Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2032 Olympic candidates emerge

Qatar - https://apnews.com/d77b90179cab64ff4b006f5f050ba96e

St Petersburg and Moscow - Russian requires a translator- https://m.sport-express.ru/olympics/...mpression=true

Joint German bid - https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...-2032-olympics

Obviously it is early days but it shows there is interest in staging the games. Pretty outrageous of Russia to show an interest after the last few years of claims and evidence of state organised doping

Originally posted by AldousZX View Post
    Qatar
    St Petersburg and Moscow
    Gee, what could go wrong there in the interim?

Comment

If the Tokyo Games never happen, perhaps that might be a further contender??

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
        If the Tokyo Games never happen, perhaps that might be a further contender??
        i can't cite a specific source at this point, but I'm pretty sure I read recently that if '21 doesn't come off Tokyo is out of the biz for the foreseeable future

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
          i can't cite a specific source at this point, but I'm pretty sure I read recently that if '21 doesn't come off Tokyo is out of the biz for the foreseeable future
          So the implication is that Tokyo somehow is to blame?

Comment

It might be more like Tokyo isn't too keen...

Anyways in that front page story about cursed Olympics....as if Japan was a completely innocent bystander before 1940.

Fast forward to 2020 and Tokyo is now grappling with the “cursed Olympics,” as Aso put it. It wasn’t the sort of rhetoric his boss, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, wanted in the headlines.

But Aso has a point. In the early 1940s, Tokyo and Sapporo were slated to host the summer and winter Olympics, respectively—both cancelled amid World War II. Here Tokyo is, once again, on the hook for untold tens of billions of dollars of spending on an Olympics that, best case scenario, is delayed by a year.

Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-28-2020, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              So the implication is that Tokyo somehow is to blame?
              you're reading my post backwards: statement means that Tokyo has chosen not to pursue it, not that IOC won't consider them

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                you're reading my post backwards: statement means that Tokyo has chosen not to pursue it, not that IOC won't consider them
                OK, thanks. I should have inferred that first.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                  It might be more like Tokyo isn't too keen...

Anyways in that front page story about cursed Olympics....as if Japan was a completely innocent bystander before 1940.
                  The government was not an innocent bystander, but the members of JOC were.

I saw this Japanese drama a few months ago, and it showed how they tried to save the Games against all odds to no avail. Of course, when they produced it last year, NHK had no idea what we would be going through by now. But I was watching those episodes, I could help thinking about the ironic parallel to 1940.

(The story goes from Japan's first Olympic in 1912 to the 1964 Games in Tokyo.)

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/o...ype=tvEpisode&

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaten_(TV_series)

Comment

How about Christian Cantwell's son, 12-years old, a mere 6'4, 206 lbs?
                    He just (AAU JOs) threw the 6-pound shot 56-07.5 to set a national age-group record.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      How about Christian Cantwell's son, 12-years old, a mere 6'4, 206 lbs?
                      He just (AAU JOs) threw the 6-pound shot 56-07.5 to set a national age-group record.
                      Good grief, can you imagine trying to keep that kid fed for the next few years?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                        Good grief, can you imagine trying to keep that kid fed for the next few years?
                        Puh-leeeez! No football for this kid!
                        With CC as his dad, maybe we get to keep him.

Comment

Working...
                        X