Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tentative Diamond League schedule released

In August:
    Monaco (14th), Gateshead (16th) and Stockholm (23rd).

In September:
    Lausanne (2nd), Brussels (4th), Paris (6th tbc), (Rome/Naples (17th), Shanghai (19th)

In October: Eugene (4th), Doha (9th), a second meeting in China (17th, venue tba).

story posted on home page

The historical average high for Eugene on October 04 is 70F (21C)

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
      The historical average high for Eugene on October 04 is 70F (21C)
      Not sure what point you're trying to make, but that's exactly the same as it is in late May, when the meet would typically take place.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

There's a home football game (vs Washington) the day before the Pre meet. Assuming track can go on, then surely football will as well. That'll make find a hotel a bit difficult. I'd bet many rooms are already booked well in advance due to the football game.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post
          There's a home football game (vs Washington) the day before the Pre meet. Assuming track can go on, then surely football will as well. That'll make find a hotel a bit difficult. I'd bet many rooms are already booked well in advance due to the football game.
          with one/both of the affairs likely to be in no-spectator mode, hotel rooms might be easy to find.

Comment

If they allow spectators at the football game, I assume they'd allow them at the track meet. And if they allow them at the football game, I can certainly see a hotel-room problem.

Comment

with one/both of the affairs likely to be in no-spectator mode, hotel rooms might be easy to find.
              The Pre folks have not yet issued me either the four tickets I ordered or a refund.

Comment

There is no way spectators will be allowed at a football game at Autzen in the first week of October....the governor has already banned spectators through September...

Weather in early October is very pleasant....if it does come off they will keep capacity at Hayward way down. I suspect there will be plenty of hotel rooms.

Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-12-2020, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Anyways....football won't happen unless universities open....and I think that is unlikely this fall.

Dr. Anthony Fauci: "The idea of having treatments available or a vaccine to facilitate the reentry of students into the fall term would be something that would be a bit of a bridge too far."

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/s...39172801122305

Comment

Am I reading right that Eugene would have been the DL Final in 2022, meaning it would have been held late August/early September that year? Didn't know they were doing a rotating DL final year after year.

This year, I could see the DL, if they go off, with no fans and just the local talent and stars from the country. No way things are ready for even half what a DL meet is by the fall. But hopefully they can manage something that's safe for get the ball rolling.
                    ​​

Comment

I'm curious to know what they think is going to happen within the next 3 months that will enable international athletes to travel around the world again. I mean really, who would want to spend 10 hours in a cramped space with strangers for a bit of running/jumping in Europe or Shanghai?

Comment

Hard to think of as nothing more than local affairs.....China is quarantining ....who wants to go through that.

Anyways local affairs would be far better than nothing....

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                          Am I reading right that Eugene would have been the DL Final in 2022, meaning it would have been held late August/early September that year? Didn't know they were doing a rotating DL final year after year....
                          ​​
                          the mention of such in the WA release is the first I'd ever heard of it

Comment

the mention of such in the WA release is the first I'd ever heard of it
                            I get all the relevant emails in town...OTC etc....and I never heard of it either....

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                              This year, I could see the DL, if they go off, with no fans and just the local talent and stars from the country. No way things are ready for even half what a DL meet is by the fall. But hopefully they can manage something that's safe for get the ball rolling.​​
                              I, too, suspect that there will be limited participation by the fall, especially because there will be no final with big prize $$$ at the end. But I think that garden pole vault thing showed us that there is a huge thirst for live sports right now, and that will probably remain the case well into the fall. If that is so, whatever DL meets can be held will likely attract good tv viewership, and also keep the sport in the news, which is important, especially if other sports start to open up as well.

Whether there will be live spectators and athletes from many countries could depend on where things stand with that damned virus. I wish I were more optimistic about that.

Comment

Working...
                              X