Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATK View Post
    Am I reading right that Eugene would have been the DL Final in 2022, meaning it would have been held late August/early September that year? Didn't know they were doing a rotating DL final year after year.
    ​​
    It must be a new thing. Ever since the DL started in 2010, the final has always been split between Zurich and Brussels.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

There was an article on the front page, as well as in The Oregonian where the university was surprised by the decision to schedule Prefontaine on Oct. 4th.

https://www.oregonlive.com/trackandf...-on-oct-4.html

So who's at fault for miscommunication? I would guess scheduling a specific date for Prefontaine at Hayward Field is not something that just casually gets done without confirmation?

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        Anyways....football won't happen unless universities open....and I think that is unlikely this fall.

Dr. Anthony Fauci: "The idea of having treatments available or a vaccine to facilitate the reentry of students into the fall term would be something that would be a bit of a bridge too far."

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/s...39172801122305
        It looks like the major California universities are going to be primarily online-only this fall, which would knock them out of college football. I'm guessing the west coast will follow.

I don't think the football game will be an issue and I'm not super optimistic Pre happens, but if it does, I am hoping I get credentialed and am allowed to come!

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post

It looks like the major California universities are going to be primarily online-only this fall, which would knock them out of college football. I'm guessing the west coast will follow.
          May turn out to be true but I would draw a distinction between what the California State University system announced and what the UC spokesperson said.

The CSU system announced that they will be primarily online-only.

UC, the much more important player, said they are looking at a "mixed approach" that could include classroom teaching. Also said they don't expect to make a decision for another month.

Most of the more than 770,000 students at California's two main university systems aren't likely to return to campus this fall.

Comment

The NCAA will have some issues when schools start making their decisions on opening campus or not in the fall. The idea of an even playing field was brought up by some coaches when things were quickly getting shut down in March. Especially considering schools in the same conference are located in different states and sometimes, completely different regions of the country.

Comment

we now return you to our discussion of the Diamond League

Comment

Meanwhile....before you get a hotel room....

The University of Oregon isn’t ready to grant the Prefontaine Classic use of Hayward Field on Oct. 4

The UO issued a release Tuesday, saying it was surprised by the decision to schedule the meet on Oct. 4.

The release reads in part: “In light of of guidelines issued last week by Oregon Gov. Kate Brown and continued efforts to safely reopen the state, we cannot confirm the availability of Hayward Field.”

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                  The historical average high for Eugene on October 04 is 70F (21C)
                  Early October in Oregon is frequently delightful. It is much less likely to be ruined by rain.

Comment

I would imagine that if the Pre Classic goes on in October, there will be no spectators and it will be available on live-streaming. My guess is that October will be way too early to host any sports with any spectators.

Comment

I feel World Athletics put out the schedule without doing much planning or preparation on how these meets will actually take place. The U of Oregon not knowing about the October 4th date highlights that a bit, and the TBA Chinese city on the 17th, also is questionable. Its still "scheduled" but "unknown" where it will take place.

Comment

Meanwhile....I just found out talking to one of construction guys Hayward will be all done next week! Looks great...

Comment

I would love to see as much athletics as possible this summer as I’m sure we all would, but would athletes want to compete in October when there is an early-ish Olympics next year, most athletes start their winter training by then

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                            In August:
                            Monaco (14th), Gateshead (16th) and Stockholm (23rd).

In September:
                            Lausanne (2nd), Brussels (4th), Paris (6th tbc), (Rome/Naples (17th), Shanghai (19th)

In October: Eugene (4th), Doha (9th), a second meeting in China (17th, venue tba).

story posted on home page
                            definitely not the same without Zurich and London
                            don’t see many athletes wanting to hang around this late (mid October) with the Olympics scheduled relatively early next year. Btw the German soccer league just re started today and nascar is restarting tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by tm71 View Post

don’t see many athletes wanting to hang around this late (mid October) with the Olympics scheduled relatively early next year.
                              Why not? They need to make money like anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
                                I would love to see as much athletics as possible this summer as I’m sure we all would, but would athletes want to compete in October when there is an early-ish Olympics next year, most athletes start their winter training by then
                                "earlyish" is by a week or two; hardly going to crush training schedules.

as for competing in October, there are plenty of high-end athletes who can use the the money these DL meets will provide, no matter how much it's cut back.

Comment

Working...
                                X