Natural and unnatural events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural and unnatural events

If there is intelligent life on some distant planet, there is a good chance they do something that resembles track and field.
    They likely compete who can move the fastest, over short, medium and long distances. They will try to defeat gravity by jumping as high or as far as possible. They may also see who can propel various implements as far (or as high?) as they can.
    But will they do the triple jump? That seems more contrived. Why not a double or quadruple jump?

Pole vaulting and hurdles/steeplechase seem reasonably natural, but I don’t know about walks.
    What do you think?

I recognize TJ as a highly skilled technical event, admire those proficient at it and enjoy watching it. I even enjoyed doing it when my college coach had us Broad Jumpers experiment with the Hop Step Jump in Oly year 1952. But, I agree, it is a contrived event.

Comment

Agree about the triple, which is my favorite event after the 2/4, but its very strange.

The hammer seems a bit strange as well since its not a singular object like the other throws. Also, the steeple seems natural, until they see runners come around jumping into a random pit of water.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
        Agree about the triple,. . . , but its very strange.
        Me 3. I love it, but when I introduce it to athletes, I get a blank stare . . . 'why would anyone even do that?'

Comment

Perhaps if these lifeforms have different numbers of, or distribution of, limbs they might have developed some different events?

I agree that TJ is an odd one. However, I enjoy watching it and, despite being useless at it like I was most T&F events, I enjoyed doing it in my youth. It probably helped that I lacked the speed or strength to generate high landing forces!

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
            Agree about the triple, which is my favorite event after the 2/4, but its very strange.

The hammer seems a bit strange as well since its not a singular object like the other throws. Also, the steeple seems natural, until they see runners come around jumping into a random pit of water.
            The steeple is just a substitute for XC on the track. As a fan of the mid to long distance races on the track, it is my least favorite of them types. That doesn't mean I dislike it. I'd just rather watch the other events.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

The steeple is just a substitute for XC on the track. As a fan of the mid to long distance races on the track, it is my least favorite of them types. That doesn't mean I dislike it. I'd just rather watch the other events.
              Yeah, I kinda cringe every time an exhausted steepler approaches a water jump or hurdle. ..falling is not run while running.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

I concur. Hell, I have always thought that the steeple should be run outside of the stadium. Let them run up and down a hill, jump over a few hedges, a wooden fence and a ditch,

Comment

If a TJ or St are "unnatural", how "natural" are any gymnastics apparatus events or swimming in a fly version?
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
                    If a TJ or St are "unnatural", how "natural" are any gymnastics apparatus events or swimming in a fly version?
                    I've said that about Swimming for years. Just jump in the water and.... SWIM !!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Klingon View Post

I concur. Hell, I have always thought that the steeple should be run outside of the stadium. Let them run up and down a hill, jump over a few hedges, a wooden fence and a ditch,
                      The origin of the name "steeplechase" came about from a couple of horse riders challenging each other to a race to a church steeple. The t&f event is a human version of the horse race.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                        The origin of the name "steeplechase" came about from a couple of horse riders challenging each other to a race to a church steeple. The t&f event is a human version of the horse race.
                        Oh, I always thought it was villagers racing on foot from one town's steeple to the next town's steeple at some annual festival, mimicking a cross-country horse race.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Oh, I always thought it was villagers racing on foot from one town's steeple to the next town's steeple at some annual festival, mimicking a cross-country horse race.
                          The word was originally used for races between horses:

https://wordhistories.net/2018/08/07...echase-origin/

Comment

Ok. So the steeplechase is an event mimicking a cross country steeplechase event originally run by horses. Did we cover everybody?

Comment

Which brings up a recurring wonder for me.. and I have asked this before.. what sustained the numerous grand manor houses, churches and surrounding hamlets only a mile or two apart? There just doesn't seem to be enough agricultural land ..

Comment

Working...
                              X