Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Athlete of the Year?

So with the 2020 season winding down, who are your favorites for Athlete of the Year?

Personally, my vote is for Warholm. He competed frequently, won every competition by a wide margin, has the 5 fasted performances in the 400h this year (slowest performance is over a second faster than the next best performance), set a World Best in the 300h, ran the #3 time this season (as of now) in the flat 400m, and produced 3 of the top-10 all-time performances in the 400h. The only thing missing was a WR. I haven't followed the pole vault as closely, but how do those achievements compare with Mondo's season?
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 09-17-2020, 08:58 PM.

Sorry, but Warholm isn’t even Scandinavian athlete of the year Mondo hands down wins the award.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd put Warholm ahead of Crouser

Comment

Mondo competed a lot more and was unbeaten in 15 competitions so far (5 indoors, 10 out), with 2 absolute WRs and best ever outdoor mark. Warholm has had just 5 400H races, plus one each at 300H, 400 outdoors and 400 indoors. I'm a huge fan of Warholm, but at this point I would give it to Mondo.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

How about female AOY? Nobody has really had an AOY-worthy season. Should it be Muir?
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Wow, I"m glad I asked and color me embarrased because I wasn't aware of how good Mondo's season had been. I'd just been so impressed by how remarkable Warholm's performances have been this summer that I'd assumed his season was better than anyone else's. Good call on Crouser, as well. His consistency has been remarkable although he hasn't impacted the top-10 performance list as much as Warholm has. Also, I'm not sure how it's typically weighed in the AOY voting, but I would think it's more difficult to compete as frequently in an event like the 400h than it is in the Shot Put. Not sure much of a toll and drain pole vault competitions take on an athlete. This reminds me a little bit of '95 when there were so many athletes put together amazing seasons and performances that Jonathan Edwards didn't win AOY despite his multiple-world-record season.

Originally posted by Powell View Post
            Mondo competed a lot more and was unbeaten in 15 competitions so far (5 indoors, 10 out), with 2 absolute WRs and best ever outdoor mark. Warholm has had just 5 400H races, plus one each at 300H, 400 outdoors and 400 indoors. I'm a huge fan of Warholm, but at this point I would give it to Mondo.

Comment

How about female AOY? Nobody has really had an AOY-worthy season. Should it be Muir?
              yeah, to this point it's kind of a "d, none of the above" choice. Muir would be the first person I'd think of just off the top of my head.

Comment

She'll be in there for the 1500.
                Top three marks, 57, 57, 58, undefeated.

Comment

I've got nothing against Mondo, but if you take away his amazing indoor season, does he still come out ahead of Warholm (who can't compete at 400IH indoors obviously)?

Comment

1. Mondo
                    2. Crouser
                    3. Warholm

If Warholm can get the WR then I would reverse 2 and 3.
                    And no one else even remotely being in the running.

The only female who could beat Muir is probably Hassan if she turns up in Doha and does something spectacular in the 3,000m.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                      1. Mondo
                      2. Crouser
                      3. Warholm

If Warholm can get the WR then I would reverse 2 and 3.
                      And no one else even remotely being in the running.

The only female who could beat Muir is probably Hassan if she turns up in Doha and does something spectacular in the 3,000m.
                      I'm curious why some of you are ranking Crouser ahead of Warholm. The only category I see Crouser out-performing Warholm in is total number of wins and volume of high-level marks, which I think are unfair comparisons given how many more marks a thrower is able to produce than a runner, especially if you're counting multiple marks within the same competition. This year Warholm produced 4 of the all-time top-10 performances (2nd, 8th, 9th, & =10th) in the 400h, while Crouser has "only" added 1 to the all-time top-10 (4th) in the shot put, though he's added 6 additional performances within the all-time top-20 (if you count ancillary throws). How does T&F News usually handle the differences in number-of-marks between different events, and the inclusion of multiple marks within a single competition for field eventers versus the single mark available to runners?

Comment

I agree basically with Grasshopper. I think picking Crouser over Warholm is splitting hairs more than anything and I actually give the edge to Warholm considering how frequently he has run so fast in such a short time frame. 400mH is not made for multiple back to back races, let alone in 47.1x or better. His last 3 races were all run within the past 10 days!

I do think the ancillary throws skew perception here. Crouser has been amazing, but not exactly sure if its clearly or much better than Warholm.

Mondo is #1 though for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                          I agree basically with Grasshopper. I think picking Crouser over Warholm is splitting hairs more than anything and I actually give the edge to Warholm considering how frequently he has run so fast in such a short time frame. 400mH is not made for multiple back to back races, let alone in 47.1x or better. His last 3 races were all run within the past 10 days!

I do think the ancillary throws skew perception here. Crouser has been amazing, but not exactly sure if its clearly or much better than Warholm.

Mondo is #1 though for sure.
                          After reviewing the all-time lists again I realized that 2 of the marks ahead of Crouser in SP are from Randy Barnes so as far as T&F News is concerned, Crouser’s produced the =#2 and =#9 marks this season, much more on par with Warholm. He actually only won one more outdoor competition than Warholm, 7 For RC and 6 for KW.

If we’re just including outdoors, other than Mondo’s outdoor world-best, I don’t think his season’s all that much better than Crouser’s and Warholm’s. He’s had 10 wins vs Crouser’s 7 and Warholm’s 6 (all we’re undefeated), and his top 5 performances were #1, =9, =33, =43, & =43 all-time, versus =2, =9, 11, 12, & 25 all-time for Crouser and 2, 8, 9, =10, & 92 for Warholm (plus his world-best in the 300h).

Mondo has the edge on top performance and total victories, while Warholm has the most top-10 performances and probably the biggest gap over next-best in his event, and Crouser has the most top-25 performances (and bonus for unbelievable consistency if you add in ancillary marks). Not a bad top-3 for such a sparse season!

Comment

Shelby Houlihan has had a pretty good season, although some might not like her race selection in a year when many Americans did not venture out (were substantially constrained). She had range with 2:01/4:02/14:23 (and a 8:48 on the same day as the 5000, and I think that she paced that race then just continued; although a memory is now filtering in that it might have been her 3000 split in the 5000 and is a slower pace /1000m than the 5000). She also anchored a WB in the 4x1500 but that was a soft record and relays do not really count.

SAFP and ET had some pretty good marks as well.

Comment

As far a Couser goes, even having the #2 and #9 marks does not really capture how fabulous his season has been. Almost everyone else is throwing 21m at best; after is initial meets, there are very few fouls and almost no throws that are not over 22m. He has the best 6-throw series, and just ripped off one of the best 5-throw series that is not even making that much news. That is incredibly consistent in an event where there is typically a low more variance. Does someone have a tally if his Fouls, 21m and 22m throws?

Comment

Working...
                              X