Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power 5 Conference and COVID-19

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...n-requirements

Cincinnati cut soccer, Old Dominion cut wrestling, citing losses due to COVID-19 and lack of NCAA funding.

You know what's coming. Many schools in Power 5 will use this to cut Olympic sports - and I'm sure they're not coming back either

Flotrack had a good podcast with Beth Alford Sullivan talking about the dangers facing Olympic sports at the NCAA level.

Comment

The big ones will be fine

Football/Volleyball
      Basketball
      Soccer
      Baseball/softball

The high participatory will survive

Track & Field/Cross Country
      Swimming
      Tennis
      Golf

Niche ones that are very popular with vocal fans will be OK

Rowing
      Lacrosse

The rest . . . ?

Comment

The only 2 sports that are necessary in the short term to begin pouring lifeblood back into the NCAA are football and men's basketball. If those sports can't be revived it's all over for the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
          The only 2 sports that are necessary in the short term to begin pouring lifeblood back into the NCAA are football and men's basketball. If those sports can't be revived it's all over for the NCAA.
          Without football....D1 sports will be D3 in funding...

I don't see this fall it happening so the question can it survive a year or even 2 without it. Football is pretty lucrative for TV so it may survive...but not in its present form....

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            Football is pretty lucrative for TV so it may survive...but not in its present form....
            I'm starting to think the same thing. As we come out of this, so many aspects of our culture will be profoundly changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              I'm starting to think the same thing. As we come out of this, so many aspects of our culture will be profoundly changed.
              never underestimate homo sapiens' resistance to change: I'm guessing that once a vaccine is in place we'll be same-old-same-old pretty much up and down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                That's exactly right. There are a few schools that do OK with baseball and ice hockey in terms of spectators, but nothing approaching the big 2.

Comment

Spring football anyone? https://www.si.com/college/illinois/...-april-15-2020

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post
                    We have had a couple of discussions on winter and spring football....not going to happen...

Comment

How about NCAA Arena Football Jan-April 2021? Ughh....

Comment

If they don't cut sports, look for all Olympic sports to have their competitions cut way down. There won't be travel beyond a bus ride and probably half as many meets per season. One of the G5 conferences has already petitioned the NCAA for a waiver to do this, among other things like fewer scholarships, in order to keep their DI status while severely cutting back their budgets.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                          How about NCAA Arena Football Jan-April 2021? Ughh....
                          I'm sure that will pay the bills...

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                            never underestimate homo sapiens' resistance to change: I'm guessing that once a vaccine is in place we'll be same-old-same-old pretty much up and down the line.
                            As an oldie myself, I'd like that, but the devastation to the economy alone will take several years to recover, and the 'new model' will have become the 'old model'.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                              Flotrack had a good podcast with Beth Alford Sullivan talking about the dangers facing Olympic sports at the NCAA level.
                              One thing I found interesting in the whole money talk was how the Outdoor season has gotten a bit long and the complexities and expenses of the NCAA prelim round. She mentioned the idea of Descending order list to qualify for outdoors could become a reality.

Comment

Working...
                              X