Sub-4:00 attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post

other than noting it's in California, organizers have kept the site secret to avoid an unhealthy crush of people showing up
    That's a good idea...so in California....so I assume 8 PDT...the CST has to be an error. Anyways it should be fun. And a great idea.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-22-2020, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
      CST or CDT, I just assumed most understand both as whatever the current Central Time it is. I would guess many (most?) Americans don't know why there are different acronyms and why clocks change through the year anyway.

The race is happening in California. The details seem a bit loose and not solid on safety etc. But I guess its happening.

Here are the background details on the race: https://www.milesplit.com/articles/280010

And the Meet info page:https://www.milesplit.com/articles/2...e-on-milesplit
      My work has me speaking to people all over the country by defined appointment for the most part. I'm East Coast and, recently at least, have had many of those appointments with people in Arizona. I typically confirm what timezone they are in with the question you're in Central time, Mountain time, Pacific time respectively and in most cases I get what is to me the right answer. Not so in Arizona. "I'll call you at noon tomorrow ok. You're in Mountain time right? Answer - yep. Then I call an hour early because they are on Mountain Standard time which is essentially PDT. I've changed the question to a more simple "what time is it where you are".

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
        Not so in Arizona. "I'll call you at noon tomorrow ok. You're in Mountain time right? Answer - yep. Then I call an hour early because they are on Mountain Standard time which is essentially PDT.
        Unless the caller is in Navajo nation (a sizable part of Arizona), which is MDT, the same as the other states of the Mountain time zone.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post

Unless the caller is in Navajo nation (a sizable part of Arizona), which is MDT, the same as the other states of the Mountain time zone.
          Thanks. I finally decided to look it up and saw that info.

Comment

So, is it on Saturday or Sunday and if Saturday, what were the results?

Comment

it's not until this evening

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                it's not until this evening
                Thanks. Between all of the time zone stuff, I missed am versus pm.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Just getting ready to start (Sacramento).

https://accounts.milesplit.com/live/...antine-clasico

Comment

60.0 at 440
                      2:02.8 at 880
                      3:02 at 3/4
                      3:59.54!! Leo Daschbach
                      Last edited by Atticus; 05-24-2020, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Group photo of the field after the intros. All standing right next to each other. No social distancing at all. Several runners hugged the winner after the race. I hope they're all ok.

Comment

Thanks Atticus for video clip of race. It gave me goose bumps and memories. The pace setters were not the best experienced "professional pace setters". A 59.0, 1:58.5 would have been a better chance for the group to run in a pack of pace setter and then let loose in last lap. Did I miss some of the introduction information but I thought I didn't here any runner under 4:03 in group? I know of one Winot, CO senior who ran 4:00.1 indoors in February and then got sidelined with Covid-19 restrictions, was he in the race?
                          I had wished the group was not so spread out down the first lap. The winner was an 880/miler against the other mile/two milers and pace was just right for him.

I wish they had this enthusiasm for high school milers in my era with a paced race. History may have been written differently?????

Comment

Ok. Dumb question. Maybe I should know this but: When you move the start line back to run a mile on a 400M track, where do you take the splits.? 440yard increments are not marked on the track.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                              Ok. Dumb question. Maybe I should know this but: When you move the start line back to run a mile on a 400M track, where do you take the splits.? 440yard increments are not marked on the track.
                              You just move 1/4th of the way down to finish line from the start....if they got 440 splits...

Comment

if you watch the tape you'll see that they had a cone system that was moved each lap to give 440 points.

Comment

Working...
                                X