Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Some interesting thoughts here - not sure I agree with all of it and I hope it doesn't encourage more T&F programs being cut, but still interesting - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/13/s...?smid=tw-share
    Any program that goes the club route will see just how expensive (aka undoable) a travel schedule is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Any program that goes the club route will see just how expensive (aka undoable) a travel schedule is.
      ...and facility maintenance, equipment, coaching, etc.

I wonder if anyone has considered selling individual team sponsorship rights...i.e., University of Washington Track and Field team brought to you by Amazon.com. They're already selling sponsorship rights to shoe companies for entire athletic departments so it doesn't seem like it would be much different.

Comment

• https://kcroos.com/news/2020/10/22/g...-programs.aspx

Doesn't sound so good for the future of these programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post

...and facility maintenance, equipment, coaching, etc.

I wonder if anyone has considered selling individual team sponsorship rights...i.e., University of Washington Track and Field team brought to you by Amazon.com. They're already selling sponsorship rights to shoe companies for entire athletic departments so it doesn't seem like it would be much different.
          I could be wrong, but I don't believe they sell sponsorship rights to shoe companies. You've never heard of the "Nike Oregon Ducks" have you? I'm assuming that the schools strike a deal with the apparel company agreeing to wear only their stuff and the company pays a fee to do so.

Comment

• Indeed....for lots of money....however it doesn't always go well..

Under Armour ‘Attempting To Terminate’ Apparel Deal With UCLA

Under Armour is “attempting to terminate” its $280-million apparel deal with UCLA, per L.A. Times reporter Ben Bolch.

The Bruins are four years into their 15-year deal with the major sports apparel company. UCLA signed the sponsorship deal – worth a record-breaking $280 million, the largest sponsorship deal in the NCAA – back in 2016. The deal nets the Bruins approximately $12.5 million in apparel and cash per year.

https://thespun.com/pac-12/ucla/unde...deal-with-ucla

Comment

• Surprised nobody has posted this yet but the William & Mary women's T&F team has taken a stand in support of the men, and say they will refuse to represent the university unless the men T&F team is also restored.

Comment

• That news was posted in the front page headline section yesterday morning.

Comment

• https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/c...t44-story.html

Comment

• Sorry, this includes indoor/outdoor T&F for William & Mary - both being reinstated

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                      Sorry, this includes indoor/outdoor T&F for William & Mary - both being reinstated
                      Reading between the lines of the Stanford decision to cut 11 sports, I see they have almost ZERO chance of being reinstated.
                      Stanford has said that any effort to raise sufficient funds for even one of those sports to resume will be spent to support the Club team that will form (if the students wish to pursue the Club route).

Comment

• Clemson kills men's track and XC.. story on home page

Comment

• and now a second link on home page: letter from the Clemson AD, rationalizing away....

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                            and now a second link on home page: letter from the Clemson AD, rationalizing away....
                            To wit:

The annual $2-million plus in savings will be reinvested into . . .
                            . . . Dabo Swinney's contract extension . . .

Comment

• Its pretty comical....the hypocrisy in college athletics never ceases to amaze.

Dabo Swinney and his 10 on-the-field assistants will make $16.395 million in 2020, a 5 percent increase from the $15.645 million the group last year. The $1 million savings generated by losing Scott were almost entirely eaten up by corresponding promotions to fill his spot:

– Tony Elliott earned a $600,000 raise in taking over the sole offensive coordinator role.
                              – Quarterbacks coach Brandon Streeter netted a $90,000 raise in adding passing game coordinator duties.
                              – Tyler Grisham will earn $300,000 as wide receivers coach.

https://footballscoop.com/news/with-...st-paid-staff/
                              Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-05-2020, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                                Its pretty comical....the hypocrisy in college athletics never ceases to amaze.

Well said!

Is the value of scholarships included in the $2 million projected savings? I can't imagine the actual costs of the XC & T&F teams come anywhere close to that.

Comment

Working...
                                X