Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

June 7th - Ultimate Garden Clash - Combined Events Edition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • June 7th - Ultimate Garden Clash - Combined Events Edition

    https://www.worldathletics.org/news/...-square-off-in

    Kevin Mayer vs Niklas Kaul vs Maicel Uibo
    1. The competition will begin with the pole vault where the athletes will attempt to clear 4.00 metres as many times as possible during a 10-minute period.
    2. They'll then move on to the shot put where the challenge is to send the 7.26kg iron ball beyond a 12-metre line as often as possible, again during a 10-minute period.
    3. The triathlon concludes with a shuttle run competition in which two cones are placed 20 metres apart, with the athletes collecting points for each completed back and forth shuttle over the course of five minutes.
    Sunday June 7th at 5pm CEST on World Athletics YouTube, Facebook & Twitter

  • #2
    3 sounds like a good recipe for a blown hammy

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ATK View Post
      [*]The triathlon concludes with a shuttle run competition in which two cones are placed 20 metres apart, with the athletes collecting points for each completed back and forth shuttle over the course of five minutes.
      I don't care how fit you are, a 20m shuttle run for anything over 2 minutes is INSANE!
      It's nothing but accelerations, which burns a ton of anaerobic fuel.
      If they start out sprinting, they'll be walking half-way through.

      Comment


      • #4
        Looking forward to this one! Love the shuttle run, will take a ton of planning to get it right for each athlete.

        Comment


        • #5
          Do they have to retrieve the shot themselves or are there an unlimited supply....if the latter who has that many shots on hand....

          Whole thing sounds crazy....

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            I don't care how fit you are, a 20m shuttle run for anything over 2 minutes is INSANE!
            It's nothing but accelerations, which burns a ton of anaerobic fuel.
            If they start out sprinting, they'll be walking half-way through.
            same thing happens in a 1500.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Helen S View Post
              same thing happens in a 1500.
              The 1500 is aerobic [muscles are 'refueling' themselves] till the final sprint. This is anaerobic [too much energy expended to keep up] from the get-go.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                I don't care how fit you are, a 20m shuttle run for anything over 2 minutes is INSANE!
                It's nothing but accelerations, which burns a ton of anaerobic fuel.
                If they start out sprinting, they'll be walking half-way through.
                This one seems like a no-brainer to me... just run it at a steady pace. The changes in direction will be tedious.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by deroki View Post
                  This one seems like a no-brainer to me... just run it at a steady pace. The changes in direction will be tedious.
                  But these guys are born competitors, which in my experience means going hard all the time.
                  e.g., LaV was totally gassed after his Garden vault because he doesn't have a 'medium' setting on his motor.
                  Brawn > Brain!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    But these guys are born competitors, which in my experience means going hard all the time.
                    e.g., LaV was totally gassed after his Garden vault because he doesn't have a 'medium' setting on his motor.
                    Brawn > Brain!
                    I don't think I have seen any decathlete going all out in the first 400 of 1500m. But maybe I have not seen enough competitions.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                      I don't think I have seen any decathlete going all out in the first 400 of 1500m.
                      You are not supposed to. The 20m-shuttle was expressly designed to show explosive power. Jogging it defeats its purpose.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Whilst these competitions are fun to watch, I cant help but think they are recipes for injury

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          You are not supposed to. The 20m-shuttle was expressly designed to show explosive power. Jogging it defeats its purpose.
                          I assumed it was designed to include a running event, since running events are an important part of the decathlon. And 20m might have been the limit to what you could fit in all of the competitors' backyards.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tandfman View Post

                            I assumed it was designed to include a running event, since running events are an important part of the decathlon. And 20m might have been the limit to what you could fit in all of the competitors' backyards.
                            Why not 40 meter dashes between too sets of blocks; you count all those under 6 seconds. I guess timing is a problem at home... how about number of sub-30 200s in ten minutes.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              from worldathletics.org

                              athlete, PV PR, PV 2019 SB, SP PR, SP 2019 SB, 1500 PR, 1500 2019 SB
                              Kevin Mayer, 5.45, 5.05, 17.08, 17.08, 4:18.04, 4:36.11 (2018)
                              Niklas Kaul, 5.00, 5.00 (4.70 2020), 15.19, 15.19, 4:15.52, 4:15.70
                              Maicel Uibo, 5.40, 5.40, 15.12, 15.12 (14.82 2020), 4:25.53, 4:31.51

                              I know who I'm picking for SP.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X