Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black September View Post

Plasmodium parasite that causes malaria is not a virus – it is a single-celled parasite
    I appreciate the info. When I was typing my response to gh, I knew I was probably incorrect with the term but didn't have time to look it up.

Comment

and a reminder that the Pre series isn't behind a paywall; the whole thing is free to everybody

Comment

I've said it before, but I love this series. Talk about bringing back memories. Along with Jim Ryun and Frank Shorter, Pre was one of the Holy Trinity that inspired me and made me a lifelong track & field fanatic.

Comment

Steve's consistency during his domination of the U.S. distance running scene in the early to mid '70s was amazing. His main drawback appeared to be his lack of finishing speed. It seemed rare when he ran faster than 58 seconds during his last laps, including his mile races.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago View Post
            Steve's consistency during his domination of the U.S. distance running scene in the early to mid '70s was amazing. His main drawback appeared to be his lack of finishing speed. It seemed rare when he ran faster than 58 seconds during his last laps, including his mile races.
            He knew that, which is why he said things like:

I'm going to work so that it's a pure guts race at the end, and if it is, I am the only one who can win it.

A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

No one will ever win a 5,000-meter by running an easy two miles. Not against me.

and why we loved him so much.

Comment

For those who have come to expect new chapters every Tuesday, note that this week's will be (x) day's late. After our unexpected maintenance shutdown over the weekend we're scrambling to catch up on a lot of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago View Post
                Was there a 400/440 time attributed to Pre?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post

Was there a 400/440 time attributed to Pre?
                  I don't remember a time, but I also don't remember a time he didn't lead for a majority of a race. If he had just followed, he maybe could have finished faster, but normally no one ran hard enough to suit him.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinwr View Post

I don't remember a time, but I also don't remember a time he didn't lead for a majority of a race. If he had just followed, he maybe could have finished faster, but normally no one ran hard enough to suit him.
                    I was hoping someone had recorded him for a single lap race or even time trial.

Comment

• Chapter 14 now posted

Comment

• Chapter 15 now posted

Comment

• “I’ve increased my mileage up to 140 miles a week,”

Boy, he worked hard.

Comment

• Chapter 16 now posted (can you imagine running in conditions like that?!)

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                              Chapter 16 now posted (can you imagine running in conditions like that?!)
                              Yes the field burning mile. I can't believe he ran that day. Fortunately they don't do it anymore. I remember in the 70s living here and how horrible it could get.

Field-burning ban takes off

The state’s new legislation to end the practice has some leeway for farmers facing extreme hardship

By Diane Dietz
                              The Register-Guard

Appeared in print: Tuesday, June 8, 2010, page A

Field burning smoke in the southern Willamette Valley this summer will be a wisp compared with every previous year for the past half-century, during which thick black plumes and a gray ground-level haze typically marred many a summer day.
                              This summer, the state’s new ban on most field burning takes effect.

Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-14-2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                                Chapter 16 now posted (can you imagine running in conditions like that?!)
                                I ran in the Pomona Valley in the mid-60s, some of the worst air pollution ever in the L.A. basin, and in Corvallis in the mid-70s, with the field burning. I've always referred to those as altitude training at sea level.
                                Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Working...
                                X