X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post
    100% sure he would have kept his position on his team.
    Kaepernick lost his starting job before he ever took a knee, and after he took a knee, he wasn't cut, he opted out of his contract because he thought he was worth more on the open market,

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    What about all the years South Africa was banned from the Olympics because of apartheid? What is that if not a political statement?
    Which led to the Zola Budd and the British citizenship fiasco.....a low point in British track.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Somewhat relevant here, but USOPC is now allowing protests at the Trials. from the News release and guidelines (also posted on the home page). Ofcourse these dont apply at the Olympics.
    Originally posted by USOPC
    Racial and Social Demonstrations (as defined below) will not be punished or undermined by the USOPC, nor will they affect an athlete’s participation rights at a U.S. Olympic or Paralympic Trials event

These are examples of conduct that will be considered an R&S Demonstration:
    • Wearing a hat or face mask with phrases such as “Black Lives Matter” or “Trans Lives Matter” or words such “equality” or “justice”.
    • Orally advocating for equity/equal rights for Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) individuals, or other historically underrepresented, marginalized or minoritized populations. • Holding up one’s fist at the start line or on the podium.
    • Kneeling on the podium or at the start line during the national anthem.
    • Advocating for equal treatment of underrepresented, marginalized, or minoritized groups around the world, or against systemic barriers to such equal treatment.
    • Advocating for communities free from police violence, or against systemic police discrimination against Black individuals or other marginalized populations

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    What about all the years South Africa was banned from the Olympics because of apartheid? What is that if not a political statement?
    I assume political statements by the whole 'Olympic Movement' are treated differently.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post

Seems like thoes examples add to the hypocrisy of how the rule is enforced.
    I think it was David Wallechinsky, in one of his Olympics books, who said that athletes had sometimes been subject to disciplinary actions for making the wrong political point at the Olympics rather than making a political point. Generally, this has meant that those showing support for their governments have often escaped censure.

I suppose it might be argued by some that carrying any flag is a political statement. I think this could be true for certain countries. For example, the anti-Lukashenko protests in Belarus heavily feature the flag that the country used immediately after independence in the early 90s. A Belarussian enthusiastically brandishing the current flag might be seen by some as showing support for Lukashenko.
    Last edited by Trickstat; 09-09-2020, 06:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by Fortius19 View Post
    Did Cathy Freeman get any official IOC heat for doing a victory lap with the Aboriginal flag in '00?

Did Leo Manzano for taking a victory lap with American and Mexican flags?

I don't remember any for either.

Seems like it could qualify under "political" re: rule 50
    Seems like thoes examples add to the hypocrisy of how the rule is enforced.

Leave a comment:

• Fortius19
    replied
    Did Cathy Freeman get any official IOC heat for doing a victory lap with the Aboriginal flag in '00?

Did Leo Manzano for taking a victory lap with American and Mexican flags?

I don't remember any for either.

Seems like it could qualify under "political" re: rule 50

Leave a comment:

• lefterisp
    replied
    Thank you Ms Berry for speaking up. It is hypocritical in an event that promotes social justice between people as expressed by the spirit of competing in equal terms not to take the opportunity to demonstrate and emphasize the injustice in this world.

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    requires registration
    This link might not.
    https://www.wral.com/i-used-the-podi...d-me/19274472/

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    requires registration

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    Gwen Berry was sanctioned for raising her fist on the winner's podium, now she's calling out the IOC's hypocrisy

https://sports.yahoo.com/gwen-berry-...125936472.html
    I could not find a separate thread for Gwen Berry's issue with the IOC, but felt her NY Times Opinion video today (from the same series featuring Cain, Felix, and Montaño) was noteworthy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/07/o...s-protest.html

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    read the Darrell Hill material on the home page
    Yes, interesting pair of articles. I've been a fan for a while, even while he was being overshadowed by Crouser, then Kovacs. Obviously intelligent and well-spoken.

will be 27yo this Aug

2015 - NCAA 2, USA 6, 68-5.25
    2016 - OT 3, DNQ for OG Final, 70-11.75
    2017 - USA 4, WC 11, 73-7.5 !!
    2018 - USA 1, 73-6 !
    2019 - USA 3, WC 5, 73-4 !

Will be fun to watch him, RC and JK in 21 AND 22
    Last edited by Atticus; 06-14-2020, 07:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    steering the thread back to its original focus, if you haven't read the Darrell Hill material on the home page, you should do so. (not behind a paywall)

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Something like that would be a fine idea at Hayward for 2022.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X