Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Pre Chronicles

In case you hadn't noticed on the home page, we've started up a huge recapping of Pre's career as presented in our pages, 1968–75.

it's not behind a paywall, so non-subscribers can also access it

I had to log in to access. Anyway, the editor's note about Prefontaine being the first prep to beat 8:50 twice must be referring to outdoors only, as Lindgren
    ran 8:40 and 8:46 indoors in 1964.

Comment

I'm wondering if Steve Prefontaine's high school two-mile record was run on a dirt track. If so, the time is even more impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago View Post
        I'm wondering if Steve Prefontaine's high school two-mile record was run on a dirt track. If so, the time is even more impressive.
        Register-Guard article says all-weather track at Corvallis High School.

http://projects.registerguard.com/cs...3-41/story.csp
        Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Originally posted by Master403 View Post

Register-Guard article says all-weather track at Corvallis High School.

http://projects.registerguard.com/cs...3-41/story.csp
          Thank you!

Comment

free access problem now fixed

Comment

Chapter 2 now available for viewing

Comment

I'm loving the stuff! He was only 3 years older than I, but one of my all-time heroes.

Comment

I was about to ask "Who's the guy in 3rd behind Pre and Norpoth in that photo?" but then the text below identified him as Kenny Moore!

For me Pre was 4 years older and definitely one of my all-time heroes. Looking back, I'm trying to recall how I rationalized such hero worship, as Pre was not nearly as dominant on the world stage as he was in the US. "Yeah, but he's young...yeah, but those Europeans are all really professionals, all they do is train...yeah but..."

Also trying to figure out why the US did not keep pace with the rest of the world in terms of long-disance performance during that period. I'm guessing too much reliance on training with short intervals in the US. When I look at George Young's training diaries, the longest interval distance he uses is 660y. Nowadays, everyone is using 1000m and longer intervals with relatively short recoveries as staples in their training programs year-round or nearly so. I read about Pre doing 3 x 1 mile in 4:08 with 15 minutes rest before the 1972 Olympics. Long interval distance but very long recovery by today's standards.

Curious what others on this board think.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Michaelson View Post
                    I was about to ask "Who's the guy in 3rd behind Pre and Norpoth in that photo?" but then the text below identified him as Kenny Moore!

For me Pre was 4 years older and definitely one of my all-time heroes. Looking back, I'm trying to recall how I rationalized such hero worship, as Pre was not nearly as dominant on the world stage as he was in the US. "Yeah, but he's young...yeah, but those Europeans are all really professionals, all they do is train...yeah but..."

Also trying to figure out why the US did not keep pace with the rest of the world in terms of long-disance performance during that period. I'm guessing too much reliance on training with short intervals in the US. When I look at George Young's training diaries, the longest interval distance he uses is 660y. Nowadays, everyone is using 1000m and longer intervals with relatively short recoveries as staples in their training programs year-round or nearly so. I read about Pre doing 3 x 1 mile in 4:08 with 15 minutes rest before the 1972 Olympics. Long interval distance but very long recovery by today's standards.

Curious what others on this board think.
                    It was more Americans didn't train that much back then. Pounding out 100 mile weeks only became the norm around 1970...

When De Castella lived in Boulder the longest intervals he ever did was 400....

Comment

The photo of Pre, John Ngeno and Danny Murphy brings back memories.

I remember when Danny and John arrived in the USA as John Chaplin had me go pick them up. Danny from Pullman airport and John from Seatac.

When I picked up Danny we were chatting when he mentioned that he had finished high school at age 14 back in Ireland.

Have no idea how Coach Chaplin got Danny eligible.

Comment

In regards to the photo on the home page of the 1970 U.S.-West Germany 5,000 meters, I'm wondering how marathoner Kenny Moore ended up in the race. I suspect he did not run the 5,000 at the U.S. championships to qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago View Post
                          In regards to the photo on the home page of the 1970 U.S.-West Germany 5,000 meters, I'm wondering how marathoner Kenny Moore ended up in the race. I suspect he did not run the 5,000 at the U.S. championships to qualify.
                          Moore was 4th in the AAU 10,000m that year so probably was with the team in some capacity. Prefontaine wouldn't have been the first choice in the 5,000m either as he finished 5th in the AAU meet in that event. The "A" runners were likely being saved for the USSR dual meet which would have been on the same tour.

Moore set PRs in the 5,000m, 10,000m and marathon in 1970.

Comment

Actually it was 3 and 6 miles...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970..._Championships

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Moore was 4th in the AAU 10,000m that year so probably was with the team in some capacity. Prefontaine wouldn't have been the first choice in the 5,000m either as he finished 5th in the AAU meet in that event. The "A" runners were likely being saved for the USSR dual meet which would have been on the same tour.

Moore set PRs in the 5,000m, 10,000m and marathon in 1970.
                              Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X