Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from where I sit, what tilts the scales in Warholm's favor—even though physically I think Benjamin still has the biggest upside—is that as we have seen, "rhythm" is crucial to fast times in the 400H, and while neither Benjamin nor Samba have run a single race this year, Warholm now appears to be in a groove where he can produce a low-47 pretty much on demand.

Perhaps even more importantly, in the last 3 years, Warholm has run 20 finals, compared to 12 for Samba and 10 for Benjamin (with the two latter having exactly 0 this year). He's got the advantage in being prepared for that tough final straightaway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

So because Benjamin is only 23 he will continue to improve as he matures, but because Warholm is an old 24 he is already mature and therefore won't mature??
      It's not the age that intrigues me, it's that RB has yet to seriously implement a 12-stride attack. *IF* he can do that successfully, it gives him a step forward that Warholm very likely doesn't have at his disposal.
      I don't know if he'll be able to successfully manage 12 strides. But I know he *could*.

Comment

• Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
        It's not the age that intrigues me, it's that RB has yet to seriously implement a 12-stride attack. *IF* he can do that successfully, it gives him a step forward that Warholm very likely doesn't have at his disposal. I don't know if he'll be able to successfully manage 12 strides. But I know he *could*.
        Not sure the 12 stride really buys Benjamin very much. The athlete has to do what is best for his carriage. It may or may not be a benefit. Watching the historical record, Im not sure that Kevin Young owes even a 1/100s of a second to 12 strides. I doubt he would have been slower with 13 or 14 all the way around. It may seem like a superior approach but is it really ?.. Im skeptical. It is like asking a motor t produce a certain amount of HP with a lower RPM. Well you may train the body to produce more torque and it may feel more "efficient" but the result may not be as expected.

The 400H is an amazing event, it is a true sifter that separates out great athletes, it is a one event Decathlon. Only a few events in the sport register like it, others to my mind are the 110H, LJ, TJ, PV and SP.
        Last edited by user4; 09-16-2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
          He's got the advantage in being prepared for that tough final straightaway.
          Which he didn't used to have. He goes so hard through 8 that he can just 'hold on' and run sub-47. I agree that this year's experience puts him a leg up (pun!) on Benj and Samba.
          As for the 12s, he is at his absolute limit to get 13, and does so admirably through his ability to maintain speed while over-striding. If Samba or Benj can put some 12s in, then they have a chance to beat him. If their 13s are more comfortable than W's, they also have a better chance to finish faster. I would HAVE to think W will be leading at 300.

Comment

Working...
          X