Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Jadwin Gym opened in 1969. IIRC, the IC4A meet was first held there in '70 or '71.
    I know it was in Jadwin in 1972 when I was a college freshman.

In 1971, when I was a high school senior, the NJ state high school indoor championship was still at the Jersey City Armory, and then they moved to Jadwin thereafter. I could not say for sure about the IC4A before 1972.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

Anyway, in 1974, the games committee signed a contract with the Spectrum (capacity 14,000) to have the “Philadelphia Track Classic” on a Monday night after another meet on the East Coast was on the Friday or Saturday.

Coincidentally enough, the "other meet" was the Millrose meet that is the subject of the video clip in my post just before yours.

The NY Times story on the Philadelphia meet highlights Waldrop defeating Liquori for the second time in four nights. Story appears at the bottom of the Times' sports page headlined by coverage of Ali-Frazier II.

https://www.nytimes.com/1974/01/29/a...-outraces.html

My recollection of how pay-for-view boxing worked in those days is that you could not even get free blow-by-blow radio coverage. All you could get were end-of-round summaries of the action, which were awaited with a good deal of suspense.

Comment

Things have changed so much

Comment

Working...
        X