Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Garden Vault

Stefanidi, Nageotte and Newman, May 16, jumping at 4m (~13').

Please excuse my jaded perspective, but that is simply too low to sustain even my erstwhile ardent interest in PV.
    It's just a pure endurance test, which is not what this event should be accentuating. Put the bar at 4.40 (should have been 5.50 for the men) and we'll see a true test of athleticism AND endurance. Those last few shots at a higher bar would be much more interesting. JIMHO.

My only issue watching the men was the display of the scores. The on-site numbers were very hard to read (particularly Mondo's early on). The "studio" numbers lagged throughout, to the point the commentator did not know who had won. Instead of magic marker on paper, I hope the women use something like lap counters.

I'm looking forward to this competition. I just looked at my calendar, and I happen to have nothing else scheduled.
    Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Originally posted by Master403 View Post
      I just looked at my calendar, and I happen to have nothing else scheduled.
      HA!
      Made me laugh out loud.
      Thanks.

Comment

I wonder why no one thought about just having a remote meet. Just raise the bar like a normal competition. You'd probably have to get rid of the time limit or extend it to 5 minutes.

Comment

One of my first thoughts was "what about Sandi Morris?". We know she has some kind of home backyard vault facility. But I just read that she has had a knee problem that is preventing her participation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post
            I wonder why no one thought about just having a remote meet. Just raise the bar like a normal competition. You'd probably have to get rid of the time limit or extend it to 5 minutes.
            and you'd need to sanitize the landing mat every time somebody hit it

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              Could not all contestants be tested virus free?

Comment

Not if there's only one vaulter at each venue. I thought that was the assumption, but the only thing that would change would be that the bar would be raised after each clearance, as in a regular meet. There would still be only three vaulters, each in his/her garden.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post

Not if there's only one vaulter at each venue. I thought that was the assumption, but the only thing that would change would be that the bar would be raised after each clearance, as in a regular meet. There would still be only three vaulters, each in his/her garden.
                  post #4 asked why not a remote meet

Comment

Not if there's only one vaulter at each venue. I thought that was the assumption
                    That's how I understood it. Each one is at a different venue.
                    I like the idea. Could work for all the field events (disregarding conditions at each, which everyone would have to be OK with . . . OR . . . do it with 'basic' marks, by making up some rough wind/alt conversions.
                    Last edited by Atticus; 05-15-2020, 08:04 PM.

Comment

post #4 asked why not a remote meet
                      Yes, but what is a remote meet? I thought he was assuming there would be the same three jumpers in their respective gardens, but instead of having them all jump at the same height to see how many clearances they could do within the stated time period, they could do a meet in which the normal rules would apply. Decide in advance on a starting height and increment progressions. And then let them jump in turn as if they were competing in person although they would, in fact, be physically separated.

Comment

IMO, any competition held at different venues is just entertainment.

Comment

And what's wrong with our sport being entertainment? It sure beats having nothing at all for the athletes and the viewers, and the men's garden vault generated a lot of good publicity for the sport. Is it as good as everything that's been canceled? Of course not, but we can't have that now.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                            IMO, any competition held at different venues is just entertainment.
                            Of course it is; that's why it's . . . entertaining!
                            If we can't have 'real' meets (which we can't), this is the next best thing.

Comment

And what's wrong with our sport being entertainment? It sure beats having nothing at all for the athletes and the viewers, and the men's garden vault generated a lot of good publicity for the sport. Is it as good as everything that's been canceled? Of course not, but we can't have that now.
                              Indeed....my biggest gripe with the sport is every meet has to be the equivalent of a science experiment....the same events ....same people....from city to city...a sport only statisticians care about anymore...

What's wrong with being entertaining once in while indeed....the sub 2 projects showed this and was hugely popular...

Comment

Working...
                              X