Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, Gwen Berry, who was was penalized for protesting on the podium at last years Pan American games, wrote a really powerful open letter. It was on the front page a few days ago.

http://citiusmag.com/gwen-berry-spor...ests-olympics/

"What infuriates me is the IOC’s own museum, in Lausanne, promotes and celebrates the importance of equality and respect. The IOC web site praises the sacrifice of athletes like Tommie Smith, John Carlos and Muhammad Ali for their protests, that brought attention to issues of race and equality – and yet the IOC destroyed Tommie and John’s career."

Comment

I guess the good news, in this regard, is that our sport is closer to 'equal opportunity' than virtually any other aspect of society/culture. We reward athletes solely on the measure of their ability. That can't be said of even many other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
        Basic human rights is all about politics.
        And for that reason, I will resist the temptation...
        I commend you for being a practical man.. I would just reiterate that countless of us in the anglosphere and beyond have held for over a millennia that our rights are not granted to us by governments, assemblies, parliaments or crowns. Those rights are ours by birth, governments can either protect them or infringe on them, they can never grant them.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          I guess the good news, in this regard, is that our sport is closer to 'equal opportunity' than virtually any other aspect of society/culture. We reward athletes solely on the measure of their ability. That can't be said of even many other sports.
          Lots of individual sports reward athletes on their ability. But some, like golf and tennis, lack the ease of entry that our sport has.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            I agree with tandfman that the barrier to entry is much lower in our sport compared to probably any other really.

But I kind of disagree, on your point Atticus that we reward solely on an athletes ability. On thing in American T&F I find interesting is, ignoring the best of the absolute best athletes, certain athletes, and specifically distance events in general, are given more spotlight, camera time, and attention in our media, which leads to opportunity

For example, I see athletes like Robby Andrews, Andrew Wheating, Leo Manzano, Ryan Hill and others in the distance realm arguably having gained equal or more "acclaim/recognition" in America than athletes like Walter Dix, Lauryn Williams or Angelo Taylor, who statistically have all been more successful than any of the distance runners (with the understanding were talking about different events).

And when, the most accessible sport, which requires the least amount of resources, is usually on the chopping block at Universities, it makes it much harder for black students to gain opportunities to attend the school in general. As noted, Brown cut men's track, the most diverse sport at the school, and upgraded sailing to varsity level, which is a clear cut example of the systemic issues in the country. How does someone even get into sailing competitively...
            Last edited by ATK; 06-09-2020, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post

And when, the most accessible sport, which requires the least amount of resources, is usually on the chopping block at Universities, it makes it much harder for black students to gain opportunities to attend the school in general. As noted, Brown cut men's track, the most diverse sport at the school, and upgraded sailing to varsity level, which is a clear cut example of the systemic issues in the country. How does someone even get into sailing competitively...
              Robby Andrews, Andrew Wheating, Leo Manzano, Ryan Hill....

Outside of Letsrun and here I doubt anyone knows those names at all in the US.

Sadly I suspect one reason track was cut and sailing upgraded is expectations on alumni donations. That's the reality of American universities.

Comment

Angelo Taylor got plenty of recognition . . .

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/05/1...angelo-taylor/

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                  Angelo Taylor got plenty of recognition . . .

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/05/1...angelo-taylor/
                  Yeah I thought I remembered the name....

Comment

In the general community, and among younger runners in High School or college, I'm willing to bet Manzano, Wheating, Andrews and Hill are way bigger names. I'm actually pretty confident this is the case based on experiences and simple observation following the sport in the past decade or so of their careers.

Fairly though, it also has to do with the culture of running in the general community, where distance running is a casual activity, where as sprinting and every other event is not (and even that is arguably a systemic issue in some cases). But again, media also plays into the stories a lot, and someone like Wheating got A LOT of attention though his "short" career in news, TV, etc. despite not having accomplished much. Also no way your serious about Manzano not being known...
                    Last edited by ATK; 06-09-2020, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Also no way your serious about Manzano not being known...

I'm very serious. If he showed up at a track meet at Hayward he'd be recognized....but the general public...forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                        Robby Andrews, Andrew Wheating, Leo Manzano, Ryan Hill....Outside of Letsrun and here I doubt anyone knows those names at all in the US.
                        Sadly I suspect one reason track was cut and sailing upgraded is expectations on alumni donations. That's the reality of American universities.
                        Everyone remembers Manzano, he was fantastic even in his loss to Alexis Arguelo. But what happened when he met Du koo Kim was tragic and Ill never forgive him for that. As for Ryan Hall, he was much better as a UFC fighter.
                        Last edited by user4; 06-09-2020, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                          Also no way your serious about Manzano not being known...
                          It's been eight years since he won an Olympic medal. And people tend to have very have short memory. Meb won Boston six years ago. I bet very few people in the general public still remember that.

Comment

Even Centrowitz is barely a blip on the general public radar screen. He could retire tomorrow and no one would care.

It is or was all Usain Bolt...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                              Even Centrowitz is barely a blip on the general public radar screen. He could retire tomorrow and no one would care.
                              I doubt that there is a single active US T&F athlete that could be recognized by name or photo by anything close to a majority of general US sports fans. I'd be surprised if over 10% of them could identify any athlete besides Carl Lewis or Marion Jones, who are just a tad past current . . .
                              Last edited by bad hammy; 06-09-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Maybe Allyson Felix???

Comment

Working...
                                X