Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATK View Post

One thing I found interesting in the whole money talk was how the Outdoor season has gotten a bit long and the complexities and expenses of the NCAA prelim round. She mentioned the idea of Descending order list to qualify for outdoors could become a reality.
    To throw a wild idea out that will immediately get lambasted here... allow qualifying marks for the descending order list only from 5-way scored meets or smaller, plus conference meets.

Comment

That's really stupid :-) (just because you invited it). Can't say I'm in agreement 100%, but it could be OK with some refining.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        To throw a wild idea out that will immediately get lambasted here... allow qualifying marks for the descending order list only from 5-way scored meets or smaller, plus conference meets.
        The only reason I don't like that is because I really enjoy the big Invitationals - there's more top end talent there.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
          That's really stupid :-) (just because you invited it). Can't say I'm in agreement 100%, but it could be OK with some refining.
          I was counting on you!

I love big meets as much as the next fan (Texas Relays, Penn, Mt. SAC, etc.), but to defend our sport against the budget-reaping admins, we have to figure out where to cut some big travel bucks. The idea that distance runners (for example) have to go to a certain place to attain qualifying marks has to seem hinky to those admin types.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
            I love big meets as much as the next fan (Texas Relays, Penn, Mt. SAC, etc.), but to defend our sport against the budget-reaping admins, we have to figure out where to cut some big travel bucks. The idea that distance runners (for example) have to go to a certain place to attain qualifying marks has to seem hinky to those admin types.
            The problem is that the big teams seem to ONLY go to the invitations. Keep the big meets, but mandate that the majority of the regular season meets would be the kind you mention?

Comment

one (partial) solution could simply be to eliminate the "split squad" concept: the entire team goes to a meet or nobody does.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                one (partial) solution could simply be to eliminate the "split squad" concept: the entire team goes to a meet or nobody does.
                That is a very solid point.

Comment

I like the concept, although I'm not sure how much money it would save.

Comment

The majority of schools are going to have to trim their budgets drastically, no matter what happens. Removing costly interstate plane rides in favor of intrastate or local 2-to-5-way meets would certainly chop much of the fat. Some states (Idaho, Wyoming, etc.) would have some figuring out to do, but in a lot of regions it would be easy to put together these kinds of meets.

I just want to see programs survive, though men's teams have one foot over the precipice already.

Comment

Working...
                    X