having the hammer cage in one corner of the infield. There was one throw that was down the left sector line. I don't remember whether it was in competition or in the warmup period. Nor do I recall whether the throw was a foul, either in the circle or out of the left sector line. But I remember distinctly that one throw actually landed on the track and then bounced into the bleachers, landing in around the fourth row right next to a guy who was sitting there.

Comment

• I think it was in '85 when I spectated at the British Inter-Counties Champs just outside of London. It was a very windy day and I think the hammer throwers were being pushed around during their turns and becoming a little wayward. This was not good as some of them were 70m throwers. It was an event where the top 3 in each event got medals and there was a wooden rostrum just inside the track about 50m from the finish being used for presentations (the hammer cage was near the 1500m start). One throw bounced once and then hit the back of the rostrum when, thankfully, no presentations were taking place, so, after that, they stopped the hammer for the presentations.
                        Last edited by Trickstat; 05-18-2020, 03:26 PM. Reason: missing comma

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                          The ring right in front of the javelin runway was where the hammer was held in 2016, IIRC.
                          2016 OT was conducted from the main SP ring in front of the West Grandstand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FnjuwlcUcQ

It does seem plausible that the new ring in front of the jav runway (which did not exist in 2016) would be for hammer in the new Hayward Field.

Comment

• Originally posted by player View Post

I was sitting in the front row at Tad Gormley '92, LJ in progress and daylight fading, when a discus came rolling on edge at a high rate of speed across the runway.

Upon checking the OT history in the T&F archive, I see that the discus final was held the eve of 6/22, with a start time of 5:20; LJ qualifying was on the same evening with an 8:20 start.

Maybe the idea was that the discus would be over by the time the LJ started. Maybe the LJers were still warming up. In any event, I do recall thinking that Lewis and Powell were some high level talent to be at risk of being taken out by rolling metal.
                            That was 1992 OT.. hotter than hell.. they allowed officials to shed the blue blazers after first day collapse of a few officials..that was during era when pit was screeded after every jump by dragging a heavy metal bar the length of the pit.. Required two additional officials (preferably offensive linemen) and took forever, thus late into the evening..

The 1992 (I think) NCAA was also at Tad Gormley...my recollection of that meet was the Iowa athlete (Anthony ????, I will remember his name right after I post this) who was running 400 final during LJ finals. Start/finish line on NE corner, LJ pit on SW corner.. by grand coincidence, he was called to jump as quarter milers passed the head of runway in NW corner, he continued to run a 45 sec 400 and, without pausing, ran across the north end of infield onto LJ runway and jumped 26 + feet before his 60 seconds was up... the only time I have seen a quality LJ after a 400. Someone can probably look up the actual time/mark.

Comment

• Originally posted by player View Post

My quick, once edited response to this post was just flagged as spam... wait for it to be blessed by monitors.

Comment

• Meanwhile....

This happened just 3 years ago near Chicago...and of course blame it on the student...rather than a poor safety set up...

A moment of inattention cost Wheaton College student Ethan Roser his life when he was hit in the head by an errant hammer throw at an April track meet, Wheaton police said Monday.

Detective Andrew Uhlir said Roser, 19, was struck when he was standing with two others about 30 feet outside the in-bound landing area for the hammer throw, an event that involves hurling a 16-pound metal sphere attached to a handle by a wire.

But Larry Judge, a Ball State University kinesiology professor who has written about safety issues within hammer throwing, said others share responsibility for safety during the hammer throw event.

"It's always up to the head officials to see that the sector is clear, and certainly that everyone's paying attention to what's going on," he said. "The big thing I see here is the cage; you're talking about (the errant throw traveling) 30 feet outside the field of play. Those gates should provide protection."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...522-story.html
                                Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-18-2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X