No announcement yet.

Olympic Trials Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After discovering how much I liked watching the hammer I took to viewing them from as close to the circle as possible, which at many meets means right next to the cage. At the 2004 OT at Sac State they held the hammer throws outside the stadium with some temp stands set up for fans. On one of the throws the hammer bounced off the ground near the ring, went under the cage netting and was in the stands in no time. No injuries but I never felt like standing next to the cage again . . .
    Last edited by bad hammy; 05-18-2020, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• Kind of an insane event to even have anymore...the 2016 Trials hammer was more surreal than anything else.

Comment

• On the Olympic Channel over the weekend, they were replaying the WC in Doha, and they interviewed the Oregon Governor. She was welcoming everyone to Oregon for the 2021 WC. What a difference eight months makes ...
        Last edited by Halfmiler2; 05-21-2020, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• I've been working on the Texas Relays the last few years and I sit in the TV booth that's at the top of the stands above the finish line. The hammer field is right behind us, and we arrived one morning to find the scene below.
          I sit by a window that's less than 10-feet from where the hammer was embedded in the metal siding of the booth, and fans would normally be sitting just a few feet away. Luckily, the throw didn't happen during the meet, and we guessed that it might have been some guy trying to hit the booth in some sort of challenge! It happened a couple of years ago and, if I remember correctly, that's Dan O'Brien holding the handle!

Comment

• I'm sure I have mentioned this in the past, but this true story is my main reason for having the hammer throw while no other events are being contested. I was at a meet in the Los Angeles Coliseum sometime in the late 1960's and I was in the stands watching the men's hammer throw (no women throwing then). One of the throws went completely out of the sector and hit the fairly new Coliseum all-weather track. The hammer then bounced several feet into the stands! Very luckily, the hammer missed hitting any of the spectators, but it was close. I have seen people hit by the handle and the wire holding the handle to the iron ball and it's never a good thing for the person that is hit.

Comment

• The thing about the hammer. it doesn't have to hit you to hurt you.. it only has to miss you by less than four feet.

Comment

• So we need to amend the old saying, " 'almost' only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades"?
                Last edited by DrJay; 05-21-2020, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• It's an event that has to go away.. either substantially increase the weight of the implement or end it all together.
                  Last edited by user4; 05-21-2020, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Zowie....more cool videos....

The new @OregonTF
                    stadium is stunning. Nothing like this in the world. Wow.

https://mobile.twitter.com/geoffschw...35942108876801

Comment

• Turned out pretty nice, huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

That was 1992 OT.. hotter than hell.. they allowed officials to shed the blue blazers after first day collapse of a few officials..that was during era when pit was screeded after every jump by dragging a heavy metal bar the length of the pit.. Required two additional officials (preferably offensive linemen) and took forever, thus late into the evening..

The 1992 (I think) NCAA was also at Tad Gormley...my recollection of that meet was the Iowa athlete (Anthony ????, I will remember his name right after I post this) who was running 400 final during LJ finals. Start/finish line on NE corner, LJ pit on SW corner.. by grand coincidence, he was called to jump as quarter milers passed the head of runway in NW corner, he continued to run a 45 sec 400 and, without pausing, ran across the north end of infield onto LJ runway and jumped 26 + feet before his 60 seconds was up... the only time I have seen a quality LJ after a 400. Someone can probably look up the actual time/mark.
                        Good memory! Your Iowa athlete is the answer to the trivia question "Who is the only athlete to break 45 seconds in the 400m and jump over 27 feet in the long jump?" (OK it was a wind-aided 8:40 but only 2.1 mps!) and it is Anthuan Maybank. In the 1993 NCAA (I looked it up) he ran 45.04 for 2nd in the 400m (winner also ran 45.04) and came in 6th in the LJ with 26' 0.5"w. He made the 1992 400m final but was not top-8 in the LJ that year.

Lucky Maybank was in the relay pool after getting a lane violation DQ (crossed the line in 5th place) at the 1996 Olympic Trials. After Butch and MJ couldn't run the 4x4, Maybank ran a 44.63 anchor in the semis and then a 43.87 anchor (looked that up too) in the final to hold off Roger Black and Great Britain for the gold in Atlanta.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                          Turned out pretty nice, huh?
                          It did....way beyond my wildest dreams....from the outside at 15th and Agate it doesn't seem that big either....

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

It did....way beyond my wildest dreams....
                            I sat in on a meeting of the “Save the East Grandstand” movement a few days before it was torn down, and I remember thinking that while the sentimental attachment to it was real, there was a good chance that the new facility would be so spectacular that in two years it would be hard to remember what the fuss was all about.

The photos Conor shared at post #239 above looks like the Agate Street exterior is designed to evoke the East Grandstand rooftop.

The lower bowl seats look awesome for spectators (so long as it is not raining).

Comment

• Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

I sat in on a meeting of the “Save the East Grandstand” movement a few days before it was torn down, and I remember thinking that while the sentimental attachment to it was real, there was a good chance that the new facility would be so spectacular that in two years it would be hard to remember what the fuss was all about.

The photos Conor shared at post #239 above looks like the Agate Street exterior is designed to evoke the East Grandstand rooftop.

The lower bowl seats look awesome for spectators (so long as it is not raining).
                              I was at all those meetings and had 3 letters published in the RG.

There was a lot of sentiment, including me. But I thought it was a losing argument ....I argued it was a great place to watch a meet. Other than Zurich the best atmosphere in the world. My fear since they were so vague on plans that it would be too big....25,000 or so....nothing worse than watching a meet in a huge soccer or football stadium 2/3 empty....or the stands far from the track as in London....I never thought much of Crystal Palace even though I saw some memorable performances there.

But they didn't...it looks perfect....much better than Hatfield's plan. From 15th and Agate it looks rather intimate.

Also lots of flagpoles on 18th and Agate and the practice track...so it will be very colorful for the WCs ....whenever they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

I was at all those meetings and had 3 letters published in the RG.

There was a lot of sentiment, including me. But I thought it was a losing argument ....I argued it was a great place to watch a meet. Other than Zurich the best atmosphere in the world. My fear since they were so vague on plans that it would be too big....25,000 or so....nothing worse than watching a meet in a huge soccer or football stadium 2/3 empty....or the stands far from the track as in London....I never thought much of Crystal Palace even though I saw some memorable performances there.

But they didn't...it looks perfect....much better than Hatfield's plan. From 15th and Agate it looks rather intimate.

Also lots of flagpoles on 18th and Agate and the practice track...so it will be very colorful for the WCs ....whenever they are.
                                I really hope Pre happens this year. I’d love to be able to enjoy the new field.

Comment

Working...
                                X