Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sub-4:00 attempt

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by gh View Post

    if we worried about alphabet-soup sanctions, many marks would lose their status
    Could you cite an example or two?

    There are a number of organizations that can sanction an event, to distinguish workouts and time trials from legitimate competitions. If TFN can unilaterally decide that an event is legit, then TFN is just another member of the alphabet-soup set.
    Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Master403 View Post

      ... If TFN can unilaterally decide that an event is legit, then TFN is just another member of the alphabet-soup set.
      yeah,, but for 70 years we've been attemmpting to bring informed insight into what goes on, not following the dictates of mindless bureaucrats

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by tandfman View Post
        Another potential issue. I didn't see any umpires, and I saw at least one runner with a clear lane violation on the first turn (which was run in lanes). I didn't see the athlete's bib number and I haven't gone back to look at it again.
        Are you factoring in that this was a high school event, and has different rules for lane violations than NCAA or open?
        Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by gh View Post

          yeah,, but for 70 years we've been attemmpting to bring informed insight into what goes on, not following the dictates of mindless bureaucrats
          I'll try not to take that personally.
          Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by gh View Post

            yeah,, but for 70 years we've been attemmpting to bring informed insight into what goes on, not following the dictates of mindless bureaucrats
            Indeed....using common sense...

            The high school mile records thread is a good example explaining it....

            Comment


            • #51
              He threw up at the end....and on the track no less...is there a rule against that?

              You can't throw up at the end of eating contests....why should track be different....

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Master403 View Post

                I'll try not to take that personally.
                there's certainly no reason for you to have done so.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

                  Indeed....using common sense...

                  The high school mile records thread is a good example explaining it....
                  If you are referring to TFN accepting as high school marks performances that fall outside NFHS criteria, as a 50+ year subscriber, I'm quite familiar. That was not my point.

                  I'm asking for performances in events that were not sanctioned by USATF, NFHS, AAU, TAC, NAIA, or anyone else.

                  Also, as a practical matter, I don't know how anyone can rent a facility without the insurance that comes with such a sanction.
                  Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    He threw up at the end....and on the track no less...is there a rule against that?

                    You can't throw up at the end of eating contests....why should track be different....
                    Actually, to be really picky, you can throw up at the end of an eating contest - after it is over. You are disqualified if you do it while the contest is in progress - its called a "reversal of fortune."

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Had no idea John Mansoor coaches at Oak Ridge HS (https://trojanpride.com/staff.aspx?path=track). They also have a college-like athletics website, quite interesting.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

                        Actually, to be really picky, you can throw up at the end of an eating contest - after it is over. You are disqualified if you do it while the contest is in progress - its called a "reversal of fortune."
                        Really? I didn't know that.......you would think it would be unprofessional to throw up afterwards....anyways one less rule to worry about.
                        Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-24-2020, 11:10 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          They've been a Northern Cal football powerhouse for the last 15 years but rarely got very far in the playoffs because they are in same league as Folsom and Del Oro, both of whom have won multiple state titles - almost certainly the toughest football league in Northern California.
                          Looking at that website, they offer a full range of sports, including lacrosse (7 coaches) and ski/snowboard (13 coaches).

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by gm View Post
                            Had no idea John Mansoor coaches at Oak Ridge HS (https://trojanpride.com/staff.aspx?path=track). They also have a college-like athletics website, quite interesting.
                            Please tell me that most of those coaches are unpaid volunteers.
                            Last edited by Dave; 05-26-2020, 02:38 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                              Horrors! A lane violation in the first turn of a mile.
                              Yes it happened to Tom O’Hara in 1963 NCAA in Albuquerque in mile final- runners ran in lanes around first turn and broke for pole after passing small flag at each lane poked into ground ( no all weather surface back then). They said O’Hara’s lead leg and left foot went inside flag. No one knew about DQ until after O’Hara won the race easily. I forget actual time but I think 4:04 something pretty fast for 5200 feet above sea level. I am sure Tom is having a few words with that official this past years long with St Peter acting as mediator and final true answer.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                O'Hara ran 4:04.8, "beating" Morgan Groth's 4:05.3.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X