Future of NCAA T&F/XC Season and Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of NCAA T&F/XC Season and Programs

First Akron cut their men's XC program last week. Then today Central Michigan (also in the MAC conference) is cutting their Men's T&F program effective immediately.

https://cmuchippewas.com/news/2020/5...m-changes.aspx

Cal State is closing campuses in the fall, while Notre Dame and South Carolina announced that they will open campus earlier in August, to complete the semester and send students home by Thanksgiving, which is more promising and inline with the XC season. Some coaches have noted that if their campuses are not open in the fall, there wont be any XC (or other sports).

I wonder if there will be more fall out with any notable (power 5?) schools cutting T&F/XC programs soon. And some coaches have noted the idea of even playing field could come into play if (when) all schools are doing something different in the fall.

Given the everything's-up-in-the-air nature of the bizarre times we're living in right now, I wouldn't over-react to all the sky-is-falling proclamations we're hearing from all directions. In 18 months this will be mostly sorted out, and THEN we can assess where we are - and where we're going.

Comment

I don't think you can make many solid assumptions based on the actions of lower-level D1 institutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        Given the everything's-up-in-the-air nature of the bizarre times we're living in right now, I wouldn't over-react to all the sky-is-falling proclamations we're hearing from all directions. In 18 months this will be mostly sorted out, and THEN we can assess where we are - and where we're going.
        Yea, I was kind of thinking short term though, how are things going to be affected this fall in the next 4 months and leading towards indoors.

Also forgot to note Florida International University cut Mens indoor track as well.

Comment

https://twitter.com/RonnieW11/status...98707661721600

More non-revenue sports on the chopping block. Furman cut baseball and men's lacrosse earlier this week. A close friend from the Duke golf team had a son who played baseball there and then played minor league ball for 3 years and my buddy was a big donor to the athletic department. They are irate.

Comment

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/stor...ms/5225835002/

Comment

Appalachian State (part of Sun Belt Conference) cuts Men's Indoor Track And Field. They will keep XC and Outdoor Track though.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2020...m-changes.aspx

Comment

Brown cutting varsity men's indoor and outdoor track and cross-country - transitioning them to club sports

Comment

How many D! schools actually realize a profit from their "revenue" sports without subsidies from NCAA/TV money?
                  Last edited by jc203; 05-30-2020, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                    Brown cutting varsity men's indoor and outdoor track and cross-country - transitioning them to club sports
                    I have a niece in the Bears gymnastics program. I'll let her know I am disowning her.

Comment

That's kinda big news. T&F flourished early in the Ivies and for one to cut it is very sad.

Comment

They did it so calling the conference meet the Heptagonals makes sense.
                        Last edited by Black September; 05-29-2020, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Twenty something years ago, I had a business associate in Arizona whose son was a nationally ranked middle distance runner, went to Brown on some sort of scholarship based on athletic ability... was never heard from again.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                            Twenty something years ago, I had a business associate in Arizona whose son was a nationally ranked middle distance runner, went to Brown on some sort of scholarship based on athletic ability... was never heard from again.
                            I don't believe any Ivy school has athletic scholarships. Athletes may receive favorable admissions decisions due to their expected contribution to a team (just as a flute player would get some consideration if the band needed a flute player). But scholarships are based strictly on need, or on meeting some other criteria not related to sports. Once admitted, a student has no obligation (other than a moral obligation) to participate in the sport or other activity that may have helped him/her get admitted.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                              I don't believe any Ivy school has athletic scholarships. Athletes may receive favorable admissions decisions due to their expected contribution to a team (just as a flute player would get some consideration if the band needed a flute player). But scholarships are based strictly on need, or on meeting some other criteria not related to sports. Once admitted, a student has no obligation (other than a moral obligation) to participate in the sport or other activity that may have helped him/her get admitted.
                              Yes, Ivies give athletic scholarships . . . in the very way you describe. Coaches tell Admissions to give preferential treatment to a stud, and then 'need-based' (as in - I need a sub-9 two-miler) scholarships are granted. I've seen it time and time again coming out of our school. It's a poorly kept secret.

Comment

Working...
                              X