Noah Lyles on current events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noah Lyles on current events

On Sunday, as protests grew in the wake of the police killings of unarmed black people George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, Lyles posted a declaration of his intentions on Twitter. He wrote that it was difficult for him to speak out “because all the positions I am in. But at a certain point you just have to say forget it because people need to see they have support.

“It hurts my heart because as an athlete I love running for my country,” he added. “But as a human being it is disheartening that my people are being killed while I go out and win [medals] for them to try and make the U.S. look good.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ake-it-better/

It would be nice at the Trials and WC trials to stop using the flag as a prop for the winners for a start.

Comment

What position is he in to make it difficult? Compared to Mexico City 1968 and Munich 1972, this is pretty much uncontroversial.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
        What position is he in to make it difficult? Compared to Mexico City 1968 and Munich 1972, this is pretty much uncontroversial.
        Not in the US.... Colin Kaepernick is the obvious example.

Not losing a place in the team....but sponsorships go down the drain.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Not in the US.... Colin Kaepernick is the obvious example.

Not losing a place in the team....but sponsorships go down the drain.
          This isn’t a rabbit hole worth going down, but are we sure that Kaepernick would even be in the NFL at this point with no protests, let alone starting? Different sports, but I don’t know that it’s a fair comparison to the best 200 sprinter in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Ztrappity View Post

This isn’t a rabbit hole worth going down, but are we sure that Kaepernick would even be in the NFL at this point with no protests, let alone starting? Different sports, but I don’t know that it’s a fair comparison to the best 200 sprinter in the world.
            100% sure he would have kept his position on his team.
            Last edited by ATK; 06-06-2020, 10:58 PM.

Comment

I see folks missed the point....

Speaking out is a marketing loser....especially for an unknown, in the real world, track guy...even if he is the best in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                HUH??????

Sorry, but that thought process is unfortunately part of the problem. Nothing has changed since 1968 or 1972. No matter how many times these companies and organisations post that they stand with us or that society wants us to believe.

The difficulty is knowing the American flag and anthem don't fully represent you and your experience
                The difficulty is knowing that speaking out about your true feelings on how blacks are treated in the country may get an executive in the company angry
                The difficulty is if you try to do a simple, non-disruptive, peaceful protest on a podium, you will be suspended (still happening in T&F as late as 2019)
                The difficulty is if you talk about how you feel, you risk the possibility of being watched to make sure you don't do anything other than stand erect facing the flag on the podium
                The difficulty is that speaking out at any time other than the last few weeks would be looked at as questionable by decision makers
                The difficulty is expressing your opinion may potentially cause you to lose your sponsor

Comment

I'm sure I'd noted this before, but I spent my 20 years in the military to DEFEND the rights Americans enjoy. I may not LIKE flag-burning and the like, but I sure want you to have that RIGHT.
                  We should applaud dissidents right now, because so much is WRONG in our United States (altho they don't feel so united right now).
                  My beef with Kapernick was that the American Flag does NOT stand for any of the bad things going on, esp. for Blacks (and Latins and Gays and Islamics, etc., etc.), but I sure understand his frustration and why he did what he did.
                  This nation was founded by dissidents, frevinsakes!

Comment

Let's leave Kaepernick out of this.....I'm sorry I brought him up....

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      the American Flag does NOT stand for any of the bad things going on, esp. for Blacks (and Latins and Gays and Islamics, etc., etc.)
                      "The colors of the flag are symbolic as well; red symbolizes hardiness and valor, white symbolizes purity and innocence, and blue represents vigilance, perseverance and justice."

You have to understand anyone protesting when what the flag "stands for" is not the experience they have in the country that flies that flag. Nor have those in power (all branches not just president) for centuries fully represented or fully held to those values.

Comment

The half life of this thread can be measured in microseconds....I can hear the sirens now...Boom!

Comment

We just cant down play the experiences of these athletes and WHY they are speaking out/protesting.

But yea, this will get closed quick. Sorry!

Comment

I disagree that this thread will be closed. There is a huge difference between "poliitics" and basic questions of human rights. The moderators know that.

It took the NFL 4 years to realize they were on the wrong side (and off sides) of the protest issue and kneeling.
                            Track and Field would be wise to allow athletes to make their voices heard.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                              "The colors of the flag are symbolic as well; red symbolizes hardiness and valor, white symbolizes purity and innocence, and blue represents vigilance, perseverance and justice."

You have to understand anyone protesting when what the flag "stands for" is not the experience they have in the country that flies that flag. Nor have those in power (all branches not just president) for centuries fully represented or fully held to those values.
                              great post, .. but has anyone measured up to the ideal of our founding? the day we all feel like we have is the day we have deluded ourselves into believing we are each something we are not, and likely the day we are all headed for a life of squalor under libertyless totalitarianism. Love of country is a love of our neighbor, you can't love your country and hate your neighbor.
                              Last edited by user4; 06-07-2020, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X