Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    My premise: say the name to a 'general sports fan' and ask if they can guess where they may have heard it (no hint that it's a sports name). If they say T&F or 'Olympics runner', I win!.
    gh may be right, but I like my numbers!
    That doesn't mean anything...Alyson Felix...guess the sport...ice hockey is not a likely answer....

I could probably walk in Chicago for weeks before I ever found anyone who heard of Centrowitz.....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-10-2020, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
      Then you mention your criteria for the running community, two of which are exclusively mid-distance/distance runners, two of which potentially have other T&F athletes. Seems like your running community is mostly/exclusively mid-distance/distance runners, which means that they may more naturally be interested in other mid/distance runners, not sprinters or hurdlers or field eventers.
      And one of those two groups (hobby joggers) are not even interested in mid-distance. Almost every athlete featured in Runner's World is someone who races in 5k and up, and most of them are marathon runners. How many top African Americans are in those events, other than naturalized East Africans? (Marielle Hall is the only one I can think of.) There are more African Americans in mid-d, especially 800m. But 800m runners are rarely featured in RW. (When was the last time you saw a Clayton Murphy story there? And he is an Olympic medalist.)

Why don't we have more "home grown" African American runners in distance events? That's a whole different topic. Why don't we have more hobby sprinters and hobby hurdlers? That's yet another topic. But if we have a magazine for hobby sprinters and hobby hurdlers, top American athletes will be covered there.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Not in the US.... Colin Kaepernick is the obvious example.

Not losing a place in the team....but sponsorships go down the drain.
        Kaepernick was criticized by many because they saw his as disrespecting national symbols, so that's a different issue altogether. I can see how Lyles could get into trouble if he did a 1968-style protest on the Olympic podium, but just speaking out against racism and police brutality? Lots of American celebrities from various fields, including athletes, are doing that right now and I'm not seeing much of a backlash.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Gwen Berry was sanctioned for raising her fist on the winner's podium, now she's calling out the IOC's hypocrisy

https://sports.yahoo.com/gwen-berry-...125936472.html

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
            Gwen Berry was sanctioned for raising her fist on the winner's podium, now she's calling out the IOC's hypocrisy
            https://sports.yahoo.com/gwen-berry-...125936472.html
            I see the IOC is reconsidering banning protests like Smith and Carlos. How clueless do you have to be to misread the times. Smith and Carlos are seen are heroes now, as is Kapernick.

Comment

I see the IOC is reconsidering banning protests like Smith and Carlos. How clueless do you have to be to misread the times. Smith and Carlos are seen are heroes now, as is Kapernick.
              If the Olympics happen it will probably be a flood of protests with this attitude from the IOC.

Comment

I'm having a hard time understanding how this is tolerable to IOC
                https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-37186348
                "We spoke to the athlete and reminded him of the Olympic Charter," its media office said in an email to the BBC.
                while Smith/Carlos/Berry are not.

Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with any of them.
                Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post

I doubt that there is a single active US T&F athlete that could be recognized by name or photo by anything close to a majority of general US sports fans. I'd be surprised if over 10% of them could identify any athlete besides Carl Lewis or Marion Jones, who are just a tad past current . . .
                  I would imagine a significant number of the general public would recognise the name Carl Lewis.

However, I doubt many would recognise the name Marion Jones, but if you asked them:'
                  "do you remember the chick who won sprint gold medals but ended up in prison for lying to the Feds about drug taking"
                  They would probably say yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

If the Olympics happen it will probably be a flood of protests with this attitude from the IOC.
                    Speaking of, Sports Illustrated just did a piece interviewing 14 black t&f athletes about their experience being black, experience with racism and hopes for the future.

Grant Hollow noted:
                    "I wouldn’t be surprised if in 2021, people don’t stand on the podium. It has gone through my head a couple times. If we’re able to run this year or next year, I’m warming up for every track meet in an “I Can’t Breathe” shirt. Every track meet. It’s just one of those things that you have to bring notice to. If I get fined, I’m gonna eat that cost. I know whatever I do will make a big impact because of the platform I have. You have to think of things and take the backlash that’s going to come with it."

https://www.si.com/.amp/olympics/202...iences-america

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                      Grant Hollow noted:
                      His coach lives in Mouse Hollow! (way inside joke - Ball One - oh, more word-play!)

Comment

I'm starting to come around to allowing podium protests, what is the worst that can happen? That the nation's with the greatest levels of liberty and free speech rights will have the most protests . It will be a fantastic display for the 60% of the world that issis actually living in real fear.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG

I think the protests will happen whether allowed or not. My personal view would be to end the national anthem flag-waving and let the winner address the crowd for two minute to say whatever they would like or not.
                          Give out the medals and flowers, shake hands with silver and bronze, photo op and done.

This pretending that the Olympics are gifts form the gods on Olympus has grown old. Time for some changes there as well. Just my opinion.
                          Problem is that tv viewership and the related sponsor revenue seem to be driven largely by people cheering for their country, and not so much for individual athletes. .

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
                            I think the protests will happen whether allowed or not. My personal view would be to end the national anthem flag-waving and let the winner address the crowd for two minute to say whatever they would like or not. Give out the medals and flowers, shake hands with silver and bronze, photo op and done.
                            This pretending that the Olympics are gifts form the gods on Olympus has grown old. Time for some changes there as well. Just my opinion.
                            It surprises me to say that I agree with this assessment. Raise the flags, but lose the national anthem - just give out the medals. A post-ceremony presser can include political remarks.
                            Times HAVE changed and now sports (and we) need to change too. I could not bear to go back to business as usual.

Comment

It be great if the athletes could get together and agree that every podium winner take a knee.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                                Problem is that tv viewership and the related sponsor revenue seem to be driven largely by people cheering for their country, and not so much for individual athletes. .
                                While I think that is true, aren't people more interested in seeing their compatriot's winning race or performance than their medal ceremony?

Comment

Working...
                                X