Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
    IIRC, there were several seasons that Lewis didn't run any serious 200s.
    As a matter of fact, there were more years when he didn't than those when he did.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Fantastic interview on front page with one of my all time favorite track athletes, Bershawn Jackson. What an inspiration. It is a constant in this sport that we tend to think that we know what a given event's athletes should look like. Bershawn shattered the image of what I thought a 400mH guy should be and dominated the event. He will always be in my pantheon of 400H greats.
      Last edited by user4; 10-05-2020, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• Who will be TaFNews Athlete of the Year? Mondo or Joshua?

Comment

• To quote a very wise man:

Originally posted by AS View Post
          What if Cheptegei breaks Bekele's 10000m WR in Valencia next week?

Comment

• I go now with Cheptegei

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
              It's also possible that their agents have something to do with this. They may feel that the match-up is worth more than any meet director is willing to pay. There is precedent for this happening in the case of major rivalries in the past.
              Always thought 2 things that could have helped keep interest in T&F in the early 80s was if 1) Coe and Ovett had raced against each other frequently, similar to Gunder Hagg / Arne Andersson in the 40s; and 2) if Carl Lewis had run more frequently in the USA. But neither happened - mostly because they were probably chasing the Benjamins, and the sport starting sinking into oblivion

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                It's also possible that their agents have something to do with this. They may feel that the match-up is worth more than any meet director is willing to pay. There is precedent for this happening in the case of major rivalries in the past.
                I'm sure their agents definitely have something to do with it as well as their coaches. But it's a bit of a 'cutting your nose off to spite your face' situation.

The thing is, it didn't stop Ottey, Privalova & Torrance racing against each other week in week out - and occasionally Devers. And though the men did it less in some eras, remember how hyped the Lewis v Johnson Zurich clash was in 88? It was fantastic!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                  I go now with Cheptegei
                  I loved his solo runs, preferring them to competitive tactical races, but he only competed against the clock. I'd call either one the Performance of the Year, but Mondo competed for his wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Always thought 2 things that could have helped keep interest in T&F in the early 80s was if 1) Coe and Ovett had raced against each other frequently, similar to Gunder Hagg / Arne Andersson in the 40s; and 2) if Carl Lewis had run more frequently in the USA. But neither happened - mostly because they were probably chasing the Benjamins, and the sport starting sinking into oblivion
                    Well said!

Comment

• Originally posted by AS View Post
                      To quote a very wise man:

Already discussed on page 2.

https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...the-year/page2

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        I loved his solo runs, preferring them to competitive tactical races, but he only competed against the clock. I'd call either one the Performance of the Year, but Mondo competed for his wins.
                        I could go either way, but I agree with Atticus that Mondo's level of competition vis-a-vis Cheptegei enhances his resume. When Geb and Bekele set the previous WRs, they usually accompanied them with OG or WC golds. No fault of Cheptegei's that there were no Olympics, but it underscores the lack of competition he faced.

Now, if Crouser had set the WR in the shot, this would be a conversation for 2nd place. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          3 WRs for both
                          Cheptegei in 3 events
                          Mondo 1cm increments in same event

No denying the brilliant competition record of Mondo but I believe 3 WRs in different events is significantly superior to the 3 incremental WRs of Mondo.

PVers, and to a lesser extent HJers, have always had an (unfair???) advantage in being able to set multiple WRs.

Comment

3 WRs for both
                            Cheptegei in 3 events
                            Mondo 1cm increments in same event

No denying the brilliant competition record of Mondo but I believe 3 WRs in different events is significantly superior to the 3 incremental WRs of Mondo.

PVers, and to a lesser extent HJers, have always had an (unfair???) advantage in being able to set multiple WRs.
                            Do road 5ks (or 10ks for that matter) count in T&FN AOY consideration? I thought only the marathon was considered.

Comment

• Originally posted by bobguild76 View Post

I could go either way, but I agree with Atticus that Mondo's level of competition vis-a-vis Cheptegei enhances his resume. When Geb and Bekele set the previous WRs, they usually accompanied them with OG or WC golds. No fault of Cheptegei's that there were no Olympics, but it underscores the lack of competition he faced.

Now, if Crouser had set the WR in the shot, this would be a conversation for 2nd place. :-)
                              Cheptegei could win the World Half and check the "championship" box.

Comment

I believe 3 WRs in different events is [significantly]* superior to the 3 incremental WRs of Mondo.
                                *statistically

I loves me my stats, but AOY does need to be challenged by the best of THIS day. Gidey faces the same problem. I'm not sure anyone regards her a Tokyo Gold fave, but she sure is the WR-holder. At least Chep is that - in both events now.

Comment

Working...
                                X