Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

While I think that is true, aren't people more interested in seeing their compatriot's winning race or performance than their medal ceremony?
    Yes, but at least in the US, tv makes a big deal of the medal ceremonies when American athletes are involved, particularly if they're on top of the podium. I think that helps them hold viewership in the time between the event and the ceremony, which could significantly add to the number eyeballs watching the commercials that pay for the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post

Yes, but at least in the US, tv makes a big deal of the medal ceremonies when American athletes are involved, particularly if they're on top of the podium. I think that helps them hold viewership in the time between the event and the ceremony, which could significantly add to the number eyeballs watching the commercials that pay for the whole thing.
      I suspect that is particularly relevant for sports like swimming that tend to have quite a short gap between event and ceremony.

Comment

Yes, but if the announcer says "stay tuned for the medal ceremony" and the medal ceremony is a half hour later, that's even more time to hold the audience for a mixture of content and commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG

I believe the ceremonies are geared to the crowd on hand-something for them to watch while waiting for the action to resume.
          there's nothing to stop action from going on all the time; the schedules are engineered to have gaps for ceremonies, not the other way around. I loved the '16 World Indoor in Portland where the ceremonies were held en masse downtown a half-hour after the meet ended.

Comment

Something like that would be a fine idea at Hayward for 2022.

Comment

steering the thread back to its original focus, if you haven't read the Darrell Hill material on the home page, you should do so. (not behind a paywall)

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                read the Darrell Hill material on the home page
                Yes, interesting pair of articles. I've been a fan for a while, even while he was being overshadowed by Crouser, then Kovacs. Obviously intelligent and well-spoken.

will be 27yo this Aug

2015 - NCAA 2, USA 6, 68-5.25
                2016 - OT 3, DNQ for OG Final, 70-11.75
                2017 - USA 4, WC 11, 73-7.5 !!
                2018 - USA 1, 73-6 !
                2019 - USA 3, WC 5, 73-4 !

Will be fun to watch him, RC and JK in 21 AND 22
                Last edited by Atticus; 06-14-2020, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                  Gwen Berry was sanctioned for raising her fist on the winner's podium, now she's calling out the IOC's hypocrisy

https://sports.yahoo.com/gwen-berry-...125936472.html
                  I could not find a separate thread for Gwen Berry's issue with the IOC, but felt her NY Times Opinion video today (from the same series featuring Cain, Felix, and MontaƱo) was noteworthy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/07/o...s-protest.html

Comment

requires registration

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                      requires registration
                      This link might not.
                      https://www.wral.com/i-used-the-podi...d-me/19274472/

Comment

Thank you Ms Berry for speaking up. It is hypocritical in an event that promotes social justice between people as expressed by the spirit of competing in equal terms not to take the opportunity to demonstrate and emphasize the injustice in this world.

Comment

Did Cathy Freeman get any official IOC heat for doing a victory lap with the Aboriginal flag in '00?

Did Leo Manzano for taking a victory lap with American and Mexican flags?

I don't remember any for either.

Seems like it could qualify under "political" re: rule 50

Comment

Originally posted by Fortius19 View Post
                            Did Cathy Freeman get any official IOC heat for doing a victory lap with the Aboriginal flag in '00?

Did Leo Manzano for taking a victory lap with American and Mexican flags?

I don't remember any for either.

Seems like it could qualify under "political" re: rule 50
                            Seems like thoes examples add to the hypocrisy of how the rule is enforced.

Comment

What about all the years South Africa was banned from the Olympics because of apartheid? What is that if not a political statement?

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post

Seems like thoes examples add to the hypocrisy of how the rule is enforced.
                                I think it was David Wallechinsky, in one of his Olympics books, who said that athletes had sometimes been subject to disciplinary actions for making the wrong political point at the Olympics rather than making a political point. Generally, this has meant that those showing support for their governments have often escaped censure.

I suppose it might be argued by some that carrying any flag is a political statement. I think this could be true for certain countries. For example, the anti-Lukashenko protests in Belarus heavily feature the flag that the country used immediately after independence in the early 90s. A Belarussian enthusiastically brandishing the current flag might be seen by some as showing support for Lukashenko.
                                Last edited by Trickstat; 09-09-2020, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X