Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are elite athletes training right now?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How are elite athletes training right now?

    Distance runners And walkers likely have the easiest time. They do road work under direction from remote coaches. On occasion, they find an unlocked track.

    it would seem like everyone else needs to pass by a weight room on a regular basis which would be really difficult. I’d hate to try to do serious weight work without spotters. Those who make use of swimming pools would likely be impacted also.

    Sprinters should be fine, except for the weight room, as long as a track is available. They’d like someone to record technique for review by coaches.

    Shot putters, LJ, Hurdlers, and TJ should be more or less in the same situation as the sprinters.

    It seems like it would be especially hard for the highly technical events. PV would be the best example. HJ is likely the same. Decathlon would be the sum of everyone’s problems.

  • #2
    Trouble is train for what.....I don't see any meets in the near horizon....

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
      Trouble is train for what.....I don't see any meets in the near horizon....
      Valid point, but presumably they aren’t just swilling beer and watching Netflix.

      Comment


      • #4
        This is definitely uncharted territory. With the likelihood of no further competition this year, should athletes remain in an extended "off-season" or "pre-season" state? Would they be better served to arrange a series of time trials in place of meets/races to simulate a competitive season or to assess the quality of their training?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by KevinR View Post
          Would they be better served to arrange a series of time trials in place of meets/races to simulate a competitive season or to assess the quality of their training?
          I would guess the majority of athletes probably cant even do that with no clear timeline on when facilities would be open.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ATK View Post
            would guess the majority of athletes probably cant even do that with no clear timeline on when facilities would be open.
            I HAVE to think medal-caliber athletes are finding adequate alternative methods of quality training, yes?

            Comment


            • #7
              I was hoping to learn about Shubenkov's training from the story linked on the front page. But man, that translation was rough!

              Comment


              • #8
                Article on one of the revelations of the British indoor season, Jessie Knight. It mentions the training she is doing with no tracks open in the UK. Unusually she is also a school teacher:

                https://www.athleticsweekly.com/perf...ht-1039929370/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  I HAVE to think medal-caliber athletes are finding adequate alternative methods of quality training, yes?
                  I have heard Both Allyson Felix and Christian Coleman have issues with facilities.

                  Here is the article regarding Coleman, after Kentucky shut down campus he had to go home to Atlanta where its not much better.

                  The once highly regimented training routine of the defending world champ in the 100 has become a scavenger hunt. He runs at a nearby high school track — and if that has meant occasionally hopping a fence to get in, then so be it. Just consider that training for his next life as a hurdler.

                  https://www.ajc.com/blog/further-rev...JrMnGOxJXpKKN/

                  Also T&FN recently did an interview with Noah Lyles where he said they now go to a park (not like an open field) in small groups and so some running on the grass and plyos, but they cant do any sprinting. And he is part of a high profile sprint group (SMU etc.) so others are in this situation...

                  https://trackandfieldnews.com/video-...-postponement/


                  So I wish you were right, but seems if Gold Medal caliber athletes are having trouble, then I could imagine for everyone else.
                  Last edited by ATK; 04-22-2020, 11:44 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ATK View Post
                    The once highly regimented training routine of the defending world champ in the 100 [Coleman] has become a scavenger hunt. He runs at a nearby high school track

                    Noah Lyles where he said they now go to a park (not like an open field) in small groups and so some running on the grass and plyos, but they cant do any sprinting.
                    Oh dear.
                    At least CC has a track (but presumably no weight room?).
                    NL's plight sounds pretty grim for someone who is a fave for AT LEAST one gold.

                    Sandi Morris is building her own pit/runway and Mondo already has one. Certainly the Army is looking out for Sam K's needs!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Atticus View Post

                      Oh dear.
                      At least CC has a track (but presumably no weight room?).
                      NL's plight sounds pretty grim for someone who is a fave for AT LEAST one gold.

                      Sandi Morris is building her own pit/runway and Mondo already has one. Certainly the Army is looking out for Sam K's needs!
                      An thoes were in March, so im not sure things have gotten much better. Coleman could very well not have a track any more (which he was "breaking into").

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        They just reopened the high school tracks in my area, so there are options, even if not everywhere.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I live 300 yards from a high school track in town that is open all the time...never did close...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm not an elite athlete, but my exercise room has never gotten more use! Stationary bike, elliptical, free weights, pull-up bars. No one will recognize me when I get back to work!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              I HAVE to think medal-caliber athletes are finding adequate alternative methods of quality training, yes?
                              I dunno. Allyson Felix and Bobby Kersee were escorted off a track by the sheriff

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X