Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago
    replied
    Bruce Jenner and Steve Prefontaine were roommates at the Oslo training camp prior to Munich and at the Olympics. I came across this interview with Jenner from a number of years ago describing the experience:

“So I didn’t know any of these guys. I had heard of them and saw Prefontaine run, but I didn’t know the guy beforehand.
    So we go to Norway, and let me tell you, those guys knew how to have a good time. I was going to bed early, and these guys were out partying. One night Pre had a little bit too much, and we like poured him into bed that night. The next morning, he got up and did the hardest workout I think I’ve ever seen in my life. I was shocked.
    Him and Frank Shorter, and all these people, were having such a great time. My thinking was oh my God, they’re so happy they made it on the Olympic Team and they’re not worried enough about what’s going to happen once they get to Munich.
    But then Shorter wins the marathon, and Pre had a great 5000m race even though he wound up fourth.
    When I woke up on the morning of the terrorist attack, Pre was the guy who had just gone out for a morning run and told me something’s going on out there. He heard somebody got shot. He said you won’t believe what’s happened outside. He was the one that broke the news to me.”

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Last spring Nike or someone was sponsoring a contest to design a new memorial near Pre's Rock. Fair enough, but you had to be under 25. I thought it was pretty crass.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    if making the cover of SI as a youngster is your rubric, Jim Ryun not only made it as a frosh, he was also Sportsman Of The Year. Oh yeah, and he was on the cover as a high schooler.

With all due respect to Pre, he couldn't carry Ryun's jock on the world stage. Nor in terms of national fame.
    I’d agree about Ryun. His peak preceded Prefontaine, but Ryun was definitely a bigger deal. Making the cover of SI was the best I could come up with for a universal standard for a general audience.

Track athletes regularly made the cover in the sixties, less só in the seventies, and they fell off altogether after the 80s.
    Last edited by Dave; 09-03-2020, 07:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    if making the cover of SI as a youngster is your rubric, Jim Ryun not only made it as a frosh, he was also Sportsman Of The Year. Oh yeah, and he was on the cover as a high schooler.

With all due respect to Pre, he couldn't carry Ryun's jock on the world stage. Nor in terms of national fame.
    Exactly...Ryun is an absolute legend. A touch of greatness. His races from 1966-7, especially his 3:33.1, are still a marvel now.. It is not even close.

I remember in 1972 with a poster of Shorter on my dorm wall and my roommate who hated sports, asked me if that was Ryun.

Also Pre had Eugene and Hayward and all the hoopla that he benefited from.

Even now his big presence in town is more of a continual Nike promotion than anything else.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-03-2020, 05:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    I understand the power of the fanboy is high when it comes to Steve Prefontaine but there are other criteria involved when it comes to said excitement.
    Absolutely. And that's what made him so special.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave View Post

That was a question more than a statement. Did all of the other athletes make the cover of SI as a freshman?
    I understand the power of the fanboy is high when it comes to Steve Prefontaine but there are other criteria involved when it comes to said excitement.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied

Say what?
    That was a question more than a statement. Did all of the other athletes make the cover of SI as a freshman?

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave View Post

they were great athletes But did they generate that level of excitement?
    Say what?

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Dominate? Against that field?
    My point exactly.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    In other events sure (Lewis, Johnson, Nehemiah, Moses, etc.), but not the distances.
    they were great athletes But did they generate that level of excitement?

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Right. Except for the race that counted. He was great in a field in which he knew he could dominate. When tasked with guys who could run with him he wasn't quite as bold.
    Dominate? Against that field? Bedford tried running away in the 10, 59 first lap, 4:15 at the mile and dropped nobody.

Shame Bedford didn't save that for the 5. That would have been an incredible race.. Pre ran a fine race. Taking the lead with 4 to go. He almost got a medal. Those things happen. He was also only 21.

Anyways this is probably the 10th thread on that race. And all with the same arguments.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-02-2020, 10:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Right. Except for the race that counted. He was great in a field in which he knew he could dominate. When tasked with guys who could run with him he wasn't quite as bold.
    He ran a gutsy race and it didn't work out. By 76 he would have figured that the 10 was his race. Still probably not have beaten Viren, but probably Lopes and Foster.
    It wasn't his victories that set him apart, it was his spirit, and we haven't had one like that again.
    Last edited by Atticus; 09-02-2020, 10:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Just the opposite. Look at how many tactical races we see in Championships. Do all those guys think they have the best kick? No. But do they take it out? No. Why? Because they're afraid to pay the price and still be out-kicked. Pre was NOT afraid. That's what made him a legend - he was going to make EVERYONE pay the price. And because so many with a better kick wouldn't follow him, he won. During his reign, everyone knew there wouldn't be a tactical race, and that was one of the few times I was actually interested in the 5K, win or lose.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Since it was his only legit chance to win when he wasn't the clear best runner in the field, the legend lessens in my opinion. As Ian Stewart said in whichever documentary it was regarding the infamous "running the 4 minute" he wasn't the only one who believed that.
    Just the opposite. Look at how many tactical races we see in Championships. Do all those guys think they have the best kick? No. But do they take it out? No. Why? Because they're afraid to pay the price and still be out-kicked. Pre was NOT afraid. That's what made him a legend - he was going to make EVERYONE pay the price. And because so many with a better kick wouldn't follow him, he won. During his reign, everyone knew there wouldn't be a tactical race, and that was one of the few times I was actually interested in the 5K, win or lose.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X