Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seb Coe: Track and field needs more U.S. meets

Seb Coe did an interview earlier this week linked below. When the decision was made a few years to give the world championships to Eugene without any bidding process it raised a few eyebrows, but it looks like that was part of a strategy to raise the profile of the sport in the US over a sustained period culminating with the Olympics in LA.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/...mpression=true

He did that 2 days ago? Coe been in a cave somewhere....

The idea the WCs in Eugene was going to boost one day meets in the US always seemed farfetched....the Olympics never do these days...in one ear out the other....

But who knows what the post C19 will be like....just staying the same would be a huge win...

And yes let's talk about the old days which probably aren't coming back.

“When I was competing a long time ago, there did seem to be more opportunities for U.S. athletes to be competing on domestic soil,” Coe said.

All in all a rather clueless interview...

Coe's political skills are dubious at times....I remember when he was the Chief of Staff for the former Conservative leader William Hague....it didn't go well....the only Tory leader of the 20th century not to become Prime Minister.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-17-2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

So back in 2015, when the IAAF gave Eugene the 2021 WCs, Coe already knew what the IOC was going to do in 2017, which was giving the 2028 games to Los Angeles, and planned the IAAF strategy accordingly?
      Wow, he truly is the chosen one.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
        So back in 2015, when the IAAF gave Eugene the 2021 WCs, Coe already knew what the IOC was going to do in 2017, which was giving the 2028 games to Los Angeles, and planned the IAAF strategy accordingly?
        Wow, he truly is the chosen one.
        That actually doesn't seem so far-fetched to me. I'm not into conspiracy theories, but that seems like a logical plan to have. America does gots them $$$ !

Comment

By that logic the US should be hosting all Olympic games. The only way to predict where games are going is if there was only one candidate. The much easier explanation is Coe trying to take credit where no credit is due and wouldn't that be just what you would expect from an (ex-)politician. Is athletics more popular in the US now because you've had games in 84 and 96? Is it more popular now in Britain? On the contrary, athletics is actually having a big crisis in the UK. What about Brazil, athletics doing better there now? This is political bull, nothing else.
          But apart from the nonsense, when has that ever worked?

Comment

Just for the record: Coe wasn't in charge at the IAAF when it awarded '21 to Eugene. That was a Diack deal.

Comment

As pointed out Coe wasn’t in charge of WA/IAAF at the time of the Eugene award - if anything he’s overseen the introduction of regulations that would mean that Eugene would never be a suitable host in the future.

How to make a one day meet international series work continues to be one of (possibly the) biggest challenges in international athletics. Outside about 10 big European meets, in recent years very little evidence of a market existing. Particularly in the case of the US, IMO that market either needs to be proven or like tennis there’ll be an increased swing to China and the Moddke East.

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              Coe's political skills are dubious at times....I remember when he was the Chief of Staff for the former Conservative leader William Hague....it didn't go well....the only Tory leader of the 20th century not to become Prime Minister.
              I think it’d be dangerous to dismiss Coe’s political skills - particularly with reference to Hague. Hague didn’t win an election in the twentieth century - he also didn’t contest one in the twentieth century. He was the first of three Conservative leaders to fail to win and the fourth only won a majority at the second attempt. Coe’s political nouse to rebound to being head of the 2012 LOCOG says an awful lot.

Comment

True....but the baseball cap fiasco was I believe Coe's idea....I remember it well.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...politicalnews2
                Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-21-2020, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                  Is it more popular now in Britain? On the contrary, athletics is actually having a big crisis in the UK.
                  It is???

Comment

Meanwhile.....I criticize Coe sometimes but he was helpful to me once as an MP....in 1992 I was having trouble getting a work permit in England to teach mathematics....so knowing we had a common acquaintance in Joe Newton I wrote to Coe at Parliament mentioning that and what I asked. And what do you know he wrote back! Saying he tried but the school, in Kent, wasn't in his constituency so not much he could do.

Comment

Working...
                    X