Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training through the Covid times

I'm calling Major BS on the home-page-linked article about Stanford runners' 'illegal' training.
    It's not enough that all the comps are gone, now we have to stop kids form training??!!

A group of Stanford track and field athletes engaged in a “non-sanctioned, off-site training activity” amid COVID-19-related restrictions, Stanford Athletics spokesperson Brian Risso confirmed in an email to The Daily on Friday.
    The horror! Kids trying to stay in training . . . off-site!

If the N Ariz team wants to go up into the mountains and train, keeping a safe distance apart (can we talk to each other form 10' away? I think so), I say more power to them.

This is crapola.

Non-sanctioned does not mean illegal. My take was that the problem was not with the training per se, but with the travel to go train. The athlete(s?) were driving from New Jersey to Northern Arizona. NJ is urging everyone to stay home. I'm sure Missouri and Flagstaff would agree.

I would rather see an article about how some clever Stanford students were able to train from home, rather than taking a 2300 mile (each way?) road trip.
    Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Originally posted by Master403 View Post
      Non-sanctioned does not mean illegal.
      Which is why I put 'illegal' in quotes. Athletes should be allowed to train, as long as they are not endangering others. Social distancing simply means don't congregate or touch things that others will.
      If I want to go to the track and hurdle, throw the disc, shot, jav or hammer, jump over bars or into sand, I think I can do that within the parameters of what we're allowed to do (which expressly includes running, biking, etc.).

Comment

I agree with you in all respects, save for the 2300 mile drive.
        Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Originally posted by Master403 View Post
          I agree with you in all respects, save for the 2300 mile drive.
          Yeah, there's other ways to skin that cat.

Comment

The term "non-sanctioned" might also be to stress that, should anything happen to the athletes during this trip, the university would not be held liable in any way.

Comment

With the Pac-12 stopping all activities, including practices, Stanford's coaches can't be seen to condone this, I would imagine.

Comment

Milesplit holding a virtual competition, the 21st century version of a postal.

https://www.milesplit.com/articles/2...m_medium=email

Comment

I'm really not getting this. Now the NCAA has banned VIRTUAL workouts??!!

Teams can not host online workouts at this time. Schools can still host meetings but coaches can not do workouts with players.
                  If it's VIRTUAL, how does that endanger anyone? If these kids are anything like me and my friends in HS and college, working out for the team was my STRESS-RELIEF.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

If it's VIRTUAL, how does that endanger anyone? If these kids are anything like me and my friends in HS and college, working out for the team was my STRESS-RELIEF.
                    I don't get it either. I'm guessing it has to do with lack of ability of the NCAA to control contact hours between coaches and athletes. At this time, though, it seems like this ruling could cause more harm than it might prevent.

Comment

Somehow I doubt any coach would get found out and sanctioned for emailing the distance captain and saying, "tomorrow, who knows, maybe it might be good to do 12x800, 2:10-2:20 depending on your level" and having the captain spray that out to the distance guys, and the same for the other disciplines.

Comment

yes, by all means instill in your kids that it's good to find ways around rules

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/com...-19QAGuide.pdf

Read the Bylaw 17 stuff.

Comment

Under Bylaw 17:
                            "Question No. 2: May an institutional strength and conditioning coach or coaching staff member distribute workouts to student-athletes to use for voluntary athletically related activities? Answer: Yes, provided the workouts are approved by applicable institutional athletics and/or medical personnel and otherwise adhere to applicable legislative, policy and institutional requirements (for example, Interassociation Recommendations Preventing Catastrophic Injury and Death in Collegiate Athletes). As a reminder, an institutional staff member may not supervise or conduct such workouts and it is not permissible for an institutional staff member to post (for example, social media) images and/or video of student-athletes engaged in voluntary athletically related activities."

So it sounds like "here's a workout you can do on your own if you like" is OK.
                            Last edited by DrJay; 04-15-2020, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                              yes, by all means instill in your kids that it's good to find ways around rules
                              Like climbing fences to get onto a locked track for an interval session like we all did in the past? That was part of the fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X