Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post
    Chapter 5 now posted to home page.

Fabulous piece by Kenny Moore (one of the best bits of writing we've ever had). My favorite line:

<<Prefontaine roomed with Lindgren in Stuttgart. Gerry spent much of his time discussing theology with steeplechaser Bob Price. Prefontaine shopped for switchblades to resell to Coos Bay hoods.>>
    One of the best articles I ever read. It was as fresh just now as the day I first read it almost 50 years ago. An amazing piece of journalism, written by a great runner and writer about a once-in-a-generation talent and character. Thank you T&FN!

Comment

Thank you for running the Pre Chronicles. It is terrific!

Comment

Prefontaine's last race was 45 years ago tonight. Not sure when his last interval workout was.

Comment

Chapter 6 now posted

Comment

It looks like there is no roof on the East Grandstand....also it looks way too hilly looking south....and too many trees...

Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-03-2020, 04:50 AM.

Comment

check out photos 3 and 6 (and lookit the people on the roof in #3!)

https://www.registerguard.com/photog...605009994/PH/1

Comment

That is terrifying!!

Comment

episode 7 ('72 Olympic summer campaign) now posted. I particularly remember this quote:

“From now on I’m going to be a dirty son of a bitch. I’m going to foul a lot of people. I’ll probably get thrown out of a few races. But it’s time we Americans learned to run like the Europeans.”

Comment

You can say what you want about the guy, but he was one of the all-time greatest interviews.

Comment

episode 7 ('72 Olympic summer campaign) now posted. I particularly remember this quote:

“From now on I’m going to be a dirty son of a bitch. I’m going to foul a lot of people. I’ll probably get thrown out of a few races. But it’s time we Americans learned to run like the Europeans.”
                      I remember that quote well....Pre was like a fountain of memorable things to say.

Comment

I don't recall him carrying that out to any great degree although I certainly didn't see all of his races.

Comment

"Pre’s last 440 was only 66.2 because of his homestretch “jog,” but his last 880 was 2:00.2, his last three-quarters was an impressive 3:03.2, and his final mile was in 4:08.6."

Must have been one hell of a penultimate lap.

Comment

That doesn't make any sense....54.0..on the penultimate lap...I suspect the last lap is off. He ran 27.8 for the last 192 yards.

Comment

I have looked at that picture on the front cover a few times and it is spell binding and haunting. Truly heart breaking to see him fall short of a medal like that. I see so much disappointment in his eyes, it is crushing.

https://trackandfieldnews.com/the-pr...mpic-campaign/

All I can think after watching that race umpteen times, is that he just ran a strategically flawed race. He ran countless turns early in the race on the outside shoulder while Viren was tucked away on the rail relaxing. He made a few big moves too many on that last mile that just took so much out of him. A more controlled and patient pace going into the last two laps and at a minimum he gets the bronze.
                              Last edited by user4; 06-10-2020, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Wow, seeing those people on the roof in photo number three, immediately reminded me of the 1900 Big Game (Stanford-Cal football). I wasn't there, but have read about this tenth football contest between Cal and Stanford.

In 1900, the Big Game was played in San Francisco near the San Francisco and Pacific Glass Works factory. Approximately 600 to 1,000 people were sitting on the roof of this factory in order to watch the game. Suddenly, the roof of the factory collapsed from the weight of all those people (mostly men and boys). Several of the people fell in the huge, blazing furnace at this factory in San Francisco. There were 22 men and boys immediately killed and more than 100 severely injured (some died later). People at the football game in the stadium said they could hear the bodies burning in that large furnace.

Even though this Big Game was played on Thanksgiving Day, the factory furnace was going at full-force. In those days, this glass works factory operated seven days a week.

To this day (June 10, 2020), this accident in San Francisco remains the deadliest accident to kill spectators at a United States sporting event.

Sorry I got off topic, but I couldn't help but remember that Big Game story from about 120 years ago.

Now, about Prefontaine.....I was lucky to have seen him run several times (in cross country and track). I saw him run in Munich (1972), but my favorite race I saw was the 1972 Olympic Trials 5,000 race against George Young. It might have been the loudest crowd I ever heard at Hayward Field.

Comment

Working...
                                X