Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby X, or Baby Drechsler-Meier-Koch

As some of you might remember, Heike Drechsler-Bryggare (she married former Finnish hurdler Arto Bryggare, he who won world & Olympic medals in 83 & 84 - which in itself is a wonderful story) had a son, Toni, in the fall of 89. Toni got married last year, to...wait for it.... Ulrike Meier-Koch! Yes, the daughter of Marita Meier-Koch, 400m WR holder and former team mate of Drechsler.

Marita and Heike had not seen each other in years and were not particularly close, until they met each other in Monaco back in 2014 when they were inducted to the IAAF Hall Of Fame. Heike apparently spontaneously invited Marita to her upcoming 50th birthday party. Marita attended, with her husband Wolfgang and her daughter Ulrike. Toni & Ulrike hit it off, and 5 years later were married!

There are some fab pics online of their wedding with Marita & Heike there.

Now, just think if they have a child together, and if that child chooses to go into the sporting world.....😄

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

Here's one:
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

To think that the mothers of each were once the joint holders of the 200m WR having both run 21.71 twice!

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
        As some of you might remember, Heike Drechsler-Bryggare (she married former Finnish hurdler Arto Bryggare, he who won world & Olympic medals in 83 & 84 - which in itself is a wonderful story) had a son, Toni, in the fall of 89. Toni got married last year, to...wait for it.... Ulrike Meier-Koch! Yes, the daughter of Marita Meier-Koch, 400m WR holder and former team mate of Drechsler.

Marita and Heike had not seen each other in years and were not particularly close, until they met each other in Monaco back in 2014 when they were inducted to the IAAF Hall Of Fame. Heike apparently spontaneously invited Marita to her upcoming 50th birthday party. Marita attended, with her husband Wolfgang and her daughter Ulrike. Toni & Ulrike hit it off, and 5 years later were married!

Now, just think if they have a child together, and if that child chooses to go into the sporting world.....😄
        How did some similar unions in the past work out? (1) Janis Lusis marrying Elvira Ozolina, should have given us the greatest spear thrower ever. (2) Valeriy Borzov marrying Ludmilla Tourischeva, should have produced the fastest gymnast ever. (3) Vera Caslavska marrying Josef Odlozil, .......?

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
          To think that the mothers of each were once the joint holders of the 200m WR having both run 21.71 twice!
          This is one of the elements that make this a great story. I love the fact that Heike married Arto (they never actually met properly during their athletic careers either) and Marita married her coach.That Heike's son Toni was born in November 1989, the same time the Berlin Wall began to fall. The fact that Heike and Marita never raced each other either, as their sprint career only overlapped by 1 year. The fact that they ran the same time, twice each. And then the apparent spontaneous invite to Heike's 50th birthday celebrations to Marita, which led to their children meeting, and then this marriage. I love it!

Of course, if they have children, it's a small chance they will enter sports. Toni graduated in Business Admin and now works at Rostock townhall. Ulrike studied German & Cultural studies. From the online article:

Ulrike said "I tried athletics as a child, but quickly realised that I was more interested in music". Toni apparently "tried anything" in sport, but today just skates, snowboards and cycles for pleasure.

Drechsler said "I think it's very good that the two have not become competitive athletes. it is crucial that they are grown up in their own lives" she added "when it got serious between them, it was a bit funny!"

Both families agreed not to go public with the relationship. Marita said "and now family ties connect us - who would have thought that?"

BTW, Ulrike is now called Ulrike Meier-Drechsler.
          Last edited by Wiederganger; 04-21-2020, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by catson52 View Post

(2) Valeriy Borzov marrying Ludmilla Tourischeva, should have produced the fastest gymnast ever.
            Maybe a pole vaulter?

Comment

Originally posted by catson52 View Post

How did some similar unions in the past work out? (1) Janis Lusis marrying Elvira Ozolina, should have given us the greatest spear thrower ever. (2) Valeriy Borzov marrying Ludmilla Tourischeva, should have produced the fastest gymnast ever. (3) Vera Caslavska marrying Josef Odlozil, .......?
              Hal Connolly and his first wife, Olga Fikotova, produced Jim Connolly, the 1987 NCAA decathlon champion for UCLA and Merja Connolly, a Bruin volleyball captain and NCAA champion. Hal and his second wife, Pat Winslow, herself a 3-time Olympian and coach (Evelyn Ashford) produced Adam Connolly, the #3 ranked hammer thrower in the U.S. in 1999.

Comment

for more along this line, check out this thread from last October

https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...ys#post1535910

Comment

Just because one or both of you parents were great athletes, does not usually mean a damn thing. There may be a few exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Comment

Oh, and another thing, even though the off springs of these fantastic athletes may have the genes, but if they don't have the desire, well.....

Comment

I suspect that, for every example of two world-class t&f athletes having a child together who becomes a world-class athlete there are probably at least 20 examples where that doesn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                        I suspect that, for every example of two world-class t&f athletes having a child together who becomes a world-class athlete there are probably at least 20 examples where that doesn't happen.
                        Yeah, in the late 90s there was a Duke ortho resident who had played linebacker at Penn State (Linebacker U - Jerry Sandusky was his position coach). he was about 6-4, 235, Greek God body. He married a woman who had played on the women's pro tennis tour - she was about 6-1, Greek Goddess body, once ranked as high as about 40th in the world. I wish I could have bought stock in their kids to become world class athletes but never happened. I expected their boy to become a D1 level power forward type at least. But none of them ever became high-level athletes. In fact, one of them had a congenital heart defect and the orthopod told me they were just thankful she was now alive and healthy and doing well.

Comment

story now posted to home page about Noah Igbinoghene, an NFL first-rounder with Olympian parents

Comment

Working...
                          X