Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fun times in the scholarship department?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fun times in the scholarship department?

So let's say that Siwash U has 5 men's seniors on full scholarship this year.

In essence, all of them just redshirted the outdoor campaign and have another year of eligibility.

So as the coach, what do you do when all 5 of them (or any portion thereof) say they want to come back next year for one last go? How do you triage those precious rides since you've already promised those 5 rides to incoming frosh. Do you have to get into a very inconvenient (and potentially unfair) triaging between the 5th-year guys and the newcomers? Or do you get forced into splitting a thin pie even thinner by dealing with 5 classes and making cuts to the 3 years in between as well?

Strikes me the scholarship limit has to be raised for at least next year.

Not that everybody can afford it, of course.

That would be fair. Spread the cost around...

Comment

Was just mentioning with a friend that everyone should get to redshirt next year. But didn't even think of the scholarship implications.

​​​​Would sports teams like T&F generally have the scholarships money locked in already at a certain time to pay for the subsequent year?

Comment

A parent of one the heavy favorites has started a petition for a 5th year for athletes like this.

Comment

I could see a one-year moratorium on scholarship limits being exceeded due to this.

Comment

Gino Auriemma is talking about granting seniors another year of eligibility...even though his basketball players missed only a month of the season.

Comment

So only a small fraction of T&F athletes actually miss any of the indoor season. Do they get an extra year and no one else? I would not be surprised if outdoors gets a pass but indoors does not. Also they might allow a one-year overage or maybe they give a fraction (you have 4.6 scholarships among 'extra-year' seniors and now you get an one-year 2.3 added. Why should teams with a lot of seniors on scholarship get a big increase while others do not... I do not see any easy solution but probably the easiest is that the athletes get an extra year but the school has to manage their scholarships under the standard limits.

Comment

see story on the extra-year topic now posted to home page

Comment

A good point from the article:

"Another question pertains to the juniors and sophomores and freshmen, some of whom were similarly distraught on Thursday. Do they get that year of eligibility back as well? If so, elevated scholarship limits would have to remain elevated for four years. If not, many would feel wronged."

Comment

Tough to find equity in this mess. Some things can't be cured. For instance, a friend of mine is coaching the #1 ranked D1 V-Ball team in the country but now, mid-way thru their schedule, the season is over. And the team includes starters from several different countries who may not be willing or able to return even with another year of eligibility.

Comment

I wonder how many athletes will actually take advantage of a 5th year. We like to think that all of them are passionate about it but most are probably ready for their careers to be done.

Comment

Seems like the NCAA acted quick and grants all spring athletes another year of eligibility and are currently looking into winter athletes.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/1...ty-coronavirus

Comment

Who will pay the scholarships?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post
                            I wonder how many athletes will actually take advantage of a 5th year. We like to think that all of them are passionate about it but most are probably ready for their careers to be done.
                            Either that or they’ll look at this as an opportunity to get more out of their schools, start grad school, bump a minor up to a second major. It’s not like the job market is going to be much fun for a while.

Comment

Where the scholarship limits are concerned, there's no solution that will be totally fair across the board.

The "least unfair" solution I can think of is to exempt the affected athletes from the scholarship cap when they're using their 5th year of competition eligibility (which may include some in their 6th year of school, if they already redshirted a season). Yes, it means some schools will have more athletes on scholarship than others, but it minimizes the damage to the current athletes directly affected, and to future freshmen who would otherwise be crowded out of scholarship opportunities by the 5th year returnees.

Comment

Working...
                              X