Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If You Could...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by El Toro View Post

    If you are talking Britain, then the government has set its priorities by selling off school playing fields for commercial development.
    Ouch!

    Comment


    • #62
      Some schools have subbed in the TJ for PV.

      There are times when I wouldn't mind doing HT instead of JT.

      I also like the idea of all four jumps and throws being offered and you take your best three scores from each.

      Or, we could go back to the one day "All Around" competition consisting of: 100y, SP, HJ, 880y walk, HT, PV, 120y HH, 56# WT, LJ, mile.

      Comment


      • #63
        The decathlon is great as it is. However it can always be improved. I really like Alan Sigmon's idea to allow buying an extra attempt! However, I really dislike the idea of bringing in the steeplechase. The event is tough enough already!

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Retread View Post
          The decathlon is great as it is. However it can always be improved. I really like Alan Sigmon's idea to allow buying an extra attempt! However, I really dislike the idea of bringing in the steeplechase. The event is tough enough already!
          It may be the case that the steeplechase would deters more athlete than the pole vault does know.

          Back in the '80s, a thrower from my local club here in England, volunteered to run the 3000 'chase to help out the club in a league match. He took 18 minutes! Someone removed one of the barriers from the track not realising that he hadn't finished, so he stepped of the track to hurdle it. I think he did hurdle all the barriers rather than use his hands.

          Comment


          • #65
            I love when people would rather eliminate the decathlon for men than allow women to do it.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Retread View Post
              . I really like Alan Sigmon's idea to allow buying an extra attempt!!
              No, No, No.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                I love when people would rather eliminate the decathlon for men than allow women to do it.
                I'm with you, Becca. I don't know why anyone would deny women that equal opportunity. They will adjust and adapt.

                Comment


                • #68
                  If I swapped out - would be PV for TJ. That’s what they did when Bo Jackson won state HS dec championship in I believe it was Alabama).

                  What I would like is a triathlon or quadrathlon that could be on a normal meet circuit or even in HS and College meets. 100 or 110H –LJ-Disc-800

                  Could be done in 2 hours easily and at the start of a meet. Would even out scores to balance for pure sprint type orientation and even out The economic access.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by deca View Post
                    What I would like is a triathlon or quadrathlon that could be on a normal meet circuit or even in HS and College meets. 100 or 110H –LJ-Disc-800
                    Since HSs allow 4 events, it would be interesting to have a Quad - 100H/110H, SP, HJ, 800.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      I like having the PV included. I've never been a vaulter but it seems to me it presents a unique challenge to competitors from other events and the development of unique skills more so than, say, the TJ. I think the idea of a standard triathlon for smaller meets is also a great idea!

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        So for the triathlon 400 (maybe 800?), PV, SP?

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          the problem with triathlons is that it's hard to come up with a 3-event combo that is "fair" to all decathletes, given that their strengths can vary markedly from person to person.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            What's the point? Watching someone do high school performances in 3 events?

                            The decathlon as an Olympic sport has some public appeal because of the 2 day grind.. But I can't imagine a 3 event thing being very interesting with stuff like 2 minute 800s.
                            Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-28-2020, 12:07 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                              What's the point? Watching someone do high school performances in 3 events?

                              The decathlon as an Olympic sport has some public appeal because of the 2 day grind.. But I can't imagine a 3 event thing being very interesting with stuff like 2 minute 800s.
                              What’s the interest in track for anyone besides track buys anyway?

                              A good 3 event comp over a 30-60 minute period at a diamond league meet with great multi guys would be good fun to watch and fun to see if other athletes would hop in and try. A run a jump a throw.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                                I'm with you, Becca. I don't know why anyone would deny women that equal opportunity.
                                Equal opportunity and decathlon? LOL. That's putting an ox and a moron together.

                                The pole vault and decathlon are the most unequal-opportunity events in the sport, with big disparities in access along socioeconomic, racial, gender, and geographic lines.

                                They will adjust and adapt.
                                Yes, they'll adapt ... by leaving the sport or choosing another event when the heptathlon is removed. However many girls and young women are around the world training for the heptathlon, the number who'll train for the decathlon will be less than half of that, unless access to the pole vault is massively increased worldwide, or the pole vault is replaced.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X