Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post

My opinion is that of all the things the records committee considers, this is a good one to be flexible on, given the circumstances. Under normal circumstances, I too would be side-eying an intrasquad meet.
    The Records Committee is bound by requirements in the Rules of Competition. Should we amend the Rules to remove some of the restrictions on number of competitors, number of teams, advance advertising, etc., in the event of government-imposed restrictions?

This is a rules year.
    Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

• Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

Were they published? The results link only has lap splits, which, indeed, look quick.

My question was not clear. I was wondering about the individual 1500m leg splits, which I still cannot find on those results pages.
      There won't be any of those unless there were cameras at each exchange zone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Master403 View Post
        The Records Committee is bound by requirements in the Rules of Competition. Should we amend the Rules to remove some of the restrictions on number of competitors, number of teams, advance advertising, etc., in the event of government-imposed restrictions?This is a rules year.
        Aye, Cap'n!

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

There won't be any of those unless there were cameras at each exchange zone.
          one would hope that the BTC staff would at least have taken whole-second splits.

Comment

The Records Committee is bound by requirements in the Rules of Competition. Should we amend the Rules to remove some of the restrictions on number of competitors, number of teams, advance advertising, etc., in the event of government-imposed restrictions?

This is a rules year.
            Any rule changes would only apply moving forward, they would not be retroactive. We just went through this with the citizenship issue.

Here is what the rules currently say about records as it pertains to multiple teams

No record shall be acceptable unless it is made in a bona fide scratch running competition, or a bona fide handicap or scratch competition in a field event, open to two or more clubs, schools, colleges, or other organizations, which has been fixed and advertised before the day of competition, and which is included in the printed program together with the names of the entrants for the events. A record may be accepted in a handicap race, provided the performance is set in a race in which (1) all competitors start from the same line, (2) no one has started before the competitor claiming the record and (3) the race is timed in accordance with Rule 165.4. At least three competitors, and in relays at least two teams, shall be bona fide and have participated in the event in which the record purportedly was established. In field events, a handicap competition may be combined with the scratch competition. In Men’s and Women’s Track and Field, Long Distance Running, Race Walking and Masters Track and Field, no record shall be acceptable unless it was made in an event that had been sanctioned by USATF, a member organization of USATF or another member Federation of IAAF by competitors eligible to compete under IAAF Rules.
            It just feels weird to force them to take a token athlete from outside their club in order to meet this rule, when it would do nothing to change the outcome of the meet, and under the circumstances would increase the risk to their health.

The rule exists for a reason. I don't want to get rid of the rule.

I also hate to see really legitimate marks rejected for records, when complying with this rule would have made the athletes less safe. Isn't athlete safety supposed to be the most important thing?

Comment

This is a rules year.
              What about required doping control?

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post

What about required doping control?
                USADA is still functioning. For an American Record, they just have to get a test within 24 hours. My opinion is that should still be required.

Comment

Any rule changes would only apply moving forward, they would not be retroactive. We just went through this with the citizenship issue.

Here is what the rules currently say about records as it pertains to multiple teams

It just feels weird to force them to take a token athlete from outside their club in order to meet this rule, when it would do nothing to change the outcome of the meet, and under the circumstances would increase the risk to their health.

The rule exists for a reason. I don't want to get rid of the rule.

I also hate to see really legitimate marks rejected for records, when complying with this rule would have made the athletes less safe. Isn't athlete safety supposed to be the most important thing?
                  Especially now with video evidence these days....
                  Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-01-2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

Were they published? The results link only has lap splits, which, indeed, look quick.

My question was not clear. I was wondering about the individual 1500m leg splits, which I still cannot find on those results pages.
                    LR reported Houlihan's "split" as 4:05.

Price ran another 2:01 (2:01.71 in addition to the 2:01.47 she ran a couple/few weeks ago). And that was by not taking the lead, as her coach is having her work on different racing strategies. So, presumably she could have run faster. She's setting up a nice comeback story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Especially now with video evidence these days....
                      Video evidence of what?

Comment

Video evidence of what?
                        The conditions of a meet. Cheating can still happen, even if the meet is filmed, but there is more transparency these days than there was 20-30 years ago.

Comment

• Was this result posted already?

Valarie Allman - Discus Throw - 70.15m
                          Almost a meter longer than the previous American Record

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDXeMUgn-fQ/

This was at the Iron Wood Throwers Center in Idaho, but not sure the name of the meet.
                          Last edited by ATK; 08-02-2020, 01:11 AM.

Comment

The conditions of a meet. Cheating can still happen, even if the meet is filmed, but there is more transparency these days than there was 20-30 years ago.
                            Wow. I am surprised that anyone would think that defining bona fide competition was to prevent cheating.

I should have started a new thread. If anyone could split these posts off to get thoughts on a possible rules modification, I would appreciate it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                              Was this result posted already?
                              Valarie Allman - Discus Throw - 70.15m
                              Almost a meter longer than the previous American Record
                              https://www.instagram.com/p/CDXeMUgn-fQ/
                              This was at the Iron Wood Throwers Center in Idaho, but not sure the name of the meet.
                              Yowza!

Comment

video has nothing to do with the main methods of fudging the results.

Comment

Working...
                                X