Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USATF-Black Lives Matter T-shirt

USATF is now selling a t-shirt with the likenesses of Tommie Smith and John Carlos on the awards stand at Mexico City, with the message< "Black Lives Matter, They Always Have". !00% of proceeds will go to Equal Justice Initiative. Considering the way Smith and Carlos were treated by AAU/USOC, it would be a nice gesture if part of the proceeds went to them. I suppose the copywrite on their image has expired?

Copyrights are not patents. Copyrights don't expire for 75 years in the USA

Comment

I am just grateful to see these great athletes finally getting some of the recognition that they so richly deserved back then.

Comment

I'm no lawyer, but I think any copyright protection would be for the creator of the photograph, rather than the athletes pictured.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
          I am just grateful to see these great athletes finally getting some of the recognition that they so richly deserved back then.
          Unfortunately the current rules would still have them face repercussions if they did the same thing today.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
            Unfortunately the current rules would still have them face repercussions if they did the same thing today.
            While the Powers-That-Be cannot condone political 'demonstrations', the punishment for it it should be some nominal fine (which supporters would be glad to pay).
            The problem, of course, is that not all political statements are ethical or moral.
            History is on the side of Smith & Carlos, and now Kaepernick, but there will always be some that are loathsome (KKK/Nazi, etc..)

Comment

Which did happen last year at Pan Ams.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                Which did happen last year at Pan Ams.
                Straight from Gwen Berry's open letter back in June:

"What infuriates me is the IOC’s own museum, in Lausanne, promotes and celebrates the importance of equality and respect. The IOC web site praises the sacrifice of athletes like Tommie Smith, John Carlos and Muhammad Ali for their protests, that brought attention to issues of race and equality—and yet the IOC destroyed Tommie and John’s careers.

The IOC’s website for athlete support, Athlete365, also recognizes the sacrifice and impact of the protests of Tommie, John and other athletes like Lee Evans.

Yet, the new Rule 50 for the Olympics ban any type of similar protest.
                "

Comment

Yet, the new Rule 50 for the Olympics ban any type of similar protest.
                  While I agree that there must be a 'rule' about this sort of thing, the consequence needn't be punitive at all.
                  If you're going to use your athletic prowess as a bully pulpit, put your time and energy into something that supports the cause. Too many people just want to make the grand gesture and don't back it up with anything of substance.

Comment

an e-mail i got

<<I ordered one as soon as I saw the promo email. With shipping it was $57.02!! See if one of your investigative journalists wants to try and find out how much of the $57.02 is NET PROCEEDs and donated to the BLM charity.>>

Comment

Amazing how many supposed charities are scams...

Comment

The Equal Justice Initiative, which is the charity these funds are designated for, is a highly-rated organization by Charity Watch (A+) and Charity Navigator (100/100).

https://www.charitywatch.org/chariti...ice-initiative

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ry&orgid=12756

Comment

Nothing happened to Feyisa Lilesa when he staged a political protest in Rio

Comment

That is possible, but my point is that it is nice to have recognition given to these great sprinters.Hopefully it will get more people to Google their performances, and not just their protest.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post

That is possible, but my point is that it is nice to have recognition given to these great sprinters.Hopefully it will get more people to Google their performances, and not just their protest.
                              Its not possible, its fact. Gwen berry was suspended by the IOC last year for doing the EXACT same thing Carlos and Smith did.

Unfortunately I have a problem with the IOC recognizing them in the way they do. Over the decades, Smith and Carlos and have been celebrated for their protest not their performance. The IOC has used their protest to promote struggle, sacrifice etc. but at the same time, keep have the rule on the books that essentially got them banned.

They are shouting "Look at these Olympic Heroes!" but at the same time saying "don't try and replicate what they did or we will suspend you". Pure hypocrisy.

Comment

Working...
                              X