X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wiederganger
    • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    What she meant to say was she couldn't handle her top speed as well as she had in the past,
    I agree with this, that was what she meant

so she needed to relearn what optimal speed felt like.
    Not sure meant that bit though, but maybe she did. But, either way, handling top speed is a skill, and even the very best struggle.

Interesting when you look at run-up speeds in Sydney 2000, Drechsler's best jump had the highest run-up speed compared to Jones's best jump, as was Fiona May's best jump. Jones did have faster ones...but they were all fouls. Her best legal jump was not as fast as HD's or May's, who were obviously much slower athletes.

For men, Robert Emmiyan - who's technique in the air is probably my favourite of all-time - had that typically exaggerated run-up running action, but his acceleration before he hit the board was superb. He will always go down as my favourite technique I think, men or women.

Comment

• Atticus
      • Jul 2014
      • on task

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
      Robert Emmiyan - who's technique in the air is probably my favourite of all-time - had that typically exaggerated run-up running action, but his acceleration before he hit the board was superb. He will always go down as my favourite technique I think, men or women.
      The hang looks so . . . lackadaisical . . . , esp. compared to the hitch-kick, but this video demonstrates your point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_EmmiyanAt age 16, Robert Emmiyan jumped 7.77 meters, the best jump in the world for his age group.Emmiyan started competi...

a fun LJ video also

Here is another Top 10 ! Tell me your opinion in the comment part !↓ MUSICS AND LIST ↓List : 10. Greg Rutherford (GBR)9. Jesse Owens (USA)8. Larry Myricks (U...

In a Captain Obvious observation, I'll say that Mike Powell had the best VV for his (excellent) HV.

At the 1991 World Championships in Athletics (Tokyo), he broke Bob Beamon's almost 23-year-old long jump world record by 5 cm (2 inches), leaping 8.95 m (29 ...
      Last edited by Atticus; 06-30-2020, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Wiederganger
        • Jul 2019

The hang looks so . . . lackadaisical . . . , esp. compared to the hitch-kick, but this video demonstrates your point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_EmmiyanAt age 16, Robert Emmiyan jumped 7.77 meters, the best jump in the world for his age group.Emmiyan started competi...

Ah, yes, I've seen this before, I love it!

Comment

• jc203
          • Jul 2014
          • Santa Barbara

This thread has been all about LJ but I have the idea that Atticus started it as Best Technique with no stipulation about event. With that in mine I'd add this guy and offer my opinion that no one in any event has ever shown more perfect technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1GAx_7hXv0

Comment

• Atticus
            • Jul 2014
            • on task

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
            This thread has been all about LJ but I have the idea that Atticus started it as Best Technique with no stipulation about event. With that in mine I'd add this guy and offer my opinion that no one in any event has ever shown more perfect technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1GAx_7hXv0
            Yes, absolutely.
            My TJers had to watch him on every rainy day we had, after we hit the weight room.
            Other video models

High Hurdles - Skeets / Sally Pearson
            300H - Edwin Moses
            HJ - D W I G H T for his arm-swing
            PV -was Bubka, but while his technique was perfect (for him), his straight-leg swing is very very hard to do, so switched to Hartwig's tuck, which is just as effective and much easier to do.
            LJ - It was Heike Dreschler for the hang
            TJ - JE!

Comment

• Tuariki
              • Dec 2010
              • Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              That wouldn't make much sense. Besides being more dangerous...
              If you went into a ball you would likely end up doing over one and a half turns.

In my opinion the bio-dynamics of the flip make it a much better way to jump.
              However, in order to do that one has to have cognizance of time and space during the somersault - something I never had which is pretty obvious when one sees my landing.

As for danger? I don't think so; certainly not for someone who has the gymnastic time and space awareness. And especially if I could do it. And believe it or not this is from someone who has never done a somersault into a swimming pool.

Comment

• Atticus
                • Jul 2014
                • on task

Nigerian-born Norwegian w100 NR-holder at 11.10, demonstrating some hops. I used to have my TJers do similar stuff, tho perhaps not looking as good at it.

Comment

• Atticus
                  • Jul 2014
                  • on task

I love this video of Allman breaking the AR in wDT.
                  No one can ever convince me that the left-side-block-no-follow-through-spin is a better model than this.

here's Schult doing the block - good sequence at 0:50 mark of video. It's impressive, and I understand the bio-mechanics of the block, just don't think it's better.

Jürgen SCHULT is a German former track and field athlete and as of 2019, the world record holder in the discus throw with 74,08m. Holding the title since 198...

Other superior mark techniques I don't buy.

A. Merritt's swim move over the hurdle and G Foster's over-active trail arm action over the hurdle, vs. Nehemiah's tight arm carriage.
                  Many Eastern Euro HJ ladies raising of lead arm before jumping vs, Dwight's double-arm drive.

i'm still on the fence about the TJ double-arm off the board (CT) vs. JE's single arm.

Bubka's trail leg straight sweep vs. tuck.

Hang vs. scissor kick LJ (men).

Glide vs. spin SP.

My caveat is that it probably depends on what the athlete feels most comfortable with, but there HAS to be a bio-mechanical advantage of one over the other . . . unless . .. it depends on body-type and personal strengths/weaknesses.

I had to pick one model for each of these events to coach my (HS) athletes, so the latter ones are the ones I went with.
                  Last edited by Atticus; 08-02-2020, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• Powell
                    • Oct 2005
                    • right here

The hang looks so . . . lackadaisical . . . ,
                    No world-class athlete has ever looked as lackadaisical as Inessa Kravets, and yet she's still the WR holder after 25 years.
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• wamego relays champ
                      • Oct 2005

I love this video of Allman breaking the AR in wDT.
                      No one can ever convince me that the left-side-block-no-follow-through-spin is a better model than this.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1289745841792544769
                      Here's a different angle slo-mo version of the same throw.

Comment

• Atticus
                        • Jul 2014
                        • on task

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                        Here's a different angle slo-mo version of the same throw.
                        Even in slo-mo, you can see the tremendous crescendo effect of her smooth acceleration!

Comment

• xw
                          • Jul 2014
                          • the centre

I vaguely remember that Klishina switched from the hitch to the hang, and a cursory search on Youtube affirmed that, it was somewhere between 2012 and 2014. Based on her yearly performance progression on WA website, it didn't make much of a difference, but I wonder if there are more examples of this kind of technical change, should be interesting.

Incidentally, how many prominent 110m hurdlers changed their approach to first hurdle from 8 steps to 7 mid-career?
                          Last edited by xw; 08-03-2020, 03:26 AM.

Comment

• Atticus
                            • Jul 2014
                            • on task

Originally posted by xw View Post
                            Incidentally, how many prominent 110m hurdlers changed their start from 8-steps-to-the-1st-hurdle to 7 steps mid-career?
                            If ya wanna be among the best these days, ya gotta at least try it.

Comment

• xw
                              • Jul 2014
                              • the centre

However if you look at the all time top 20 marks, most of them were run before the 7-step approach became the norm (somewhere around 2010 if I'm not mistaken?)

Comment

• Atticus
                                • Jul 2014
                                • on task

Originally posted by xw View Post
                                However if you look at the all time top 20 marks, most of them were run before the 7-step approach became the norm (somewhere around 2010 if I'm not mistaken?)
                                Even elite hurdlers have had trouble getting 7 without serious overstriding, aka running slower. You are saving time by taking one less stride, but if you're not over the first hurdle at high speed, you're sunk.

Comment

Working...
                                X