Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sprint volume per session

I am new to this forum so I appreciate any advice. Looking for some clarity in regards to max sprint volume in a session. I am using the 50-100 meter distance per rep at 90-95 percent maximal effort, 1-2x a week. I vary the volume per session. Is 300-500 meters of total volume per session to much? Example , 10x50 meters or 5x100 meters with maximal recovery, 1 min per 10 meters (5-10 mins rest)?

Simplified answer: greatly depends on your current fitness.
    10 x 50 at 90-95% with full rest seems is doable, but 5 x 100 near max is a bit more problematic.
    The 100s are running starts, I presume. Out of blocks is a different workout and typically NOT 100m,
    One day for starts up to 50, another day for speed endurance (150m is better for that).

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Colby.

Comment

Welcome to the forums. Agree with Atticus, a lot depends on how fast you are. If you are a 10.3 100m guy, both the 10x50 and the 5x100 at 90-95% will be very difficult to do at a true 90-95% level of performance.

If you are an 11.5 or 12.0 guy, less so. Bodyweight plays a role as well, in my personal experience. As does your personal volume tolerance. I always did better with less volume and higher intensity. Have seen a lot of sprinters do better with more volume and a little lower intensity on the special endurance work.

Generally for all-out runs, the rule of thumb I've seen is 200-350m for acceleration and MaxV work (less total distance if running 10-20m runs, and more if running 30-40 or 50m accels) - but 10x50 would be high by any measures. And 100m runs at that pace would be considered speed endurance or special endurance - and volume could be anywhere from 300m to 1200m. If you search speed endurance and special endurance 1 and 2, it will give you some good suggestions on volume and recovery.

Finally, if you're just getting back into sprinting, take your time getting to 90-95%, even if your 90% is slow right now.

Comment

Originally posted by deca View Post
          As does your personal volume tolerance. I always did better with less volume and higher intensity. Have seen a lot of sprinters do better with more volume and a little lower intensity on the special endurance work.
          Yup.
          Generally, it's more volume, less intensity in the pre-season, and less volume, higher intensity as you near the most important races.
          And there's always time for technical work on start, stride, body-lean, arm carriage, knee-left, relaxation, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Yup.
            Generally, it's more volume, less intensity in the pre-season, and less volume, higher intensity as you near the most important races.
            And there's always time for technical work on start, stride, body-lean, arm carriage, knee-left, relaxation, etc..
            Yep, and the age-old short to long vs. long to short perspective on annual programming. Clyde Hart's 20x200 down to 3x200 tempo workout being a classic long to short workout over the course of a year. Some of Charlie Francis' accel work going from sled pulls to 20x10 to 15x15 to 10x20 to 15x20 and so on up to accel-float-fly, etc in a short to long speed template. Those 2 aren't mutually exclusive either. I always liked a long to short model for tempo (moving from extensive to intensive tempo) and short to long for speed work. And then for the speed/special endurance described above really varying it based on the athlete and their capabilities, fitness, speed, etc. And Event.

Comment

Originally posted by deca View Post
              sled pulls to 20x10 to 15x15 to 10x20 to 15x20
              My favorite pre-season stuff for my peeps were sleds pulls and plyos. The next day had to be all technical, cuz it was such a B-Yotch.

Comment

Working...
              X