Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future of NCAA T&F/XC Season and Programs

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    The NCAA has announced that the XC season will begin January 30, 2021 and the NCAA XC Championships will be March 15. Clearly overlaps indoor track season, but not outdoors.
    Guess they couldn't find another weekend ??

    Comment


    • March Madness considerations?

      Comment


      • https://twitter.com/ChrisChavez/stat...27143082205186

        Minnesota Board of Regents to vote tomorrow on fate of the programs U Minn athletic department recommended cutting, including T&F

        Comment


        • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
          https://twitter.com/ChrisChavez/stat...27143082205186
          Minnesota Board of Regents to vote tomorrow on fate of the programs U Minn athletic department recommended cutting, including T&F
          Fingers crossed!
          Standord alums are trying to get a review of the 11 programs cut, but that'll be a steep uphill battle. It'll take some targeted endowment donations, which, come to think of it, may happen in several cases. There's lotsa Silicon Vally millionaires that graduated from the Red Tree Farm.

          Comment


          • Apparently at U Minnesota the Board of Regents have voted to eliminate men's gymnastics, men's tennis, and indoor track (I think only men), but keep outdoor track & field.

            Comment


            • Men's outdoor is saved...

              Regents vote to drop three Gophers men's programs but save outdoor track

              https://m.startribune.com/regents-vo...ack/572690622/

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                Men's outdoor is saved...

                Regents vote to drop three Gophers men's programs but save outdoor track

                https://m.startribune.com/regents-vo...ack/572690622/
                Like the incremental cost of Indoor and XC are very high given Outdoor [scholarships, coaches, etc.] and it is ironic since the big deal was the great new indoor facility.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

                  Like the incremental cost of Indoor and XC are very high given Outdoor [scholarships, coaches, etc.] and it is ironic since the big deal was the great new indoor facility.
                  Yes its dumb....of course indoors counts as a separate sport so Title IX is the point. Anyways good news that outdoor is back.

                  Minnesota doesn't compete much at indoors.
                  Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-09-2020, 09:01 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                    Apparently at U Minnesota the Board of Regents have voted to eliminate men's gymnastics, men's tennis, and indoor track (I think only men), but keep outdoor track & field.
                    Does that mean the UM guys will not be allowed to train indoors? 😂😂😂

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

                      Does that mean the UM guys will not be allowed to train indoors? 😂😂😂
                      Yes...orders to shoot.

                      I just talked to my brother in Minnesota whose son was on the team with Blankenship and Mead. They are over the moon about it. Big push by alumni and parents is what did it.

                      As for indoors they can still have meets they just can't run for Minnesota.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

                        Like the incremental cost of Indoor and XC are very high given Outdoor [scholarships, coaches, etc.] and it is ironic since the big deal was the great new indoor facility.
                        But they can drop 40+ (or however big their indoor roster is) countable men from the Title IX equation while preserving the actual Olympic sport.

                        Comment


                        • For them to drop 3 men's sports while retaining all the women's sports, they must have been very far out of compliance with Title IX with a huge excess of male athletes, or this decision will cause them to violate Title IX in the opposite direction (i.e. too few male athletes relative to women).

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                            For them to drop 3 men's sports while retaining all the women's sports, they must have been very far out of compliance with Title IX with a huge excess of male athletes, or this decision will cause them to violate Title IX in the opposite direction (i.e. too few male athletes relative to women).
                            Right....when I talked to my brother today they were planning to cut women's cc to 20 from the 60+ they have now. Keeping outdoors men they are not going to do that.

                            Comment


                            • Keep in mind that even though the pool of potential athletes from high school sports is 58% male, but Title IX bases its quota system on the college student body which are mostly non-athletes and 56% female.

                              Comment


                              • Some interesting thoughts here - not sure I agree with all of it and I hope it doesn't encourage more T&F programs being cut, but still interesting - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/13/s...?smid=tw-share

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X